Full-Time Project Manager
This is ideally an onsite opportunity located in our Brooklyn, NY headquarters; however, there is the potential to work remotely.
DataKind is a global nonprofit dedicated to harnessing the power of data science and artificial intelligence (AI) in the service of humanity. Named one of Fast Company’s 2017 top 10 innovative nonprofits, DataKind teams talented pro bono experts from academia and industry with visionary change makers to collaboratively design innovative solutions to tough social challenges. We help social organizations apply their data to predictive analytics, machine learning algorithms, and AI needs in a way that both increases impact and is sensitive to the ethical considerations they have.
- We are 20,000 strong: DataKind volunteers hail from almost every country across the world, representing a community of technologists and social change makers who believe in using data science and AI for a stronger planet and a more just and prosperous world.
- We have served 300+ projects around the world: From using satellite imagery to measure crop yields to automating the fight against hate speech online, our volunteer community has shown up to support a range of humanitarian needs.
- People are at the center of our process: The most advanced machine learning algorithms are useless if they’re not designed for real people’s problems. DataKind celebrates human centered design principles that focus on the “why,” the “for whom,” and the “should we” long before we ever get going on the “what.”
- “AI for Good” will only succeed if it’s “AI for All”: We will continue our work until all people and all communities can use digital technology for the outcomes they want to see. We support not just the tech communities of today, but anyone in any community who wants to lead in how data technologies serve their needs fairly.
The Next Phase
DataKind has been honored to work with social change organizations around the world to do over 300 projects these past eight years. Those projects have resulted in more effective NGOs, more funding for social change organizations, and more awareness of the power (and pitfalls) of data science and AI in the social sector. However, we have always known that we will not be able to combat all of the world’s looming challenges on the backs of individual, uncoordinated, short-term projects alone. Thanks to generous long-term support from The Rockefeller Foundation and the Mastercard Center for Inclusive Growth, we are now focusing the DataKind network on issue areas, such as improving health outcomes through Community Health Workers or increasing economic resilience. Over a period of five years, we have been granted $20M to make this vision a reality, and we are looking for people to join us in this journey. You can read more about the new strategy here.
About the Opportunity
DataKind is joining forces with the newly formed Data.Org, a venture launched by The Rockefeller Foundation and the Mastercard Center for Inclusive Growth to be an international player in the data science for good and capacity building ecosystem. As a first initiative of this venture, DataKind and Data.Org will launch the global Inclusive Growth and Recovery challenge for data science projects that advance the field. This competition is high profile and high impact, with 10 winners receiving significant funding and support.
Reporting to the Chief Program Officer, the Project Manager is responsible for managing the key activities and relationships in DataKind’s implementation of the Inclusive Growth & Recovery international challenge. In this role, you’ll manage work across functions within DataKind and with DataKind’s extensive network of volunteer experts to design and execute key aspects of the challenge, including volunteer judge selection and management. The Project Manager also works closely with our primary contacts at Data.org, as well as DataKind volunteers and chapter leaders, and our Operations, Community, and Network teams.
This is a one year, grant-funded position.
What You’ll Do
- Track and manage against all deliverables of the challenge execution agreement.
- Coordinate across departments to ensure cross-functional deliverables are met.
- Coordinate and execute the scoring of applications for the challenge in established timeframes for each scoring phase.
- Coordinate the design of scoring and assessment materials, recruitment and staffing of volunteers, onboarding and training of volunteers, and design of reporting deliverables for the cross-functional team.
- Meet regularly with the Senior Director of Product to support execution success.
- Meet regularly with project management staff of partner organizations to manage challenge execution.
- Facilitate legal discussion, review, and approvals for DataKind’s interests in the challenge. Write and oversee project reports for the challenge, managing scope creep.
- Prepare projects for a seamless launch with volunteers and nonprofit project partners, including but not limited to aligning on and having contracts signed, ensuring data has been collected from our partner.
- Lead day-to-day team project operations and activities while ensuring work is progressing as planned. Contribute to public-facing communications materials and activities.
- Communicate and manage expectations of partner organizations and volunteers throughout the entire project life cycle.
- Manage project management tools like Salesforce and Asana, ensuring that they are updated with project information and progress.
- Work with DataKind’s portfolio lead to identify high value projects and onboard them to DataKind.
- Work with DataKind’s volunteer chapter network to identify and transfer promising leads.
Project Team Management
- Interview and select volunteers for project teams.
- Work with the Director of Global Volunteers to identify top volunteers.
- Ensure volunteers have a great experience on our projects, celebrating their efforts and work throughout the project.
- Ensure completion of the volunteer survey and report results.
- Maintain and update volunteer records in DataKind’s knowledge management system.
- Run trainings for volunteers and ensure they are successfully on-boarded and off-boarded.
- Solicit feedback from partner organizations and volunteers to execute action plans based on their feedback.
Who You Are
- You are an experienced project manager. You have a proven track record of managing complex projects in changing environments and love getting a project from the start line to the finish line. You are comfortable breaking complex problems down to bite-sized deliverables, you create and deliver high quality reports, and you are proactive about identifying and addressing problems early.
- You are a skilled relationship manager. You are highly responsive and organized in your approach to managing relationships, with experience keeping internal and external stakeholders informed and in alignment. You know how to keep up momentum in the face of ambiguity and are comfortable navigating the politics and demands of collaborative, coalition-type work.
- You are a self-starter and get stuff done. Whether it’s on your own or through others, your experience, transparency, and organization allow you to get the nuts and bolts in place in record time, always with support and input from the rest of the organization. You are able to work independently with some guidance from your manager.
- You are values-aligned and understand the bigger picture. You share DataKind’s values of humility, transparency, diversity, equity, inclusion, thoughtfulness, expertise, and approachability. You care about more than just getting your projects completed. Continuous improvement is a mantra of yours. You will always be contributing learnings to the team so we can make constant updates to our process and our product.
How You’ll be Measured
At the end of year 1, the Project Manager will have accomplished the following:
- Coordinated DataKind’s support of the data science challenge.
- Supported at least one Open Call for volunteers, selected volunteers for judging, and facilitated matching of judges to projects.
- Coordinated review of and consulting for challenge participants by DataKind volunteers.
- Communicated project status with DataKind’s Chief Program Officer and Global Director of Volunteers.
- Sincere enthusiasm for DataKind’s mission and the power of data science for social good.
- At least 3-5 years of work experience, preferably including at least 3 years of experience managing complex projects across multiple time zones/countries.
- Experience effectively managing internal and external stakeholder relationships as a part of project management work.
- Conversant in basic data science with an understanding of what kinds of problems can benefit from data science.
- Demonstrated effectiveness working in ambiguous, fast paced, or quickly changing contexts.
- PMI or other project or process management certification preferred but not required.
Why Work with DataKind
At DataKind, we believe that people are the most important asset to delivering on our mission to collaboratively design data-driven, innovative solutions to tough social challenges. Working with us means that you will have:
- Flexibility in your working schedule. This includes things like working from home, leaving early to care for kids, coming in late to walk your dog, etc. This also means that you have unlimited PTO.
- Access to an outstanding health plan. We pay 100% of medical, vision, and dental benefits for employees and contribute partially for spouse/kids/family members.
- Support to plan for your future. We offer a 401(k) match up to 5%.
- Opportunities to learn and grow. Each year, we budget for each staff person to have ongoing throughout professional development support.
DataKind is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Naturally, DataKind is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages candidates from underrepresented groups in tech to apply. DataKind does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected category.
How to ApplyTo apply, please submit your resume and cover letter here.
125 total views, 1 today