Full-Time Migrant Education Specialist
OFFICE OF SCHOOLS
Traditional 200 work days
Salary Range: $44,204 – $51,264
Essential Functions and Objectives:
Responsible for both direct and indirect educational services for migrant school-aged students.
The successful candidate will travel from school to school in order to meet with migrant students on a consistent basis to provide direct and some indirect educational services. Some home visits may also be necessary depending on factors related to students’ family and level of education engagement.
– Provides leadership to improve the educational experience of migrant students.
– Mentors students to achieve educational goals and supports them in acquiring the social-emotional skills that will serve them in their daily life.
– Assists students and their families to build a system of supports that create an environment conducive to the growth of the student as a whole while promoting self-advocacy; connects students and families with services, school staff, resources, and opportunities; and provides social emotional support.
– Provides opportunities within the program, school, and community to expose students to a variety of positive, enriching, learning, and cultural experiences.
– Collaborates in the coordination of educational and community services for students and families.
– Collaborates with District support staff on behalf of migrant students and families to remove barriers, support children’s education, and act as a liaison between family and school.
– Meets bi-weekly with migrant students to monitor grades, attendance, and other educational concerns.
– Provides direction and support for students and families in need of educational services.
– Documents and maintains all required records, forms, and files required for and reported to the District, state, and other agencies.
Knowledge, Experience & Other Qualifications:
– Two (2) years of experience required with elementary, middle, and high school youth in a school setting.
– One (1) year of experience required as a mentor, coach, and advocate.
– Experience with refugee and migrant populations is highly desired.
– Valid Colorado Driver’s License, appropriate insurance coverage, and acceptable driving record for the past three years.
– Knowledge of Google Suite
– Effective time management and organizational skills with working knowledge of project management methodology and implementation techniques.
– Effective verbal and written communication skills as well as strong presentation skills.
– Strong attention to detail.
– Effectively handles multiple demands and competing deadlines.
– The ability to take responsibility for one’s own performance.
– Ability to work with families and students from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
– Aptitude for variety and changing expectations in a fast-paced environment.
– Demonstrated knowledge of school-based programs that support areas such as students, families, parents, community, and immigrant/migrant/refugee interests in an urban K-12 school environment.
– Knowledge of the locations of District schools and the ability to travel to sites throughout the region.
– Strong empathy towards at-risk populations.
– Bilingual in Spanish
– Associates degree required.
– Work Year Calendars (including accrued time off): http://thecommons.dpsk12.org/Page/1129
– Benefits (including DPS contributions): http://thecommons.dpsk12.org/Page/1397
– Compensation Structures: http://thecommons.dpsk12.org/Page/244
– Employee must live and work with a permanent home address in Colorado while working for Denver Public Schools.
About Denver Public Schools:
Denver Public Schools is committed to meeting the educational needs of every student with great schools in every neighborhood. Our goal is to provide every child in Denver with rigorous, enriching educational opportunities from preschool through high school graduation. DPS is comprised of nearly 200 schools including traditional, magnet, charter and alternative pathways schools, with an enrollment of more than 90,000 students.
DPS has become the fastest-growing school district in the country in terms of enrollment and the fastest-growing large school district in the state in terms of student academic growth. Learn more at dpsk12.org.
Denver Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, or any other status protected by law or
regulation. It is our intention that all qualified applicants be given equal opportunity and that selection decisions be based on job-related factors.
How to ApplyPlease apply directly on our career website following copying & pasting the link below: https://ltmwebprod01.dpsk12.org/ltmprod/xmlhttp/shorturl.do?key=FEU
28 total views, 2 today