Part-Time Student Zone Helper
Position: Student Zone Helper
Job Type: Seasonal Part-time (mid-August – mid-June)
Location: Los Angeles
PowerMyLearning is a nonprofit that advances educational equity and accelerates student success. Our programs promote culturally relevant teaching practices, foster social-emotional learning, and accelerate learning. We offer school- and district-level packages that include professional development for teachers and capacity-building workshops for families. We also offer an award-winning education technology innovation, Family Playlists®. What sets us apart from other organizations is our focus on activating the power of collaboration between students, teachers, and families. Now more than ever, our collective efforts to accelerate learning must address the needs of the whole child and include families so we can reverse the systematic denial of educational opportunity based on race, class, language, and learning differences.
The Student Zone Helper assists students in-person in completing their own school assignments by utilizing a variety of resources in the Los Angeles Public Library’s Student Zones, including digital resources. The Student Zone Helper will be assigned to a Los Angeles Public Library (LAPL) branch (one of the libraries listed below) for a schedule that is Monday – Thursday, for a 3-hour shift anywhere between 2:30 – 7:00pm (hours vary by location). Student Zone Helpers are expected to work 12 hours a week and should not exceed 24 hours within a 2 week pay period. Specific weekly schedule is based on library branch needs.
Current Branches with openings are:
Angeles Mesa 2700 W 52nd St, Los Angeles, CA 90043
Cahuenga-4591 Santa Monica Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90029
Chatsworth-21052 Devonshire St, Chatsworth, CA 91311
El Sereno- 5226 S Huntington Dr, Los Angeles, CA 90032
Hyde Park- 2205 W Florence Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90043
Exposition Park 3900 S Western Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90062
Harbor City 24000 S Western Ave, Harbor City, CA 90710
Panorama City-14345 Roscoe Blvd, Panorama City, CA 91402
San Pedro 931 S Gaffey St, San Pedro, CA 90731
Sylmar 14561 Polk St, Sylmar, CA 91342
Valley Plaza 12311 Vanowen St, North Hollywood, CA 91605
Wilmington 1300 N Avalon Blvd, Wilmington, CA 90744
Harbor City – Harbor Gateway Branch Library, 24000 S Western Ave, Harbor City, CA 90710
Hyde Park Branch Library – 2205 W Florence Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90043
Mark Twain Branch Library – 9621 S Figueroa St, Los Angeles, CA 90003
San Pedro Regional Branch Library – 931 S Gaffey St, San Pedro, CA 90731
Vernon – Leon H. Washington Jr. Memorial Branch Library – 4504 S Central Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90011
Wilmington Branch Library – 1300 N Avalon Blvd, Wilmington, CA 90744
- General operation of the Student Zone during after school homework hours.
- Setting up the Student Zone so that it will be ready during the branch’s Student Zone hours.
- Following all emergency procedures/protocols, as well as maintaining sanitary conditions in response to COVID-19, as directed by LAPL.
- Encouraging and assisting students in completing their school assignments
- Register students who participate in the Student Zone for LAPL resources (including an LAPL library card).
- Setting up Student Zone materials and supplies (including electronic equipment and stationery supplies).
- Answering simple questions and referring more complex reference questions to library staff.
- Assisting students in using electronic equipment.
- Ensuring that students adhere to the library rules of behavior and rules of conduct.
- Assisting library staff in maintaining records of participants, preparing reports of the Student Zone and collecting data such as evaluations and attendance sheets.
- Complete field reports for each student that visits the Student Zone and submit Monthly Feedback Reports
- Submit paper and electronic timesheets on ADP in a timely manner to ensure that hours are accurately tracked and processed
- Attend SZH mandatory trainings throughout the year
- Assisting librarians in determining what apps and computer programs will best suit the needs of the users of the Student Zones.
- Passion for PowerMyLearning’s mission
- High school diploma or G.E.D.
- Must be 18 years or older
- Clear LiveScan background check
- Good computer skills with knowledge of Google platforms (i.e. Google Docs, Drive, Sheets, etc.)
- Excellent communication skills
- Able to create a positive learning atmosphere
- Able to maintain a regular schedule
- Strong problem-solving and customer service skills
- Team‐player who is also capable of working independently or with minimal oversight
- Able to bend over and/or crouch low to the ground throughout the work day
- Able to work in crowded, close-quartered environment
Preferred (if applicable):
- Bilingual Spanish/English or other language
- Experience working with children and families
OUR VALUES AND HIRING PHILOSOPHY
PowerMyLearning strives to embody our core values: Strengthen Relationships, Embrace Learning, Advance Equity, and Embody Humility.
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization in which we give voice to, and meet the needs of, the teachers, families, and students we serve. PowerMyLearning encourages applications from individuals of all backgrounds, especially people of color and members of other historically marginalized groups.
PowerMyLearning is committed to providing equal employment opportunities and does not discriminate on any basis prohibited by applicable law.
We encourage applications from people with unusual career paths and diverse experiences. Even if you haven’t had a similar role before, we welcome you to apply!
Qualified candidates can apply by visiting https://powermylearning.applicantpro.com/jobs/. You will need to submit a resume and cover letter.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
How to Apply
85 total views, 0 today