Full-Time Head of Strategy
Head of Strategy
Are you a dynamic and strategic thinker with experience in shaping organisational strategies and facilitating seamless communication?
Do you have experience playing a crucial role in the development or revision of an organisational strategy?
Have you worked in close proximity with senior leaders (board level) to identify strategy development priorities and emerging trends?
Have you demonstrated effective collaboration and relationship-building in your previous roles?
If so, we may have an excellent opportunity for you.
Our client is The Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) – an organisation that truly wants to make the world a better place. With over 95,000 members globally and over 200 years of history, ICE is a centre of engineering excellence, qualifying engineers, and helping them maintain lifelong competence, assuring society that the infrastructure they create is safe, dependable and well designed.
- Full-time permanent contract
- Starting salary of circa £75,000 per annum + great benefits
- Hybrid: a mixture of remote and office working in beautiful offices in Westminster.
Our client is seeking a talented individual to take on the pivotal brand-new role of supporting the Director General (DG) and directors in navigating emerging trends and opportunities, both internally and externally.
As the ICE strategy undergoes formal review in 2025, this role will play a crucial part in assisting the DG and DG Board throughout the process and subsequently embedding the revised strategy into the annual plans.
This role will suit if you have experience of cultivating and navigating relationships internally and externally; in particular, working with senior leaders (board level).
The post holder will systemise the strategy review process for the forthcoming 2025 review. They will collaborate with directors and heads of departments to align individual strategies with the overarching organisational strategy.
Another key part of the role involves working closely with the Director General and the President to identify opportunities to maximise external profile and awareness, through effective scheduling and event coordination.
This is an excellent opportunity to be part of an organisation that genuinely makes a positive impact on society, working towards sustainability goals and contributing to a better future.
Key accountabilities are focused on four areas:
Director General Board
Lead on forward planning for the DG Board, using this programme to review and strengthen the ICE’s strategic goals and plans and oversee the review of the ICE strategy.
Lead role to develop a review process and to review and update the ICE strategy, taking account of the ICE mission and vision, changing external and internal contexts and factors and the direction from the Trustee Board and the DG Board.
ICE business planning
Work closely with Finance team to develop the ICE annual plan.
Director General’s Office (ODG)
Lead role to represent the ODG in internal communications to ICE Group staff, working closely with the People directorate, Communications, and directors to make sure that staff are informed and engaged with the full scope of the ICE Group business.
Operational, people and financial responsibilities
- Periodically review and update the ICE strategy, taking account of changing external and internal contexts and factors and the direction from the DG Board with regards to Trustee Board intent
- Develop/commission cross-Group feeder strategies for the ICE strategy. Assess the alignment of divisional strategies with the ICE strategy and feed back on alignment opportunities to divisional strategy owners
- Develop and maintain an ICE stakeholder strategy and plan in conjunction with the DG Board
- Develop a workplan for the DG Board for ongoing review of the ICE strategy, taking into account existing feeder strategies, their maturity and timelines for review
- Contribute to the ICE annual report and accounts to ensure that the delivery of the ICE plan and ICE’s achievements are appropriately reported
- Manage the delegated budget to ensure that all expenditure is in line with ICE plan priorities and procedures and that individual transactions are value for money.
The successful candidate will have experience of:
- Strategy development, prioritisation and planning
- Collaboration, building an extensive network and strong working relationships
- Resolving conflict with diplomacy and tact and building consensus
- Working at pace and with multiple priorities
- Ideally, the built environment and infrastructure landscape, or the ability to quickly adapt to a new context.
- Professionalism: actively supports the ICE vision and strategy; promotes a positive, professional image of ICE Group; assesses and manages risks appropriately
- Member and customer focus: builds lasting relationships with members/customers; anticipates changing needs and acts upon them
- Teamwork: works collaboratively with everyone; uses and respects others’ expertise; shares information and resources
- Delivering results: focuses on solutions and outcomes; plans intelligently; takes responsibility for actions
- Continuous improvement: actively supports change; prioritises the right activities; takes responsibility for personal development.
Notes for applicants
- Applications deadline is Sunday 11 February.
- Applications should be in the form of a CV plus a covering letter. The covering letter must be no more than two pages and explain how your experience matches the requirements.
- If shortlisted, first-stage interviews will be conducted on 27 February, 2.30 p.m. onwards, and 28 February, 2.00 p.m. onwards. The interviews will be in person at ICE’s London office. No alternative dates are possible.
- If progressed, the final interview stage will be held on 7 March between 11.00 a.m. and 4.00 p.m., in person at ICE’s London office. Applicants must be available on this date, as no alternative dates will be possible. This stage will involve preparing a presentation.
62 total views, 0 today