Full-Time HR Generalist
Friends of Ruby is a charity dedicated to the progressive well-being of LGBTQI2S youth, aged 16-29 through mental health services, social services, and housing.
Friends of Ruby operates a Youth Centre and a Transitional Home. The Centre provides access to barrier free counselling and therapeutic groups, case management and a drop-in space with hot meals, community, and comprehensive programming. The Home provides transitional and emergency housing, as well as mental health and life-skills to support youth moving towards independent living.
Friends of Ruby recognizes that a diverse work force is critical to accomplishing our mission. Our goal is to attract, develop, and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives.
We strongly encourage applications from the LGBTQI2S and BIPOC communities, and diverse backgrounds that meet the requirements of the job posting. We suggest applicants introduce themselves, their stories and lived experiences in their cover letter to their level of comfort.
We’re looking for an HR Generalist with background in equity, inclusion and diversity who will support the Organization’s efforts towards anti-racism and anti-oppression and provide support to the HR Manager in all aspects of Human Resources.
Reporting to the Human Resources Manager, the HR Generalist is responsible for fostering a high functioning, collaborative and innovative culture that embraces diversity and inclusion, ensuring adherence of Human Resources practices and cultivating employee relations remaining current and in compliance with employment laws, industry standards and regulations.
The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
Recruitment & On-boarding
- Review current recruitment practices and establish best practices and procedures for an equitable recruitment process.
- Participate in the recruitment cycle supporting the HR Manager and Hiring Manager to meet the organization’s staffing requirements across all levels and departments.
- Support in the relationship management of partnerships relevant to the needs of the organization with recruitment, employment agencies, universities, & community partners.
- Support the on-boarding program to address specific department needs and ensure a positive integration of new hires into the organization’s operations and work culture.
- Support the off-boarding process.
Equity & Inclusion
- Provide support and expertise on equity and human rights, including LGBTQI2S.
- Analyze and report on equity and human rights issues related to legislation, polices and procedures.
- Provide advice and guidance to front line staff and managers.
- Participate in and lead Diversity and Inclusion programs and support for frontline staff.
- Participate in the building of an anti-racism and anti-oppression work environment.
- Work collaboratively with the Leadership team in the design and implementation of an organization-wide diversity, equity and inclusion strategy that includes short-term and long-term goals, action plans and metrics to assess and track progress over time.
- Identify the need, develop and implement guidelines on matters related to diversity, equity & inclusion that will bring best practices into the organization as well as ensure compliance with legislation such as the Ontario Human Rights Code.
- Support the development and operationalization of a strategic vision for anti-racism and anti-oppression that supports the realization of the Organization’s vision and builds the foundation necessary for equity and social accountability practices and outcomes.
- Supports in the creation and implementation of an ARAO forum for staff and management to work collaboratively.
Training and Development
- Support management in identifying training needs and provide opportunities for staff competencies, development and professional growth.
- In collaboration with management, develop training programs for frontline staff and coordinate the facilitation of in-house general training.
- Participate in educational activities and initiatives to enhance the skill, experience, and knowledge of Friends of Ruby’s staff.
- Ongoing planning and management of employees’ career path.
- Review training materials from a variety of vendors and select those with appropriate content to make the best use of available resources for staff’s Professional Development.
- Support the HR Manager in the development of an effective performance management process that includes performance management indicators, guidelines, coaching templates and performance improvement plans.
- Provides guidance to managers regarding performance management and performance improvement to address behavioural/performance concerns.
Benefits and Payroll
- Conduct research on employee benefits and health practices and recommend changes to existing policies.
- Conduct research, benchmark and review compensation data for obvious trends to address pay equity issues for better alignment with the sector.
- Support the employee enrollments to benefits and provide support to employees with benefits and provider inquiries.
- Support compensation program and strategies.
- Works closely with Finance in ensuring contracts, pays and benefits are most up-to-date and accurate.
- Manages employee issues in a confidential manner, including disciplinary actions, accommodations, compensations, disputes, etc.
- Develop effective strategies to engage staff, retain people and maintain highly engaged teams.
- Support the Organizations efforts towards team building activities and staff appreciation initiatives
- Fosters positive employee working environment by implementing professional development opportunities and initiatives.
- Develop optimum ways to manage major changes to ensure employees support new processes and directions the organization elects to take. Serve as a link between management and employees by handling questions, interpreting and administering terms of employment and helping resolve work-related problems.
- Serve as a role model in the maintenance of a culture that ensures support and commitment to the vision, mission and goals of the organization.
Policies & Operations
- Reinforces compliance to organizational policies.
- Support in the development and update of Human Resources policies and procedures to align with the organization’s objectives and legislative requirements.
- Documents all Human Resources practices and creates Human Resources Manual and an employee handbook.
- Stay up to date of regulatory changes and requirements to ensure compliance with HR practices,
- Health & Safety mandates, AODA requirements, Employment Standards Act and other HR-related legislation and regulations.
- Ensure the facility and services adequately meet the physical, social and development needs of all staff and participants; and the protection of each individual’s health, safety, comfort and well- being.
- Support in the implementation of all the City of Toronto and Ministry of Health protocols towards COVID 19 measures and ensure protocols and guidelines are being followed.
- Support, coordinate and actively participate in organization’s meetings and training as required.
- Attend Community Partner information sessions and external meetings and share takeaways with the team to ensure up-to-date best practices for the HR department.
- Ensure the accurate documenting of statistical data related to Human Resources and best practices in the sector.
- Support the internal and external communications.
- Participates on committees, task forces and special project as required.
- Supports and administers HRIS, managing employee records and troubleshooting.
- Support the HR Manager in the strategic planning of the department.
- Maintains confidentiality related to all activities and information of a strategic or sensitive nature.
- Prepares metrics reports including items related to organizational demographics, attendance, administration, retention, and engagement levels per Management’s request.
- Supports Organizational Structure review and implement changes.
- Supports the administration and maintenance of HR databases, HRIS and record keeping systems, managing employee records in a safe and confidential manner.
- Seek opportunities to be involved in and contribute with partner agencies and the community sector, establishing and maintaining productive working relationships with other community-based organizations.
- And other duties, as directed, for the delivery of the organization’s strategic priorities and/or to meet key deadlines.
Who you are
We’re looking for someone who can work effectively with different stakeholders to address service inquiries, requests and/or complaints, and compile, analyze and disseminate data and apply it to Human Resources best practices.
You’re thoughtful, decisive, flexible, proactive and organized and are committed to supporting staff through continued efforts and initiatives, leading by example with integrity and autonomy.
You’re a team player with critical thinking and problem-solving skills, who manages change effectively in an ever-changing environment with the ability to work with incomplete information under pressure and manage multiple demands simultaneously to meet deadlines while delivering quality results.
You appreciate an opportunity to collaborate and harness the knowledge of staff from all levels of the Organization with rich experiences and knowledge to offer. You have a deep commitment to equity, inclusion, diversity, anti-racism and anti-oppression and a passion for working with others to support them in achieving their goals in a safe and welcoming environment. And you reflect the broad diversity of the communities we work with, including those from racialized and LGBTQI2S communities. You have an understanding of the non-profit sector and experience working in human resources, providing internal support to staff through an anti-oppressive, anti-racist, strengths-based approach.
Qualifications and Experiences
- At least 3 – 5 years of human resource experience in similar human resources positions.
- Significant experience and expertise in labour laws, knowledge of current provincial; legislation including employment and payroll standards, health and safety, organizational planning, recruitment, HRIS/Payroll systems and employee development.
- Excellent communication and writing skills, and experience completing documentation and reports properly and in a timely manner.
- Bring an understanding of anti-racist and anti-oppression frameworks; the function of power structures in directly disadvantaging marginalized populations; the interconnected nature of social categorizations such as race, gender identity, class, sexual orientation, and ability; providing care through an equity lens.
- Be able to work independently and as part of a team, multitask and remain calm in situations that involve multiple demands, being able to shift priorities with ease and resiliency.
- CHRP/CHRL designation or actively working towards the designation will be considered an asset;
- Satisfactory clearance under the Vulnerable Sector Police Check Program.
- Must be qualified to legally work in Canada.
- Willing to work at a flexible schedule to accommodate the needs of the organization, working evenings and weekends on occasions.
- Ability to work from home and from our two Toronto Downtown offices.
Statement on Employment Equity and Diversity
We are committed to ensuring that members of traditionally marginalized groups, from a broad range of communities, feel empowered to apply for positions within the organization. We encourage qualified applicants to consider work and volunteer opportunities with Friends of Ruby as we recognize that a diverse work force and volunteer base are critical to accomplishing our mission. The organization is dedicated to taking proactive steps to overcome historical patterns of discrimination in our society which have created barriers of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, language, class, sexual orientation, and gender identity or expression for some individuals and have resulted in the denial of their full participation in society.
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter. We thank all candidates for their interest. We regret that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. If you require an accommodation (including alternate format materials, accessible meeting rooms or other accommodation), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
How to ApplyPlease apply here: http://bit.ly/2N1gcn6
82 total views, 1 today