Temporary Invertebrate Zoology Field & Lab Technician
The San Diego Natural History Museum is looking to hire TWO full-time temporary Invertebrate Zoology Field & Lab Technicians to assist with various projects within the Entomology Department.
The Invertebrate Zoology Field & Lab Technician assists the Curator of Entomology and staff with field and lab investigations of entomological fauna throughout the San Diego region, with a focus on pollinators. The primary responsibilities of the incumbent will be to collect, identify, and process specimens. Often works independently, but also with a Biologist as assigned.
- Field Collection: Collection of entomological specimens or data, using various traps and manual collecting, including driving to and from collection sites. Due to the varied methodologies utilized for biological surveys, this position has highly variable work hours. Scheduled hours will regularly include evening, night, and early morning hours, and may include weekends. Work in remote areas may require camping in field sites.
- Specimen Processing: Work will involve familiarity with taxonomic keys or field guides to identify target organisms to genus and species. Other duties may include specimen sorting, specimen preparation (e.g., pinning), data entry, and contributions to report writing.
- Specimen Imaging: Imaging of specimens to include field-based photography (e.g., cell-phone photos for iNaturalist) and lab photography with in-house camera setup, including high quality 2D and 3D imaging, image stacking, processing, and file management, using standardized protocols.
- A B.S. in Biology, Entomology, Zoology, or a related discipline preferred, or a combination of outdoor experience and natural history knowledge equivalent to an undergraduate degree.
- Experience in field biology and entomology collecting and processing techniques preferred.
- Must be able to lift at least 50 lbs, and hike up to three miles in rough terrain.
- Familiarity with relevant lab techniques and instruments preferred.
- Have a valid Driver’s License and a clean driving record.
Time Commitment: This is a full time, temporary position. Candidates must be able to commit to at least 29 hours per week, but will not be asked to work more than 40 hours per week. The duration of the project is 6 months (May – September) with possibility of continued work after project completion.
Pay: $22.35/hour provisionally until 31 August 2024 (dependent on continued funding availability)
This position has benefits such as health insurance, vacation, 15 paid holidays, free admission into all of Balboa Park’s museums as well as free admission to the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park.
How to ApplyTo Apply: Please submit a cover letter outlining your interest in the position, résumé, and three references to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed beginning 31 March 2024 and will continue until the positions are filled. We will accept applicants from Mexico under the nonimmigrant NAFTA Professional (TN) visa.
37 total views, 0 today