Full-Time Research Associate – Fisheries Molecular Biology/Genomics
Gloucester Marine Genomics Institute (GMGI) is an exciting independent marine research institute that is addressing critical challenges facing our oceans, human health, and the environment through innovative scientific research and education. Our research strategy uses molecular and genomic technologies to address questions related to Oceans and Human Health with three main focus areas (1) Marine Biomedicine & Biotechnology, (2) Ecosystem Function & Health and (3) Fisheries & Aquaculture. We are looking for a highly motivated Research Associate who will play an important role in contributing to our fisheries research programs.
The ideal candidate will have strong experience in molecular biology/ecology applied to fisheries and knowledge of common molecular laboratory techniques and data analysis. The candidate must be capable of working independently to design experiments, generate high quality data, and analyze results for a variety of projects directed by GMGI research staff. Experience with environmental DNA (eDNA) and population genomics is highly desirable. This position is an extraordinary opportunity for an ambitious and entrepreneurial person who is interested in helping to create a world-class research institute.
- Design and execute experiments using molecular biology/genomics techniques
- DNA/RNA isolations and quantification, PCR, qPCR, RT-qPCR
- Next-generation Illumina sequencing
- Conduct eDNA metabarcoding and species presence/absence assays
- Strong knowledge of experimental design, bioinformatics, and statistics
- Organize and execute field collections for fisheries and eDNA samples, processing and archiving samples, including necropsy and harvesting tissues
- Prepare reports as requested and contribute to grant proposals and manuscripts
- Training of staff or interns on research techniques as required
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in biology, molecular biology, marine biology, or related discipline
- Experience in fisheries and/or aquaculture research
- Experience with molecular biology methods (e.g. qPCR, RT-qPCR, Next-Generation Sequencing)
- Capable of planning and executing experiments with minimal supervision
- Experience working with modern molecular biology/genomics instruments
- Knowledge of population genetics theory and data analysis
- Familiarity with the command line interface, Linux, and R
- Excellent writing and documentation skills
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Integrity towards scientific research and data quality
- Capable of working in a start-up environment, with work changing to adapt to needs
- Enthusiasm and commitment to GMGI’s mission for science and education
- Self-starting, independent, creative thinker with strong problem-solving skills
This position will report to the Fisheries Scientist.
It’s our goal as an employer to provide an enriching and supportive environment for our employees. We are proud to offer a benefit package that includes:
- Health, Dental & Visionl Insurance
- Medical and Dependent Flex Spending Accounts
- Long Term Disability
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- 403(b) Retirement Plan
- 10 Paid Holidays
Gloucester Marine Genomics Institute (GMGI) was launched in 2013 in the belief that the ocean represents a new source of opportunity. As a not-for-profit whose ambitious mission is to “address critical challenges facing our oceans, human health and the environment through innovative scientific research and education” GMGI is demonstrating that there is vast potential in marine science discovery powered by genomics.
GMGI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and all aspects of employment are based on merit, competence, performance and business need.
In addition to researching diversity in our oceans, GMGI is committed to supporting diversity in our workforce and classrooms. We know that having varied backgrounds and experiences stimulates discussion and new ideas. We are committed to taking action on diversity, equity, and inclusion through providing substantial training opportunities to increase our self-awareness as an organization, and building a team of staff and students from uniquely different backgrounds.
Please visit our website for more information: www.gmgi.org
How to ApplyTo apply, please visit https://gmgi.bamboohr.com/careers/47
115 total views, 0 today