Full-Time Chief Operating Officer
Turnaround for Children translates the science of learning and development into tools and services for schools to help all students thrive, particularly children who have been impacted by adversity. Turnaround equips educators to reduce stress, increase engagement in learning and accelerate academic achievement through school partnerships, professional development trainings and consulting services. With Turnaround’s assistance, schools learn how to help their students develop the social, emotional and cognitive skills and mindsets they need to succeed in school and life.
Informed by 16 years of practical experience in schools and a deep knowledge of the science of learning, Turnaround has grown into a leader in the field of whole child development, with an annual budget of $11 million. This year, Turnaround’s tools and services will impact approximately 50,000 students and more than 4,000 educators through partnerships with District of Columbia Public Schools, KIPP DC, New York City Department of Education, Summit Learning and Relay Graduate School of Education.
This exciting footprint is the result of a wave of interest in healthy development as a critical component of a child’s learning experience. Today, Turnaround is experiencing unprecedented demand for its applied science professional development and consulting services from school districts, charter management organizations and other education organizations across the country – and continues to build a team that ensures the organization is internally equipped to capitalize on this swell of opportunity. Click here to learn more.
About the Position
As Turnaround positions itself to meet the increased demand for its expertise, it must evolve its strategy and internal resources, structures and processes to effectively and efficiently deliver its tools and services at scale. The newly designed role of Chief Operating Officer will partner closely with the CEO on developing an operating model that brings meaningful scale into alignment with program impact and sustainability. This work includes leading a facilitative strategic planning process, ensuring the effective operationalization of the plan and managing teams through empowerment and development. The COO plays an integral role in determining how the organization should organize its people and systems to fulfill its mission and manages a majority of the internal day to day operational functions.
Ideal candidates know how operationalize strategy and execute annual planning and bring expertise in financial modeling and developing an earned revenue strategy. Candidates must also demonstrate significant skill in trust and relationship building and have experience in leading people through organizational change. Candidates should be comfortable leading in entrepreneurial environments, able to make quick decisions, clearly set priorities and pivot easily based on emerging market information.
Responsibilities & Outcomes
● Lead strategic planning and annual planning processes; operationalize plans and progress monitoring of all goals
● Integration of strategy, continuous improvement, and innovation into planning processes, decision making processes and business modeling
● In partnership with senior leaders, lead the creation, refinement and evolution of the business and earned revenue model
● Manage, support and strengthen the organization’s operational functions including, Finance, IT, Talent and Administration, and the Executive Office
● Lead the design and facilitation of the leadership team body, including purpose, protocols, culture and process for decision-making and problem-solving
● Drive the strengthening of organizational culture to ensure the team has the clarity to deliver on goals and staff members feel empowered to make an impact
Core Skills Required
● A sense of urgency in relationship to Turnaround’s work and a deep-seated commitment to supporting Turnaround’s mission and living the organization’s core values
● Strong conviction about leveraging diverse assets and the power of diversity, equity and inclusivity to create breakthrough results
● Extensive leadership experience at the executive or senior management level, ideally overseeing the operational functions of an organization and making complex organization-wide decisions
● Fluency in financial analyses and modeling in relation to supporting strategic decision-making and managing organizational performance
● Experience leading inclusive, collaborative strategic and/or annual planning processes
● Superior leadership abilities, with a track record of creating processes to support accountability while managing, motivating and developing high performing, results-oriented teams
● Strong organizational awareness and sensitivity with proven listening and influencing skills; ability to build consensus and facilitate collaboration and problem solving
Additional Skills & Experiences
● Experience developing and executing an earned revenue strategy and creating business plans rooted in market research
● Expertise in developing a pipeline of leaders that can serve as key decision-makers and thought leaders
● A creative problem-solver; able to foster and champion innovative ideas and solutions
● Willingness to challenge ideas and to enthusiastically debate, yet accept, embrace, and fully support the chosen path
● High level of self-awareness and reflection with orientation towards continual learning and with comfort in leading with vulnerability
Compensation, Values & Location
● Turnaround has an comprehensive benefits package, including; Medical (Turnaround covers a large portion of the premium); Dental, Vision, Life, AD&D and STD Insurance (Fully paid by Turnaround); Flexible Spending Accounts (Medical, Dependent Care, and Commuter Benefits); 403(b) Plan with 3% matching; Voluntary Benefits (Critical Illness/Cancer Care, Accident, and Hospital); Veterinary Pet Insurance; Life Assistance Program; generous PTO, Summer Fridays; 8 weeks paid maternity/paternity leave; professional development support; and ongoing staff engagement opportunities rooted in our values.
● Vision: Our vision is that one day all children in the United States will attend schools that prepare them for the lives they choose. To fulfill this promise, Turnaround creates evidence-based tools and services that help all students, no matter how much adversity they experience
● Values: Turnaround has four core values: (1) We inquire, we learn, we innovate, we share; (2) We interact with understanding and act with integrity; (3) We seek diverse perspectives and confront uncomfortable truths; and (4) Together, we can change the odds.
● Status and location: This is a full-time, exempt role based in New York.
Turnaround for Children is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot be used as a basis for an employment decision. Candidates of color and from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply
How to ApplyThis search is being managed by Axis Talent Partners. Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter detailing their interest in our mission and qualifications for the position to: https://axistalentpartners.applytojob.com/apply.
80 total views, 1 today