Full-Time School Maintenance Technician
Mary McDowell Friends School is a Quaker K-12 college preparatory program dedicated to the success of students with learning disabilities.
Mary McDowell Friends School (MMFS) invites applications for the position of School Maintenance Custodian beginning immediately.
The school maintenance technician is a position in the facilities department providing high quality and effective preventative maintenance, repair, and general custodial services to all building equipment, academic spaces, and administrative offices at Mary McDowell Friends School ensuring a welcoming and safe environment for students, staff and visitors. The school has three campuses in the Cobble Hill/Carroll Gardens/Brooklyn Heights neighborhoods. This position is assigned to our Lower School in Cobble Hill, a very active 7 floor, 35,000+ sq ft building, but may cover duties at other locations as needed. The person in this position works as part of a team of incredibly dedicated maintenance workers and custodians. This position reports to the Chief Operations Officer and the Assistant Director of Facilities.
The ideal candidate is skilled, highly organized, hard-working, reliable, and cares about the work he/she/they do. In order to be considered for the position, the candidate must have training and experience in plumbing, electrical, HVAC/boiler troubleshooting, repairs, and preventative maintenance. In addition, the person must be able to handle physical labor involved with moving furniture and equipment, cleaning high traffic common areas, preparing for and cleaning up after large events, snow removal, and dispersing deliveries in a very active school building.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time (40 hours), 12-month, hourly position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m.; schedule to be determined upon hire. Evening and weekend hours are required as job duties demand, as well as for meetings and special events with advanced notice. Occasional emergency on-call hours may also be required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
This position requires current FDNY Certificates of Fitness for FAS (S95), F1, F3, F4, and F7. The person hired must be detail-oriented, good at maintaining records, and able to be flexible with responsibilities and schedule when needed. This position will require occasional evening and weekend work. Painting, minor carpentry, and snow removal are also part of the duties of this position. Experience using stripping, buffing, and extracting machines is a plus. Strong time management skills are critical. Excellent problem-solving skills are required.
- HS diploma or GED is required
- Minimum of two (2) years experience as a maintenance worker; school maintenance experience preferred
- Must demonstrate professional proficiency in the English Language
- Must demonstrate proficiency in verbal and written communication as well as communication etiquette for phone, email, radio, and in-person interactions
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals, and architectural drawings
- Ability to properly and safely operate all building, maintenance, and custodial equipment
- Ability to read and follow SDS documentation on proper chemical storage, usage, and disposal
- Must demonstrate knowledge of proper use of Personal Protective Equipment
- Must demonstrate knowledge of MMFS’s safety policies and procedures (verbal and/or written)
Physical Requirements & Environmental Conditions
The physical and environmental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential responsibilities and functions of the job and are not meant to be all-inclusive.
- Use strength to lift and transport items needed to perform the functions of the job, with the ability to lift up to 100 pounds independently and support team lift with reasonable accommodations. Physical work is a primary part (more than 70%) of the job.
- Sit, stand, bend, kneel, crouch, and squat for prolonged periods of time and/or repeatedly over a required period of time.
- Reach with and work with hands and arms overhead.
- Exposure to variable and unfavorable climate and weather conditions.
Diversity and Equity Commitments – All employees are expected to participate in all school-wide diversity training and equity initiatives.
In compliance with NYC’s Pay Transparency Act, the base hourly rate for this non-exempt position is $23-$29/hour. Mary McDowell Friends School considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, essential skills, internal peer equity, and market and organizational considerations when extending an offer.
How to ApplyApplication To apply, please upload a resume, cover letter (preferred), and contact information for three professional references as a .pdf (preferable) or word document to our employee portal. Your references will only be contacted if you are being considered for the position. We offer a rewarding work experience in Brooklyn, NY. The school has an ongoing commitment to the principles and practices of diversity and inclusiveness and strongly encourages applications from candidates who would enhance the diversity of the school's staff. If your background and experience are appropriate for the position, you will be contacted directly by a member of our search committee.
179 total views, 2 today