Full-Time Press Secretary
Position: Press Secretary
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Exempt, Full-time
Reports to: Director of Restore Public Trust
Restore Public Trust, a new project of the New Venture Fund working toward accountability and transparency in government to root out corruption and malfeasance, seeks a Press Secretary to support its work.
The Press Secretary will be responsible for producing, releasing, and pitching communications products; executing communications plans; and overseeing rapid response activities. The position requires excellent written and verbal communication skills, the ability to think strategically about communications and research, incredible attention to detail, and strong multi-tasking and organizational skills. A flexible personality, sense of humor, and positive attitude are also essential.
This position is based in Washington, DC. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Draft press materials, including talking points, press advisories and releases, op-eds, and memos in support of communications plans and goals.
- Develop tiered media targets for one-off story pitching and broader, long-term communications objectives and relationship building.
- Manage release of press products and coordinate organization’s response to resulting media inquiries and requests.
- Pitch reporters, editors, editorial boards, columnists, bloggers, and television/radio bookers to cover communications products and research.
- Utilize news of the day and internal original research to take advantage of rapid response opportunities.
- Produce detailed reports of campaign activities, successes, and case studies as needed, including weekly communications reports.
- Serve as a spokesperson for Restore Public Trust with partner organizations, key stakeholders, and media, as needed.
- Remain flexible and perform additional duties, as required.
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- 3- 5 years of professional work experience.
- Exceptional writing skills for both press and general audiences; writing should be sharp, personable, and memorable; ability to write in the voice of others.
- Ability to frame complicated research products as communications products and identify communications needs based on research.
- Smart judgment and ability to anticipate how others will respond to our work.
Calm in a crisis, and with great instincts.
- Expertise in working independently and juggling competing priorities with strict deadlines.
- Proven track record for being a self-starter.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Flexible personality.
- Commitment to social justice
New Venture Fund Careers
The New Venture Fund (NVF) is a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
How to ApplyEmail cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Press Secretary Applicant” in the subject line.
47 total views, 1 today