Full-Time Associate or Full Professor & Inaugural Director for the Institute for Autonomous & Connected Systems
The Batten College of Engineering and Technology (BCET) at Old Dominion University (ODU) seeks an experienced, accomplished, and visionary leader to serve as the inaugural Director of a newly established Institute for Autonomous & Connected Systems (IACS) starting Fall 2024. This will be a 10-month tenure track/tenured faculty appointment at the Associate or Full professor rank. This position is open to candidates from all engineering disciplines in any of the academic departments in the BCET. The appointment will be in one of the five BCET departments depending on the selected candidate’s background and expertise.
The primary responsibility of the Institute Director is to provide strategic leadership for the institute to realize its vision and mission in alignment with the BCET’s Strategic Plan “Focus on the Future”. The Director will also be expected to teach undergraduate and graduate courses in their field. The inaugural Director will work collaboratively with the institute faculty and stakeholders to:
- Establish effective strategic goals and develop a robust strategic plan for enhancing the quality, quantity, impact, and recognition of the sponsored research activities;
- Encourage the institute faculty to pursue and secure research funding;
- Oversee and coordinate the research activities and foster a culture of innovation within the institute;
- Identify strengths, gaps, needs, and sustained growth opportunities;
- Promote excellent research through synergistic interdisciplinary collaboration among the institute faculty and other faculty in the college and across campus;
- Cultivate relationships and develop partnerships with other universities, government, industry, and funding agencies;
- Create new and improve existing interdisciplinary engineering academic programs relevant to the institute mission;
- Communicate research impact and represent the institute to the public and stakeholders; and
- Advise the Dean on all matters relating to the Institute and its mission.
The candidate must:
- Possess Ph.D. or equivalent terminal degree in Engineering or a closely related field relevant to the Institute’s core area of research;
- Be eligible for a tenured or tenure-track appointment at the rank of Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor in one of the departments in the BCET; and
- Be a recognized expert with extensive research experience as demonstrated by a distinguished record of scholarly accomplishments, peer-reviewed publications, external research funding, and contributions in the field.
Preference will be given to candidates who:
- Possess strong leadership, administrative, and communication skills;
- Are able to develop and articulate a vision for advancing the mission of the institute through partnerships with industry and the government;
- Have prior leadership experience in leading large grants or in academic leadership roles such as department chair and director of research centers; and/or
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to shared governance practices, transparency, consensus building, collaborative leadership values, and diversity, equity and inclusion among students, faculty, and staff.
How to ApplyHow to Apply Interested candidates should submit materials at https://jobs.odu.edu/postings/19975 and attach the following with their online application:
- A cover letter;
- A curriculum vitae;
- A statement of academic leadership and a vision for the institute;
- Unofficial graduate transcripts; and
- Contact information for 3 references.
62 total views, 0 today