Full-Time Executive Director
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OPPORTUNITY: MassEquality
MassEquality is the statewide grassroots advocacy organization working to ensure that everyone across Massachusetts can thrive each and every day without discrimination and oppression based on sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Since transitioning in 2007 from a single-issue coalition focused on marriage equality to a multi-issue advocacy organization working to ensure that LGBTQ people are safe and free to live open and authentic lives, MassEquality has achieved numerous legislative and electoral victories. The organization known as ‘MassEquality’ is comprised of two non-profit entities and a PAC: MassEquality.org, a 501(c)(4) social welfare organization; MassEquality Education Fund, a 501(c)(3) charitable and public education organization; and the MassEquality PAC, a Massachusetts-level Political Action Committee. Having been under interim management while undertaking community outreach and needs assessment, MassEquality now seeks a dynamic new leader with roots in community organizing to work closely with MassEquality’s boards as it embarks upon its next chapter.
A UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY
At this critical juncture in the organizational life cycle, the boards of MassEquality have decided to narrow its focus to align with articulated community needs and available resources. In the coming months, MassEquality will launch a new initiative aimed at addressing needs of specific geographic and/or cultural communities outside the immediate Boston area. Through a mix of community organizing and local advocacy, our goal is to empower and engage LGBTQ citizens and allies to effect change in their home communities. We plan to focus on our electoral program in priority communities while curtailing our statehouse lobbying efforts.
We seek an innovative thinker with a broad set of skills who can attend to administrative detail while initiating planned action, identifying and supporting local leadership, and providing technical assistance to local organizing efforts.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
The candidate will be an experienced organizer deeply invested in the mission of MassEquality. Experience with non-profit operations including fundraising, financial management, Board and donor relations, program development, and HR are important.
Leadership and Management
• Provide strategic vision and direction for MassEquality, balancing long range strategies with day-to-day management
• Direct the organization according to policies, procedures and strategies developed and approved by the Board of Directors
• Ensure that the Board of Directors is fully informed of the condition of the organization and other critical factors, risks, and opportunities influencing it, including board and committee meeting preparation
• Maintain sound financial and HR practices, including budget preparation, monitoring cash flow and reserve funds, AR/AP, working with contract accountant to generate financials for Board review, compliance with all laws and reporting requirements, as well as oversight of contracts, consultants and vendors
Community and Donor Relations
• Engage, negotiate and maintain appropriate roles and relationships with key leaders, stakeholders, funders, partners and volunteers
• Coordinate gift processing, tracking and acknowledgement
• Guide and support individual and corporate fundraising efforts, in cooperation with the Board
• Guide the development and implementation of communications and social media strategies
• Conduct official correspondence of the organization and, with designated Board officers, execute legal documents
KEY PERSONAL QUALITIES
• Ability to lead with passion, enthusiasm, and energy, motivating individuals and organizations to deliver their best work
• Demonstrated commitment to relational leadership, inclusion, and diversity
• Capacity to be a decisive and fair leader who can develop a multi-cultural organization, motivate constituencies, and manage organizational transition
• A robust sense of humor and deep well of patience to engage multiple stakeholders and nurture a growing organization
• A deep commitment to MassEquality’s mission and strategic direction
• Minimum of five years professional experience with demonstrated responsibility in non- profit operations and management
• Community organizing experience that has included coaching and staff supervision
• Experience with board management and development
• Ability to think creatively about ways to improve the effectiveness of internal systems and structures
• Ability to communicate effectively, in both written and verbal form, with diverse constituencies
• Active listening skills, a collaborative work style, and exceptional time management ability
• Financial management acumen
• Cultural competency with the LGBTQ community and the ability to develop and thrive in a cross-cultural environment
• Comfort working in multiple roles of an organization during transition
• Flexibility to work from a home office as necessary
• A valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle to travel around the commonwealth
• Experience with organizational change: managing growth, downsizing and/or change in strategic direction a plus
• Experience with QuickBooks online and 501(c)4 organizations a plus
MassEquality offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience. A strong benefit package is also offered including medical/dental insurance, 401K retirement program, and generous paid time off (vacation and holidays).
How to ApplyTO APPLY Please send your resume and a meaningful cover letter describing your interest and qualifications to Info@massequality.org. In the subject line please write: “ED, Last name, First name.” Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible; applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
212 total views, 1 today