Full-Time Director, Gender & Sexuality Center
Brandeis University is delighted to announce a career opportunity as the Director of the Gender and Sexuality Center (GSC). The GSC at Brandeis University works to build a diverse and inclusive institution for women and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and asexual (LGBTQ+) faculty, staff, and students. The Director is responsible for the administration, management, and leadership of the Gender and Sexuality Center (GSC) at Brandeis University.
The Director provides visionary leadership toward creating a comprehensive and vibrant center that partners across the campus and community to support, advocate, and educate the community around gender and LGBTQIA+ identities and issues while remaining student-centered Rooted in a standard of excellence, the Director will be the primary point of contact for the university’s efforts to create a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for students, employees, and alumni (as needed) who identify as LGBTQIA+.
The Director also has a special responsibility to contribute to creating a welcoming environment that facilitates LGBTQIA+ students’ advancement, growth and development through advocacy, policy development, and appropriate institutional intervention where necessary. Being adaptable is key, as the Director will take on other duties as assigned to meet the changing needs of the LGBTQIA+ communities at Brandeis.
Examples of Key Job Responsibilities:
Strategic Planning and Goal Setting
- Guide long-term development of the GSC and ensure its yearly operations provide educational resources and programming for and about LGBTQIA+ communities, increase awareness, and strengthen the LGBTQIA+ campus community.
- Engage students with off campus LGBTQIA+ communities through networking, collaboration on programs and participation in programming and services.
- Develop strategic partnerships to expand engagement with students, staff, faculty, alumni and external audiences.
- Collect, assess and analyze data to inform ODEI leadership on the success and efficacy of the GSC’s programs and services to determine necessary program enhancements and modifications.
Management and Daily Operations
- Direct day-to-day GSC operations to ensure student needs are met.
- Supervise staff in the GSC who report to the Director. Support students in educational and co-curricular paths by providing informal advising, coaching, and appropriate referrals., Recruit and retain talent through coaching, and mentoring, as well as supervising staff (including student workers) to ensure that Center goals and objectives are met. Meet with staff members on a regular basis (e.g., weekly, bi-weekly, monthly) to ensure that duties and responsibilities are being met successfully.
- Responsible for the financial oversight of the GSC’s budget.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for LGBTQIA+ services and programming –for example: Annual Welcome Event, Lavender Graduation, Trans Awareness Week, Coming Out Week, Pride Month, Drag Show, and the LGBTQIA+ Symposium Research Convening.
- Develops and maintains communications about program accomplishments and services through digital platforms – email, websites, social media, etc.
- Perform other related duties and participate in special projects as assigned for the GSC and the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Institutional Advocacy and Campus Partnerships
- Engage with university leadership on policies, practices and appropriate professional development to ensure the campus serves the needs of LGBTQIA+ students, and employees when appropriate. Advocate for LGBTQIA+ students while advising of their rights and privacy when enrolled in university programs; provide referrals as needed to appropriate units on campus (e.g., Office for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, Counseling Services, Office of Equal Opportunity, Academic Services, Community Living, Ombuds, etc.).
- Partner with Admissions, Faculty Senate, BUSAC, Brandeis Pride Alliance, and other campus partners on recruitment and retention of students related to sexual orientation and gender identity. Assist with recruitment initiatives for employees on as needed basis.
- Work cooperatively with the Department of Community Living to develop and manage Trans inclusive on-campus housing.
Visionary & Collaborative Leadership
- Be a visible and welcoming convener, leader, and advocate for LGBTQIA+ students, and for Brandeis community members as necessary.
- Partner with faculty and staff to increase visibility, educate the community and provide a welcoming presence for students.
- Serve as an advisor or liaison to LGBTQIA+ campus groups; for example: Triskelion, Trans Brandeis, Queer People of Color Coalition, Queer Policy Alliance, etc.
- Assist with the facilitation of ally and advocacy professional development programs and educational experiences and training regarding sexual orientation and gender topics for faculty, staff, and student leaders and groups through Monthly Community Ally Brown Bag lunches, Brandeis Brave or Safer Space Ally/Advocacy Training.
- Develop resource library for materials associated with LGBTQIA+ and gender identities, particularly those applicable to the Waltham and Greater Boston area.
Education and Work Experience
Bachelor’s degree (master’s preferred) plus 5+ years of total work-related experience
Supervisory/Management: 1-3 years of supervisory/management experience
Skills and Knowledge
The successful candidate must possess specific knowledge of gender and sexual identity, sexuality, and issues of concern related to LGBTQIA+ people and communities. A demonstrated commitment to work in a multicultural, social justice-oriented office with individuals and groups with a wide array of backgrounds and identities must be evidenced in past work experiences.
Experience with program development, management, and evaluation and the ability to build and maintain strong relationships with campus and community partners
How to ApplyPlease submit a cover letter/resume at https://brandeis.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Jobs/jobs/details/Director--Gender---Sexuality-Center_R0009383-1
59 total views, 0 today