Full-Time Outside Plant Construction Technician II
As the Outside Plant Construction Technician II you will performs the installation of PON/fiber network communications facilities (both buried and aerial) in accordance with industry and TDS standards. You will operate construction equipment which includes, but is not limited to, trenchers, backhoes, end loaders, and plows in order to place fiber facilities. Installs, tests, troubleshoots, and repairs aerial and underground fiber facilities within TDS Telecom serving areas.
This position is eligible for a $5,000 sign-on bonus! (Payout terms apply)
The pay range listed for this position represents the low and high end of the base compensation range. The actual offer amount will carefully consider multiple factors, such as relevant skills, qualifications, work experience, location and/or competencies that align with the specified role. Certain positions are eligible for additional forms of compensation such as bonuses and equity awards.
TDS Telecommunications LLC (TDS Metrocom/TDS) is a leading provider of fiber internet service. With more than 50 years of experience, the growing communications company is building and deploying new, fiber optic networks in neighborhoods across the country to deliver up to 2 Gigabit internet speeds to homes and up to 10 Gigabit internet speeds to business. In addition, TDS provides innovative TV entertainment and advanced phone services. Visit tdsfiber.com to learn more.
TDS provides communications services for more than 1,100 rural and suburban communities in the United States. The company employs more than 3,300 people nationwide and is a subsidiary of Telephone and Data Systems, Inc. (TDS Inc.), a Fortune 1000® company [NYSE: TDS]. Founded in 1969, Telephone and Data Systems provides wireless, broadband, video and voice; and hosted and managed services to approximately 6 million connections nationwide through its businesses: UScellular, TDS Telecom, and OneNeck IT Solutions. Telephone and Data Systems, Inc. has been named to several Forbes lists, including America’s Best Employers for Diversity, Best Large Employers, and Best Employers for Women. Visit tdsinc.com for more information.
- Performs general construction labor in various weather conditions while utilizing safety fundamentals.
- Operates construction and other excavating equipment to construct and maintain outside plant fiber facilities.
- Performs the placement of new aerial and buried fiber according to maps, staking sheets, and locate markings.
- Reviews and updates GIS, maps, addresses, as-builds.
- Sets peds, vaults, and handholes along with marking/labeling fiber optic and/or copper facilities.
- Proficiently operates all test equipment associated with outside plant facilities and construction duties.
- Installs, troubleshoots, tests, splices, repairs, and maintains fiber optic facilities.
- Identifies location of defective fiber using various test equipment and repairs buried, aerial, underground, and/or customer fiber.
- Locates cable and fiber in response to customer requests and/or construction needs.
- Performs cable fault acceptance tests on newly constructed facilities.
- Ensures worksite and landscape is fully restored after project completion.
- Trains and mentors personnel as directed by supervisor or team lead.
- Services, cleans, maintains, and repairs equipment.
- 1+ years of construction equipment operation utilizing various underground and aerial construction equipment such as directional drills, trencher/plow/rocksaw, backhoe, or bucket trucks -OR- current military service, or prior military service with honorable discharge.
- Must follow the TDS attendance guidelines in order to meet TDS’s business needs including but not limited to our obligations to our customers and to our customers’ needs.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license and remain eligible for DOT requirements.
- Must have the ability to obtain a Class A CDL. A current CDL is preferred at hire, but TDS will train and certify eligible associates through its in-house CDL certification program after hire.
- Physical requirements may vary based on company needs: Ability to climb poles, ladders, towers, and other structures as needed. Ability to kneel, dig, lift, and pull.
- Upon hire, must successfully complete customer-specific requirements, which may inlude a background check administered by the customer.
- Preferred 1+ years’ experience in the construction of fiber optic cable outside plant networks -OR- installation of any underground or overhead utilities will be considered.
- Understanding of telecommunication products and services.
- Proven organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
- Requires being available for on-call/standby responsibilities and may require occasional travel.
- Must be willing to work overtime as needed. May be required to work various/swing shifts as business needs dictate.
- Must be able to operate vehicles with manual transmissions.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must also be able to climb poles, ladders, towers or other structures. The employee is occasionally required to sit, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions and may have to work in attics and crawl spaces, or high-risk areas such as high voltage electrical, trenches, and manholes. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and heavy equipment; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme cold, and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is at times loud.
Associates scheduled to work 20 or more hours per week have access to medical, dental, vision, life insurance, a 401(k) plan, and paid time off benefits such as vacation (15 days accrued per year for full-time; pro-rated for part-time associates working between 20-39 hours), sick leave (10 days accrued per year for full-time and pro-rated for all other associates), seven paid national holidays and one floating holiday, paid parental leave (2 weeks after 12 months of employment), among others. Short Term Disability and Long Term Disability coverage is also available for associates working 30 or more hours per week and Education Assistance is available to full-time associates. Associates scheduled to work under twenty hours per week or for a limited term (i.e. interns) are eligible for medical coverage, the 401(k) plan (if 18 or older), as well as sick leave (10 days accrued per year for full-time and pro-rated for all other associates). For more detail on the benefits we offer click here.
At TDS, we embrace Equal Employment Opportunity by valuing our differences and consider all qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by law. To learn about our diversity & inclusion philosophy and culture, click here!
How to Applyhttps://external-telecom-teldta.icims.com/jobs/20903/outside-plant-construction-technician-ii/job?mode=view
159 total views, 0 today