Full-Time Chief Financial Officer
About the Organization:
Making Waves was founded in 1989 as an education support program to help address the disparity in educational opportunities for low-income students in Richmond, CA and to help them prepare for and graduate from college. For decades, through comprehensive programming and services, Making Waves has helped prepare and support first-generation college students to graduate from competitive institutions across the country.
In 2007, Making Waves Academy (MWA) Middle School was founded and the Making Waves Academy Upper School opened in 2011. MWA currently serves about 940 students in grades 5-12 and 95% or more of its first four graduating classes were accepted to college.
The first phase of a five-year strategic growth plan is underway, with the charter for Pittsburgh recently approved and the campus set to open in 2020. In the future, MWA will ultimately grow to serve roughly 6,000 students on three K-12 campuses, while its sister organization, Making Waves College and Alumni Program (CAP) will continue to support up to 2,000 of its alumni in persisting through college.
About the Position:
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) will join the executive team of Making Waves Academy Schools – which leads on key strategic priorities, challenges and approaches – reporting to and partnering closely with the CEO on daily operational issues, strategic growth and expansion plans, and other strategic financial matters. The CFO also works closely and must effectively engage and communicate with a range of internal and external stakeholders including the Board of Directors, the Making Waves Foundation executive team, and the state authorizer.
Managing a team of three, the CFO ensures proper accounting systems, policies, and controls and the accuracy and integrity of records to meet compliance regulations and audit standards. Ideal candidates bring significant finance leadership experience including in a California public or charter school setting. Exceptional candidates are also highly effective team managers and outstanding communicators.
Key Responsibilities & Outcomes:
• Executive Leadership & Strategic Growth: Advise executive team and stakeholders on financial strategy and planning to align with priorities and goals; thought partner with the executive team to prepare for expansion, leading long term financial projections and modeling.
• Financial Management: Maintain best practices, systems, accuracy, and integrity in accounting and finance, with oversight of budget and audits.
• Reporting & Compliance: Ensure compliance benchmarks and audit reviews are met; lead generation of reporting and presentation of financial information and projections.
• General Management: Develop and support a high performing finance team; build strong relationships with key internal and external stakeholders.
• Minimum of 10 years working directly in accounting or finance, with at least five years in a senior financial leadership position;
• Experience in – or significant knowledge of – California public or charter school accounting, finance, budget, and audit procedures as well as federally-funded program procedures;
• Track record of building, motivating, and developing finance or accounting teams;
• A Masters in Business Administration (MBA) and a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Management;
• Passion for and commitment to MWA’s mission of preparing first generation college students to graduate from college;
• Commitment to results; “can-do” mindset; outstanding problem-solving ability;
• Excellent organization, problem-solving, and analytical skills; and
• Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary for this position is highly competitive and commensurate with experience. MWA also provides innovative and comprehensive benefits, including cost of living stipends, tuition assistance and forgivable home loans after three years of service.
How to ApplyThis search is being managed by Axis Talent Partners. Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter detailing their qualifications for the position and their interest in MWA’s mission specifically to: https://axistalentpartners.applytojob.com/apply
69 total views, 1 today