Full-Time Executive Director
HeadCount is a non-profit organization that sits at the intersection of culture and civic engagement with a nearly 20-year track record of registering and turning out voters, both online and at live music events (primarily concert tours and festivals). We have registered over 1.2 million voters, and most recently achieved a 78% turnout among those we registered for the 2020 Presidential election.
We partner with more than 200 musicians, events, and brands to accomplish our work. Key partners include Harry Styles, Lizzo, Billie Eilish, Ariana Grande, Dead & Company, and Dave Matthews, as well as partnering for events with March for Our Lives, PRIDE Festivals, Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza, and with brands such as Spotify, Global Citizen, and MTV. In addition to these partners, HeadCount leverages the passion of over 60,000 volunteers to deliver on our mission.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The new executive director will step into their role at HeadCount during an exciting time of growth and success. They will be responsible for leading and managing the operations, fundraising, strategic planning, and growth of an organization with a $4-$5 million annual budget. They will work with a 22-person team of skilled and experienced staff who are passionate about delivering on our mission to change the world one voter at a time.
The role requires a visionary leader who can inspire and motivate staff, bring together communities in various music and cultural environments, and who has a deep appreciation for how music, technology, media, and youth culture can all work together to drive social impact. They will be an excellent communicator adept at balancing external and internal demands on the organization and staff, as well as a leader that prioritizes work/life balance for themselves, staff, and volunteers.
The executive director will report to the board of directors and will also partner directly with HeadCount’s founder and outgoing executive director who will remain involved as a strategic consultant and ambassador.
The executive director’s responsibilities include:
STRATEGY AND VISION
- Build on past successes by leading the thoughtful development and tactical implementation of a long-term strategic plan to achieve HeadCount’s mission and goals, in collaboration with the board of directors, staff, and other stakeholders;
- Anticipate and adapt to changes in youth culture and the electoral, media, and entertainment landscape in a way that sets HeadCount up for sustainable and successful growth;
- Be an everyday champion of the values of equity, inclusion, and belonging, and actively work to maintain other organizational values such as nonpartisanship, volunteerism, and partnership.
DEVELOPMENT, FUNDRAISING AND PARTNERSHIPS
- Oversee fundraising efforts, including major gifts, grants, and corporate partnerships, to ensure the financial sustainability and growth of the organization;
- Build on existing networks to forge strategic partnerships that help HeadCount achieve our mission;
- Engage current and potential individual donors, foundations, corporate partners, music and entertainment industry supporters, and revenue-producing collaborators via an approach that centers mission and HeadCount’s ability to deliver results;
- Leverage the founder’s experience and contacts in order to maintain and build on strategic fundraising and revenue generation opportunities;
- Support various departments in maximizing relationships with a wide variety of top musicians, entertainers, corporate sponsors, media platforms, and concert promoters;
- Support partnerships department in maximizing relationships with corporate sponsors, media platforms, major festivals, and special events;
- Serve as a public face of HeadCount to gain visibility that leads directly and indirectly to financial support.
- Organize, inspire, and mentor staff through collaboration, goal-setting, problem solving, strategic planning, and supporting opportunities for professional development;
- Oversee operations of national field and digital campaigns through a data-driven, results-oriented approach that ensures departments are adequately staffed and that staff have the resources needed to deliver impact;
- Manage HeadCount’s budget, financial reporting, and compliance with legal and regulatory requirements;
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of HeadCount’s programs and initiatives and make recommendations for improvements and innovations;
- Lead and manage HeadCount’s staff, volunteers, and programs to build the infrastructure of the organization; ensuring systems, processes, and work plans across the organization are functioning and aligned to a clear and common vision and that day-to-day operations are set up for maximum impact and long-term sustainability;
- Champion effective internal processes that enhance collaboration and decision-making between all teams and ensure multi-directional communications and feedback loops across the organization.
MESSAGING, BRAND AND PUBLIC COMMUNICATIONS
- Establish and maintain relationships with key stakeholders, including musicians, artists, venues, volunteers, media partners, and civic organizations, to advance HeadCount’s mission and increase our visibility and impact;
- Be a steward of the HeadCount brand both externally and internally, ensuring quality, consistency, and nonpartisanship across all platforms and elevating awareness of HeadCount’s work;
- Utilize excellent written and visual communication skills for the creation or editing of presentations, grant applications, and other outbound communication;
- Be able to work effectively in the music and entertainment industry, establishing key relationships and building on key alliances;
- Develop campaigns and narrative strategies that grow HeadCount’s impact and engage key target audiences;
- Develop and implement marketing and communications strategies to promote HeadCount’s brand and mission, and to engage our volunteers, supporters, and stakeholders.
- Lead board meetings three times per year and speak directly to board members on a regular basis;
- Work closely with the board chair in areas such as fundraising, strategy, governance, and partnership development;
- Collaborate with the board to build consensus around strategic priorities and identify and pursue opportunities for growth;
- Help identify and recruit new board members.
The ideal candidate will have most, if not all, of the following professional and personal qualities, skills, and characteristics
- At least 7 years of experience, with a proven track record of success in key areas including fundraising, strategic planning, partnership and business development, narrative storytelling, team leadership, campaign management and volunteer engagement;
- A deep passion for music combined with strong knowledge of civic engagement, social justice, and how culture can drive positive change; a longstanding commitment to social impact in a measurable form, along with personal passion for democratic participation;
- Successful experience generating revenue via either partnerships, multi-year major donors and/or foundations, sponsorship sales, commercial co-ventures or other forms of fundraising, in either the non-profit or private sector;
- Ability to work in a nonpartisan environment and bring democratic participation to everyone, even those whose beliefs with which they may personally disagree;
- A strong connection to and understanding of HeadCount’s diverse and young target audience that will help us stay on the cultural forefront;
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and relationship-building skills, with the ability to engage diverse stakeholders and build consensus;
- Fostering a positive and inclusive work environment that promotes inspiration, collaboration, and candor; genuine openness to constructive input;
- Financial management skills, with experience in budgeting, financial reporting, and compliance;
- Experience with marketing and communications, including social media, content development, and public relations; an awareness of trends in media, entertainment, design, and marketing so that we remain on the cutting edge of how we interact with the public – especially young voters;
- Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills, with the ability to identify and capitalize on emerging opportunities;
- A demonstrated ability to identify, realize, and leverage innovative technology ideas;
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple priorities, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, dynamic environment;
- Willingness to travel as needed.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
HeadCount is offering a base salary of $135,000 – $160,000 (commensurate with experience), plus substantial bonus opportunity based on achieving key metrics, and competitive benefits including a generous 401k match, flexible paid time off, family and medical leave. This is a hybrid position, requiring two days per week in our New York City office (midtown).
Trisha Sutrisno and Amber Gomes of Koya Partners have been exclusively retained for this search. To express your interest in this role please submit your materials here. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
HeadCount is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. HeadCount is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, disability, or age.
Koya Partners is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals living with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual living with a disability and need assistance expressing interest online, please email No****************@di*******.com. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
How to ApplyApply via https://diversifiedsearchgroup.com/search/19560-headcount-executive-director/
105 total views, 4 today