Full-Time Associate Art Teacher
Mary McDowell Friends School is a K-12 college preparatory program dedicated to the success of students with learning disabilities. Grounded in the Quaker values of equality, integrity, and social responsibility, we cultivate a diverse community where all students can reach their full potential. Our specialized teaching methodologies and challenging curricula empower students to become academic achievers, creative thinkers, and contributing members of a global society.
Mary McDowell Friends School (MMFS) invites applications for a full-time Lower School Associate Art Teacher beginning August 2023.
Associate Teachers support the mission of the school by overseeing the safety and well-being of the students in advisory, content area classes, core classrooms, and homeroom classes by monitoring and stimulating educational and social-emotional growth within the framework of the school’s mission by collaborating with the teaching partner to implement a curriculum that meets the needs of the MMFS student.
Associate Teachers work alongside experienced classroom teachers to develop skills in working with individual children and small groups, as well as gaining experience and confidence in building relationships with families and communicating about students’ learning and development in person and through documentation.
The essential duties of an Associate Teacher include but are not limited to:
- Work in collaboration with their teaching partner to implement parts of the curriculum and gradually assume increased responsibilities
- Act as the advocate for homeroom students supporting each student in their relationships with other teachers and working with the cooperating homeroom teacher to be the primary point person with parents
- Supervise homeroom students when participating in division-wide and school-wide activities such as silence, assembly, and meeting special guests
- Implement individualized student plans for homework, organization, and behavior
- Participating fully in the life of the school, including professional development, MMFS committee, weekly faculty meetings, regular supervisory meetings, and all school silence and staff meetings.
- Write, edit, and submit timely trimester reports, grades, recommendations, evaluations, and other requests as needed.
- Duties based on assigned schedules include supervising a study hall, arrival/lunch/dismissal duty, student trips (including overnight trips), and student clubs.
Diversity and Equity Commitments:
- Understand and participate in all school-wide diversity and equity initiatives
- Examine teaching practice through the lens of race, identity, equity, and privilege.
- Develop a curriculum that provides students with an opportunity to recognize their many identities
Staff and reporting relationships
Associate Teachers report to the Division Directors. They also regularly work collaboratively with their teaching partners (when applicable), occupational therapists, speech and language therapists, school counselors, social workers, and school psychologists.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- BA required; special education experience a plus
- Strong oral and written communication with parents, children, and colleagues
- Commitment to equity and justice, including knowledge and skills related to cultural competencies
- The ability to create a classroom environment where students feel safe, supported, and challenged
- Strong collaboration and teamwork skills
- Growth mindset and ability to use feedback to improve practice
- Familiarity with new technologies; GSuite and Veracross a plus
In compliance with NYC’s Pay Transparency Act, this position’s annual base salary range is $44,000 – $53,218. Mary McDowell Friends School considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, essential skills, internal peer equity, and market and organizational considerations when extending an offer.
How to ApplyTo apply, please upload a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three professional references as a .pdf (preferable) or word document to our employee portal. If your background and experience are appropriate for the position, you will be contacted directly by a member of our search committee. We offer a rewarding work experience in downtown Brooklyn, NY, where we encourage employees to bring their whole selves to work. We recognize, appreciate, celebrate, and honor our diverse community as we build an awareness of who each individual is and who we are collectively. Applicants who enhance the diversity of the school's faculty and administration are strongly encouraged to apply. Please visit our website for more information on our school.
206 total views, 2 today