We are seeking a Publicist to join our team at Catapult/Counterpoint/Soft Skull. The ideal candidate will have several years of publicity experience, preferable with a trade book publisher focusing on high-quality fiction and nonfiction; media contacts and familiarity with both major and niche media outlets; have exceptional written and verbal communication skills, a proven ability to juggle projects and duties, demonstrated organizational skills along with creativity, a strong passion for reading (both for books we publish and books in the market), and knowledge of the contemporary literary world.
People of color, people with a disability, veteran, immigrant, refugee, and LGBTQI+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Candidates must be well read, have impeccable attention to detail, the ability to be proactive and problem-solve, and a communication style that instills confidence in authors, editors, and agents. The ideal candidate will be reliably self-managed, adaptable, and motivated to meet deadlines, learn new skills and actively participate in a thriving literary community. We are keen to find someone who thrives in the high-paced publicity world (not someone who is looking to make a transition into marketing or editorial).
We are searching for candidates who enjoy networking with the media, representing our books at industry-related events, and who enjoy putting themselves out there (on social media) to share their love for the books they are working on.
The position will report directly to the Associate Publisher/Senior Publicity Director. This position is based in New York City.
Our publicist will have the following responsibilities; however, this is not an exhaustive list:
– Design and execute targeted media and event campaigns for A and B-list titles, including narrative non-fiction, biography, fiction, current events, travel, politics, poetry, environment and memoirs (approx. 16-20 titles per year)
– Create media lists and maintain publicity databases (knowledge of Cision/Meltwater a plus)
– Develop tailored press materials (including press releases, author praise sheets, email pitches, and more) while overseeing review copy mailings.
– Pitch books to media contacts, including print, online, television, and radio, with follow-ups via email and phone.
– Analyze and report on the efficacy of PR outreach in weekly meetings
– Attend industry conferences/conventions/festivals, author events, and in-person media meetings
– Attend and report on author readings/events
– Build relationships with and liaise directly with cultural influencers
– Targeted outreach to bookstagrammers, BookTubers, Goodreads reviewers and more
– Brainstorm event pairings/ideas with our Events Coordinator (along with pitching local media for our many events)
– Contribute creative ideas and new approaches to book publicity
Proficiency in the following software platforms is preferred: Meltwater and/or Cision, Google Drive, Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, Mailchimp.
ABOUT CATAPULT/COUNTERPOINT/SOFT SKULL:
Catapult, Counterpoint, and Soft Skull Press have distinct editorial teams but share marketing, publicity, design, and production resources. Our Catapult list offers a space for risk-taking writers from all over the world to collide and be in conversation, bringing you literary fiction and artful narrative nonfiction from voices, emerging and established, that honor the craft of writing and broaden the literary landscape in America and beyond, serving the needs of a diverse and serious literary readership. Counterpoint’s list covers a wide array of genres—fiction (both story collections and novels) and nonfiction (both narrative and subject-driven), all of which collectively focus on current affairs and politics, counterculture, history, the environment, memoir, literary biography, religion, and philosophy. Soft Skull Press publishes books of every genre that engage art, culture, and current events in new and radical ways. All three imprints are committed to publishing diverse voices and literature in translation.
Counterpoint’s main office is in Berkeley, California. Catapult and Soft Skull are based in NYC. All books are distributed by Publishers Group West.
Job Type: Full-time
3 years experience required in book publicity
Please send a resume and cover letter to Megan Fishmann at jo**@ca******.co
How to ApplyPlease send a resume and cover letter to Megan Fishmann at firstname.lastname@example.org
901 total views, 0 today