Full-Time Full Stack Developer
Jangala is seeking a talented and experienced full stack developer – with a desire to be involved in the creation of innovative humanitarian technologies – to join our rapidly growing team in London. The role involves working with people across the organisation to create scalable, efficient, and user-friendly applications and technologies with the aim of reducing the global digital divide and empowering communities.
Jangala is a humanitarian technology charity that designs, manufactures and deploys award-winning rapid Wi-Fi products to connect marginalised and underserved people globally to the internet. We are looking for a Full Stack Software Developer to be an important and integral part in our journey to scale – from connecting almost 100,000 to date to connecting many millions by 2029 – in line with our new five-year strategy. To tackle the digital divide Jangala works with local communities and world leading companies, including our donor partners Lenovo, Arm and Virgin Media O2.
At this exciting stage of growth – moving from prototypes and pilots, to mass market expansion and scale – you will have the opportunity to embody the critical role that high quality engineering will play in providing reliable and secure products for our partners.
We are winners of the 2022 Clifford Chance SDG Award, 2021 Cisco Global Problem Solvers Digital Inclusivity Prize as well as one of 50 Global Best Practice projects showcased at Expo 2020. Our goal is to become one of the world’s leading humanitarian technology organisations.
Details of the role
As our Full Stack Developer, you will play a key part in creating the software that drives our devices, cloud platform and tooling that will enable us to deploy, monitor and control our products at scale from 2024. You will contribute across a wide technology stack, innovating and finding areas in which to take ownership and leadership.
Specific tasks will include:
- Design and development of high-quality, scalable, and secure cloud services, web applications, APIs and mobile apps from concept to deployment.
- Work on both front-end and back-end technologies, ensuring seamless integration and user experience.
- Contribution to technical research and product innovation.
- Distributed and edge server development.
- Collaboration within a multidisciplinary team, across the organisation and externally with partners.
- Technical leadership and mentorship to junior developers.
- Participation in code reviews to maintain high standards of code quality.
- Involvement in embedded, WIFI, radio, networking and communications development
The person we’re looking for
Firstly, we understand that many people – often people who identify as women – only apply for jobs when they believe they match 100% of the criteria. If you don’t meet all the criteria but you believe that this is the right position for you and are passionate about what we’re doing here at Jangala, we’d love to hear from you.
We’re looking for someone inspired by Jangala’s mission and with a desire to innovate to help some of the world’s most vulnerable people. Ideally, you will have a nuanced understanding of core programming concepts and a passion for building software across a wide range of technologies. You should also be comfortable taking the lead in projects and you should work well with others.
The following skills and experience are required:
- In-Depth, hands-on experience in full-stack development
- Management experience
- Degree level qualification or demonstrable equivalent expertise in computing or a related field
- Fluency in at least one high level programming language, such as Python
- An interest in developing servers and embedded technologies using languages like Go and Lua
The following skills and experience are a bonus:
- An interest in and commitment to open source
- Volunteering to help others
Jangala’s office is based in London and operates a remote-first working policy. Travel to our London office will be required for mind-mapping and collaborative work at least once a week.
We are committed to creating an environment that attracts, motivates, and supports the best people from all backgrounds. This includes:
- Flexible working (general arrangement is one day in the office per week)
- 29 days of paid leave a year, on top of paid bank holidays (in a normal year that’s 37)
- Quarterly bonus assessed on a whole team level
- 5% employer pension contribution
- Free gym and climbing membership
- Future shadow share options in the future
- Enhanced parental leave
- A real focus on learning and development with each person having an L&D budget
- Yearly opportunities to volunteer and gain on-the-ground experience of the impact Jangala is having in communities and disaster areas
- Team days out
- A meritocratic hiring process that emphasises on experience, talent and motivation, rather than academic qualifications or CV specifics
We welcome applications from people of all gender identities, ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, religious beliefs or none. We particularly encourage applications from groups traditionally underrepresented in the technology and charity industries.
The starting salary for this role will be £42,000-£50,000 per annum. We would consider part-time working for this role.
How to ApplyIf you feel inspired by our work and this position we’d love to hear from you! To apply, please send a CV (1-2 pages) and cover letter (1 page) explaining why you’re a good fit to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: 'Full Stack Developer application - [Your name].’ Good luck
72 total views, 0 today