Full-Time Software Engineer
2 Vacancies Available!
Salary – £36,245 to £38,463 Depending on experience
Hybrid working (50/50)
Permanent and Full Time
We are shortlisting as we go for these roles and reserve the right to close this advert if we find the right candidate, so we encourage you to apply early.
UKCEH is looking for experienced Software Engineers to join our 600-strong team, contributing to scientific discovery and generating the data, insights and solutions that researchers, businesses and governments need to solve complex environmental challenges.
Working at UKCEH is rewarding. Our science makes a real difference, enabling people and the environment to prosper, and enriching society. We are the custodians of a wealth of environmental data, collected by UKCEH and its predecessors over the course of more than 60 years.
As a valued member of our team, you’ll get:
- 27 days annual leave, rising to 29 days after five years
- 10% employer pension contribution
- Enhanced maternity and paternity leave
- 24 hour, 365-day access to support with physical, mental, social, health or financial issues
- Flexible working opportunities
And much more….
You’ll be joining the Environmental Data Science group, to carry out research and development on digital research infrastructure, which supports our nationally and internationally important environmental science.
Developing an overarching software architecture to support various initiatives. This includes development of an integrated research cloud infrastructure, digital twins, collaborative platforms, data processing pipelines, integrated monitoring and FAIR access to digital assets.
You will be part of an expanding multidisciplinary team, adopting common software architectural principles. Helping to develop scalable, robust and interoperable solutions. Using an agile development methodology, with a co-design aspect, contributing to the creation of cloud-based and hybrid solutions.
You’ll be joining a leading independent, not-for-profit research institute that’s committed to recruiting talented people like you, progressing your career and giving you the support you need to thrive at UKCEH.
Your main responsibilities will include:
- Designing, coding, testing, and deploying high-quality software solutions, ensuring robustness, scalability, and standardised design principles
- Creating and maintaining technical documentation, contributing to knowledge sharing and ensuring comprehensive project records
- Collaborating with different disciplinary groups (including DevOps engineers, data scientists, data stewards, designers, software engineers and system architects) contributing to an overarching software architecture to support various projects
- Applying and promoting agile software development methodologies and culture
- Identifying future collaborative opportunities across UKRI and elsewhere, around the design and development of different elements of digital research infrastructure
- Researching, learning, and adopting emerging technologies and best practices, to enhance software development processes and contribute innovative ideas
For the role of Software Engineer, we’re looking for somebody who has:
- A good degree in an appropriate subject, or significant experience of working in a Software Engineering environment
- Proficiency in one or more programming languages such as Python, Java, C++
- Experience with version control systems (e.g., GitHub), software development IDEs, and other development tools and practices (e.g., Container orchestration, Infrastructure as a Code)
- Understanding of full software development stack, including both front-end and back-end development frameworks
- Experience with database technologies including SQL and NoSQL
- Excellent communication skills, adopting a collaborative and inclusive approach across a range of stakeholders
- The ability to work autonomously
- A passion to learn new technologies and adapt quickly to evolving software development trends
If we’ve just described you, we’d love to meet. Apply now.
If you have any questions about the role, or working in the Environmental Data Science team, contact Rod Scott, email: rj**@ce*.uk
How to Applyhttps://ceh.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/CEH_Careers/job/Lancaster/Software-Engineer_JR1156
62 total views, 0 today