Full-Time Advocacy Manager
Position: Advocacy Manager
Salary Range: $60,000 – 80,000 annually
Best Consideration Date: Friday, October 21, 2022
Estimated Offer Date: Friday, December 2, 2022
Start Date: Wednesday, January 3, 2023
DEIA Commitment: We are committed to mitigating bias in our hiring processes and creating diverse candidate pools. You can learn more later in this position description.
Who We Are: ANCOR is the nation’s leading voice in Washington for providers of community-based intellectual and developmental disabilities (I/DD) services. Our growing community comprises nearly 2,000 private I/DD provider agencies, state provider associations, and community partners and employs a workforce of more than a half-million dedicated professionals supporting more than 1 million people with I/DD in the US.
What We’re Looking For: ANCOR seeks an Advocacy Manager to join our Government Relations team. This new team member will be responsible for the coordination of advocacy outreach activities and support of all legislative and regulatory efforts. Reporting to the Vice President of Government Relations, the Advocacy Manager will also work closely with the other two professionals who compose ANCOR’s Government Relations team: the Director of Federal Relations and the Director of Policy, Regulatory & Legal Analysis.
We’re looking for someone with:
- Exceptional written and interpersonal communication skills.
- The ability to handle multiple and competing issues in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment with minimal supervision.
- An eagerness to learn legislative, budgetary and regulatory processes.
- Sound judgment and the ability to analyze situations and information.
- A strong commitment to advancing diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility.
Ideal Experience, Background & Skills
We’re excited to talk with you about this opportunity if you have:
- A minimum of 1-3 years of professional experience working with campaigns, issue advocacy, or other relevant public policy-related experience.
- A demonstrated ability to create and coordinate advocacy strategies.
As Advocacy Manager, you’ll spend your days:
- Developing and implementing advocacy plans.
- Creating grassroots tools such as action alerts and capacity-building resources.
- Managing ANCOR’s Grassroots Work Group.
- Supporting the work of the Vice President of Government Relations and the Director of Federal Relations to lobby federal legislators.
- Developing and editing content for ANCOR’s weekly federal policy newsletter, Capitol Correspondence, as well as occasional contributions to ANCOR’s other content channels, such as our monthly newsletter, Connections.
- Crafting lobbying reports on behalf of the Government Relations team.
- Tracking developments and reporting issues related to ANCOR’s core policy priorities.
- Assisting in the management of the ANCOR Disability Champions PAC.
- Delivering technical assistance to ANCOR members on topics related to issue campaigns and policy priorities.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
The right candidate will join the ANCOR team at an exciting time, as we are growing rapidly in both size and stature. Most members of the ANCOR staff are based near our headquarters in Old Town Alexandria, Virginia. This greater DC-based position is hybrid, with the expectation that you will work remotely when you are not actively attending meetings with staff, members, policymakers, and coalition partners. Occasional travel will be required, such as to ANCOR’s Annual Conference, held each spring in a different location within the United States.
Why Work With Us: The anticipated salary range for this position is $60,000 – 80,000 annually. ANCOR is proud to offer an excellent benefits package, including comprehensive health, vision, and dental coverage; retirement contributions; several weeks of paid vacation; up to 16 paid holidays each year; paid time off for volunteering; a flexible work schedule and more.
ANCOR is also proud to be an equal opportunity employer. People with disabilities, people of color, immigrants, members of the LGBTQ community and religious minorities are especially encouraged to apply because we believe diverse perspectives enhance our work.
How We Intend to Mitigate Bias in the Hiring Process: We explain our hiring process both to demonstrate our commitment to anti-bias hiring practices, and because ANCOR’s process may be a bit different from what you have experienced applying for jobs elsewhere. Please note the following:
- Application Period (September 21 – October 21) Upon submission of your application and before sharing your application with the hiring manager, the hiring coordinator will remove any and all references to your name (including your email address), mailing address, the educational institutions you attended and the previous organizations where you worked.
- Hiring Manager Review Period (October 25 – October 27) Applications will not be released to the hiring manager until the “for best consideration” application deadline has passed. Applications submitted after this date may be reviewed if an offer has not already been accepted by a candidate for the position.
- Skills Assessment Round (October 28 – November 2) After the hiring manager has done an initial review of the applications, they will select ten applicants or 1/3rd of the candidate pool, whichever is greater, to advance to a skill demonstration round. The hiring coordinator will then reach out to the selected candidates with further instructions. Candidates will have at least three business days to complete the assessment exercise. At the end of the three business days, the hiring coordinator will forward all completed skills assessments to the hiring manager.
- Panel Interviews Conducted (November 14 – November 17) Five applicants or 1/3rd of the candidate pool, whichever is greater, will advance to a face-to-face virtual panel interview Within seven business days of the last completed interview, the candidate pool will be narrowed down to three applicants.
- Finalists Contacted (November 22)
- Final Round Interviews (November 29) The candidates will then have a final round of interviews with the hiring manager, ANCOR’s CEO, and any other individuals deemed integral to the hiring process by the hiring manager.
How We Actively Work to Encourage Diversity in the Hiring Process: ANCOR acknowledges that anti-bias hiring practices do not always lead to a diverse candidate pool. As a result, ANCOR will ensure that at least one member of its diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA) team is involved in the interview process.
- Before commencing face-to-face interviews, this team member will review the applications to ensure that diverse voices remain a part of the candidate pool of semi-finalists and finalist candidates.
- To do this, we ask candidates to self-identify as diversity-enhancing during the application process.
- The following list is not all-inclusive, but rather just a sampling of what we would consider diversity-enhancing. List: age (40 years and up), biological sex, commitment style, economic status, ethnicity, gender expression, gender identity, invisible differences, military service, national origin, native language, physical ability, race, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, a non-listed federally protected class, etc.
- Only the hiring coordinator will have access to this information.
- Upon receipt of the hiring manager’s candidate list, a general review of the pool diversity will be conducted by referencing the diversity-enhancing disclosures. If diversity is evident in the pool, the search will continue. If diversity is not apparent in the pool, the hiring coordinator will ask the hiring manager to re-evaluate their choices. This process will continue until the candidate pool reflects at least a minimum measure of diversity.
- For this position, our Director of Education and Intersectional Collaboration will serve as our hiring coordinator.
How to ApplyTo be considered for this opportunity, please click on the application form, read the instructions carefully and complete the application. For best consideration, please apply by Friday, October 21, 2022.
193 total views, 0 today