Full-Time Press Assistant
Position: Press Assistant for Allied Progress
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Exempt, Full-time
Reports to: Communications Director, Allied Progress
Launched in 2019, Accountable.US is a nonpartisan watchdog group exposing corruption across all levels of government and holding our policymakers accountable. The projects at Accountable.US use traditional research tactics, such as public records requests, financial disclosure review, voting record analysis, and more to identify who is influencing public policy debates and why.
Allied Progress, a project of Accountable.US, seeks a Press Assistant to support its work exposing special interest influence over the policymaking process on consumer financial and economic issues, including the student debt crisis, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, and consumer credit policy.
The Press Assistant will assist with rapid response, media relations, and promotion of our hard-hitting research on social media. This position requires incredible attention to detail, solid written and verbal communication skills, social media savviness, and superior organizational abilities.
This position is based in Washington, DC. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Monitor opportunities to advance Allied Progress’ positions and values;
- Build and maintain press lists;
- Co-draft, copy edit and distribute press releases, mass emails, op-eds, blog posts, memos, and other materials as needed;
- Work with the Accountable.US digital team to produce and distribute engaging content on social media
- Post materials online and update websites
- Co-produce detailed weekly reports of project activities and communications;
- Participate and take notes on important meetings and conference calls;
- Perform other duties, as required.
Preferred Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience;
- Minimum experience of one year in communications, public relations, or advocacy;
- Familiarity and aptitude with using social media as an earned media tool;
- Issue advocacy and strategic experience preferred;
- Basic understanding of consumer financial issues preferred;
- Excellent writing skills; writing should be concise, sharp, and memorable.
- Detail-oriented with an ability to work independently and juggle competing priorities and strict deadlines;
- Calm in a crisis, with great instincts;
- Basic graphic design and website development skills a plus;
Accountable.US is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Our work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working
How to ApplyHow to Apply Email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Press Assistant Applicant” in the subject line.
66 total views, 1 today