Full-Time Staff Attorney – Family Law Unit
Greater Boston Legal Services is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Accessible Employer. We want to build and sustain a staff that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve.
Greater Boston Legal Services (GBLS) seeks a staff attorney to join our Family Law Unit. The Family Law Unit prioritizes representation and advocacy for survivors of domestic violence in contested Probate and Family Court proceedings and abuse prevention proceedings in the District and Boston Municipal Courts.
GBLS provides free legal services and representation to clients in the greater Boston area who cannot afford private legal representation. The attorney will work out of the GBLS Boston office. GBLS currently operates a hybrid work schedule.
- Managing a family law litigation caseload that will include full representation cases, as well as counsel and advice, limited assistance representation, and brief service matters;
- Participating in systemic advocacy that promotes the interests of GBLS clients;
- Providing culturally competent services to all clients;
- Developing and promoting relationships with community partners;
- Maintaining up-to-date knowledge and skills in family law and trial practice;
- Maintaining up-to-date awareness of other areas that impact GBLS family law clients sufficient to provide appropriate referrals or advice;
- Reporting data on case work and assisting with grant reports; and
- Independent means of travel to courthouses throughout the GBLS service area and to occasional statewide CLAVC events (GBLS has a travel expense reimbursement plan).
- 5 to 10 years of experience;
- Admission to the Massachusetts bar;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks
- Ability to work collaboratively with other attorneys, as well as non-attorney staff and partners;
- Prior family law and/or litigation experience;
- Prior trial and appellate litigation experience is preferred, not required;
- Prior experience working with survivors of domestic violence is preferred, not required; and
- In addition to English, fluency in one or more of the languages spoken by GBLS clients, such as Spanish, Haitian Creole, Portuguese, Vietnamese, Cantonese, or Mandarin, is helpful.
Salary is based on a union scale. Current salary for a full-time attorney with 6 years of experience is $81,000. GBLS offers generous benefits, retirement contribution, student loan repayment assistance for eligible attorneys, and generous PTO leave.
GBLS values diversity and encourages applicants from a broad range of backgrounds and experiences.
How to ApplyCandidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and brief writing sample to the Human Resources Department via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer to the Job Code: FLU-ATT when applying. Deadline for applications is February 23, 2024, or until position is filled.
65 total views, 0 today