Full-Time Managing Director of Campaigns and Communications
AFR has been called “the leading voice for Wall Street accountability” in Washington. We are building a team that is diverse, does awesome work, makes a huge impact, and works together to move forward a fundamentally important set of levers for racial and economic justice. Join us to deepen and grow this important work.
We take on concentrated Wall Street power and systemic racism in our work to transform finance in order to build a more just economy and society. We advance our agenda through policy analysis, advocacy, coalition building, public education, and communications and we convene coalitions including more than 200 consumer, civil rights, labor, community, faith based, and service groups at the national, state, and local level working alongside academics and other experts.
AFR led the ‘outside’ advocacy campaign to strengthen and pass the Dodd Frank Financial reform legislation, including creating the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, and works on multiple dimensions of financial regulation. We make sure there is a public interest voice in debates about the structure, role, and regulation of the financial system; put big ideas for change on the table; and build the capacity to advance them.
AFREF invites nominations and applications for a Managing Director of Campaigns and Communications. As a key member of the senior leadership team and reporting to the Executive Director, the Managing Director will lead campaigns alongside communications and digital work to increase our impact and capacity to drive change. She/he/they will partner with AFREF’s leadership and staff to identify strategic opportunities, design powerful campaigns and communication/digital approaches, and build connectivity across the organization, and with coalition partners. The Managing Director will bring an inclusive management style that supports staff members to achieve their highest potential and is grounded in principles of equity and inclusion.
Job responsibilities include:
- Leading a team of skilled Campaigns and Communications staff, with 6-8 direct reports.
- Providing mentorship and management to campaigns and communications staff that helps build and sustain a strong culture of inclusion, growth, and performance, and supports staff in deepening and broadening their skills and expertise.
- Fostering collaboration within teams and between teams: supporting campaigners and communications staff to make their work more visible and legible, and to create on-ramps for other AFR teams and AFR partners to collaborate.
- Creating structures and processes that effectively direct resources to organizational priorities and help team members learn from each other do their best work; supporting career growth of campaigns, communications and digital staff.
ORGANIZATIONAL LEADERSHIP AND PLANNING:
- Collaborating with the Executive Director and members of the senior leadership team to provide direction for the organization as a whole; guiding and implementing work to build a generative and collaborative organization.
- Collaborating with the Executive Director, Development Director and members of the leadership team on development strategies and leading the campaigns and communications teams in supporting development work
- Building and nurturing strategic partnerships for the organization
- Representing AFREF at public events and meetings with key partners and policymakers
FOSTERING EFFECTIVE CAMPAIGN STRATEGY AND COMMUNICATION APPROACHES
- Acting as a thought partner to campaigners to grow AFR’s campaigns capacity.
- Partnering with staff to establish a clear narrative and framework that ties together AFREF’s diverse portfolio of work, and strengthening the organization’s ability to tell a compelling story about each piece of our work and its overall impact.
- Identifying opportunities to maximize our impact on advancing racial and economic justice
- Guiding and supporting staff work to grow our network of relationships, continue to build AFREF’s outside game, push AFR’s priorities, and increase our understanding, reach, and power
- Guiding and supporting staff work to use the full range of traditional and digital communications tools
Ideal candidates will have:
- A deep commitment to economic and racial justice
- 15 plus years of relevant experience, including five years of leadership and management experience in a mission-driven, high-performance environment
- Demonstrated experience designing, operationalizing, and leading effective campaign and communications strategies across multiple platforms that impact public policy
- Familiarity with digital and communications campaigns and tools; ability to thought partner with and drive communications
- A record of innovation in campaigning and advocacy and the ability to identify strategic opportunities.
- Proven track record of building and leading coalitions, and of building authentic non-transactional relationships with diverse organizational partners including BIPOC-led, grassroots, and policy organizations.
- Demonstrated experience breaking down complex topics into more public friendly narratives and developing narratives that elevate and drive organizational missions. Expert knowledge of the range of communications strategies, tools and tactics needed for issue advocacy and organizational development
- Experience with and enthusiasm for mentorship and staff development; demonstrated commitment to responsive, accountable leadership and proactively managing others to set ambitious goals and take ownership, initiative, and action
- Exceptional communication skills including compelling public-speaking, persuasive writing and incisive editing
- Knowledge of financial and economic policy, and of the federal legislative and regulatory process and environment
- Experience managing department budgets and identifying budgetary needs
Annual salary range: $130,000 – $150,000 commensurate with experience. Generous benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and 401K. We invest in growth opportunities for our employees both within a position and within the organization.
This position is Full-time; Washington, D.C. preferred.
AFREF is committed to a workplace that reflects the diversity of America defined broadly and where the talent, skills and uniqueness of each staff member are respected. We are committed to a policy of equity for all employees and to equal opportunity for all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, family responsibilities, and disability.
How to ApplyHow to apply: Please submit your application via our candidate portal linked here.
337 total views, 0 today