Full-Time Marketing Manager
Location: Portland, OR or Seattle, WA
Compensation: Competitive salary taking into consideration experience and qualifications. Health insurance benefits and employer match to 401(k) program provided.
VertueLab merges innovation, technology, entrepreneurship, and impact investing to address the climate crisis. We are a conduit between promising cleantech companies and the donors and investors who empower their progress through support and access to capital. We are innovating alongside our portfolio companies by developing new impact investing models to fuel their growth and the tools to measure the environmental and social impact that their success brings. We are an 11 year old 501(c)3 nonprofit that has been a pioneer in program-related investing in early stage clean technologies and has developed a national reputation for our work supporting environmental technology startups and connecting them to investment and other resources. We are hiring to fill an open staff position of marketing manager. This position reports directly to VertueLab’s Deputy Director, Jo Brickman.
Our new strategy calls for us to be more vocal in telling the story of our track record and to ensure that we reach key audiences of cleantech innovators with high-potential climate solutions that we can help accelerate to market, as well as individuals, family offices, and foundations that are potential donors to fuel that work. The Marketing Manager will have the opportunity to get in on the ground floor and play a critical role in getting VertueLab to stand out, expand our geographic region, add resources/capital for startups utilizing philanthropy and impact investing, and build community among our supporters. This role will generate pipeline leads from innovators and interest from targeted donor groups.
Our organization recently underwent an archetyping process to further identify our brand voice and channel audiences. We are seeking a candidate who can lead us from that stage into a full marketing strategy implementing that voice.
- Develop and execute a comprehensive marketing plan, aligned with the organization’s strategic plan, with defined goals and timelines.
- Maintain our VertueLab brand for quality, consistency, and impact. Guide ongoing development of messaging for VertueLab communications. Coach staff on consistent usage of core messaging.
- Collaborate with Executive Director, Deputy Director, and Development Director to ensure impactful storytelling to communicate our mission, vision, and strategy in marketing materials.
- Collaborate with Development Director to utilize feedback from stakeholder and funder engagement into marketing plan evolution; supply messages and collateral in support of the fundraising strategy.
- Collaborate with program directors (Climate Impact Fund, Expert Support Services, and Impact Measurement & Management) to maintain up-to-date messaging and content for all channels, including synthesizing feedback from our portfolio companies to adjust programs and messaging.
- Lead the charge in converting VertueLab’s deep experience and expertise in early stage cleantech investing, entrepreneur support, and ecosystem building into prominent thought leadership via media and events.
- Vendor management – Lead coordination of key vendors that help deliver elements of the marketing plan – using their skills efficiently through clarity of scope and conscientious management
- Execute VertueLab Events including VertueLab Impact Summit (VIS) – Lead the effort to plan and execute a fantastic annual event, leveraging the strengths of our event partners and our staff to minimize the impact of staff time taken away from programs. Work with Program Directors on the development of content and speaker recruitment, and with Development Director on sponsorship.
Successful candidates will have all of the following attributes:
- Self-starter and innovative collaborative leader with ability to work both independently and among project work teams and with a variety of working styles
- Able to engage at all levels: vision – strategy – planning – execution
- Quick learner – pick up on new topics as needed and use natural curiosity for technology to be able to tell a story effectively
- Ability to execute – not just identify gaps using insight, but resourcefully filling those gaps using brand and messaging craft
- Project management skills – setting and managing to timelines and budgets and coordinating other people with clear goal setting and measurement. Detail-oriented with strong follow-through.
- Familiarity with social media, email marketing tools, excel, powerpoint, CRM tools, Adobe suite, Canva, Google Analytics and Ad words, and other tools of the trade
- Digital marketing automation experience including email sequences, triggered data updates, donor/customer journey experience, and multi-channel automation
- Marketing segmentation experience
Bonus points for experience or familiarity with some of the following:
- Strong regional and/or national network
- Event planning skills – strong vision and the ability to execute – efficient, thoughtful, partner-oriented, resourceful with in-kind opportunities to maximize the budget
- One or more functional skill sets in graphic design, video editing, website development or other digital content development skills
- Social media expertise – efficient execution and effective leadership of others in using available tools to implement strategy
- Ability to represent VertueLab confidently at events, in an evangelist-type role with the ability to connect with and navigate the wide variety of cultures and industries and sound intelligent even if not technically deep on the topic
- Fund structures and terminology used in venture capital, angel investing, and impact investing
- General understanding of the challenges associated with technology commercialization, especially for hardware/cleantech businesses
- Strategies being pursued by philanthropies, governments, nonprofits, and businesses to address climate change and other environmental challenges
- Understanding and basic knowledge of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals and how they apply to the climate crisis
Regional and national travel will be required to represent VertueLab at events and to meet with partners.
VertueLab is committed to diversity in our governance, staffing, and programs and we are committed to offering an inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer.
How to ApplyTo Apply: Submit the following to email@example.com: cover letter and resume including a description of your experience developing a marketing strategy or marketing plan for an organization, and an example of your work product. Application deadline: Open until filled. All applications received by close of business August 23rd are ensured of receiving equal consideration.
84 total views, 1 today