Full-Time Executive Director
The Bearded Ladies Cabaret is seeking an Executive Director to partner with Artistic Director, John Jarboe to lead the next phase of our growth. Working alongside Jarboe, the ED is the key management leader tasked with steering the artistic community of the Bearded Ladies thoughtfully as we shift from being an artist collective into a more formalized institutional identity. We are one of Philadelphia’s most visible and prolific queer arts producers and presenters, and are looking for someone who is as passionate about fostering and managing a thoughtful and growing institution as we are.
We actively welcome and encourage folx to apply from equity-seeking groups, including those who identify as indigenous, black, people of color, trans, nonbinary, queer, people with disabilities, and intersections of those identities.
Apply if you would describe yourself with some or all of the following statements:
- Able to keep the big picture in mind and dig into the details
- Able to thrive in a highly collaborative, team-oriented work culture and can communicate effectively with colleagues, in both in-person and remote environments
- Loves identifying and creatively solving problems as they arise
- Loves the word “Queer”
- Is passionate about and is experienced in producing and/or administrating and/or fundraising/development in the performing arts field
- Loves managing people and creating human centered, equitable systems of collaboration
- Has experience and knowledge of non-profit arts management and how to work equitably and with an anti-racist lens within and against this system
Bearded Mission: The Bearded Ladies Cabaret is a queer arts organization that sits on your lap and sings you a story. Whether it’s an opera, a home-made cabaret, a musical walking tour, or a show on a truck, we employ song, spectacle, storytelling, and heart to welcome audiences into moments of joy, healing, and subversion. Through sharing our original pieces and creating bespoke platforms for performance at home in Philadelphia, nationally, and abroad, we nurture artistic connection for a community of misfits, rabble-rousers, chanteuses and the people who love and need them.
Bearded Values: One central value to all our artistic and administrative practice is heart. By practicing with “heart” we mean practicing with humanity, care, vulnerability, and clear communication. As we live in both the process of artmaking and the systems that support that work, we aim to work with equity, prioritizing people (artists, technicians, and administrators) over products. We see our work as rooted in queer liberation, which does not exist without the liberation of all oppressed groups. Prioritizing liberation and heart in art making means creating a healthy space with systems of support for artists, administrators, and technicians.
Where you will work: The Bearded Ladies have an office and rehearsal space in West Philadelphia. We call it The Beardcave. As of May 2022, The Bearded Ladies are currently operating in a primarily remote work environment, with some in-person meetings, and onsite time for performances. This balance of in-office and remote time is evolving given the state of Covid-19. The Executive Director must be based in or willing to relocate to the Philadelphia area.
Compensation: The salary range for this role is between $55-65K. This is a full time/salaried position, eligible for health and vacation benefits.
Process: The hiring process will involve three rounds of interviews. The first will be a short phone interview. At least one of the two later interviews will be in person with the organization covering travel costs as needed.
Search Committee: Expressions of interest and formal applications will be reviewed by the Bearded Ladies search committee and the team at Work Shouldn’t Suck. Search committee members include: John Jarboe (Artistic Director), Sally Ollove (Associate Artistic Director), Anthony Martinez-Briggs (Associate Artist Advisory Board Member), Veronica Chapman-Smith (Associate Artist Advisory Board Member), Chris Bartlett (Executive Director of the William Way Center), and Emily Schreiner (Former Beards Interim COO, Future Board Member).
FULL JOB DESCRIPTION:
The Executive Director will partner with Founding Artistic Director John Jarboe, the Bearded Ladies staff, Associate Artists, and larger community in shaping the next phase of the Bearded Ladies Cabaret. They will lead the Bearded Ladies in community building, resource development and allocation, and strategic planning. The ED will manage staff and facilities and partner with the Artistic Director on program strategy and the long term growth of the organization.
- Strategic Planning & Values: The ED will lead strategic planning to ensure the organization is meeting its goals around the Bearded Ladies’ values and mission. They will partner with various department heads to ensure strategies and goals are aligned with the overall vision of the organization.
- Resource Development & Allocation: The ED will be responsible for creating a comprehensive revenue strategy for the organization, including overseeing efforts around foundational and governmental support, individual donations, special events, and earned income. They will supervise budgeting and cash flow as led by the Operations Manager. The ED will manage the Bearded Ladies’ transition to 501c3 status (currently underway), including the creation of a Bearded Board.
- Community and Relationship Development: The ED will act as the primary liaison for key stakeholders including board members, partner organizations, and key donors. They will be active and visible in the larger community as a representative of the Beards. Alongside the Artistic Director, the ED will be the go-to person for the many intersecting communities involved in Bearded Ladies programs.
- Management of Staff and Contractors: The ED will set deadlines and clear expectations for a small team and hold staff accountable to those expectations with care and clarity. They will hire and supervise the Bearded Ladies’ administrative staff and oversee a Communications Manager, an Operations Manager, a Staff Producer, a Production Manager and an Associate Artistic Director as well as ongoing consultants and seasonal hires.
How to ApplyPlease submit a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submissions will be evaluated on a rolling basis and accepted through July 1, 2022. At this time we are only seeking a cover letter (details below). Selected candidates will be invited to enhance their application with a resume. Cover Letter: Please let us know briefly why you are interested in this position and in working with The Bearded Ladies. Cover letters may be submitted in writing or in video. Process: The hiring process will involve three rounds of interviews. The first will be a short phone interview. At least one of the two later interviews will be in person with the organization covering travel costs as needed.
387 total views, 0 today