Full-Time Equipment Operataor
Here is an opportunity for you to have a rewarding and stable job in an exciting and professional work environment! The Concord Public Works Highway and Grounds Division seeks a team member with good communication skills to perform skilled operator and general labor duties using a variety of construction and maintenance equipment. Concord is a progressive, customer-focused municipality with a modern fleet of well-maintained vehicles and equipment and prides itself on being a leader in the industry. Class B CDL and 2B, 4E and 4G hoisting licenses required within 6 months of hire. Possession of Class B CDL and 2B hoisting license upon hire strongly preferred.
Full pay range: $22.97- $32.57/hour, plus paid leave, health insurance and pension benefits. Starting salary is based on qualifications and typically in the first half of range. We value diversity and welcome candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
Applications must be received by Friday, September 30, 2023. The Town reserves the right to modify the application deadline, and/or to accept applications after the deadline, to best serve the interest of the community.
After the deadline, all applications will be reviewed and the most highly qualified candidates will be invited to one or more interviews and/or other assessments. All applicants will be notified of their standing in the process as soon as a decision has been made regarding their individual application.
Appointment of the final candidate will be contingent upon the results of pre-placement conditions including a physical exam, drug screening, criminal and motor vehicle record checks, and a Commercial Driver’s License drug and alcohol testing history check. Costs for these pre-placement requirements will be borne by the Town.
The Town of Concord, MA is EEO Employer. We value diversity and welcome candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
Under the general supervision of the Highway and Grounds Superintendent, operates snow plow and other heavy and light equipment. Responds to snow and other types of emergencies for plowing and cleaning the streets and maintenance of Town Property for the public’s safety. Responsible for maintaining and improving upon the efficiency and effectiveness of all areas under their direction and control. Performs varied and responsible duties requiring a thorough knowledge of departmental operations and the exercise of judgment and initiative in completing tasks, particularly in situations not clearly defined by precedent or established procedures. Incumbent is called upon to handle a significant amount of details, each varying from the other in substance and content, requiring incumbent to approach workload with flexibility. Incumbent must have knowledge of and follow safe work and construction practices including the use of Personal Protective Equipment and public safety measures.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who are or become disabled as defined under the Americans With Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.
- Operates backhoe, front-end loader, street sweeper, compressor, sewer jet truck, hoisting machine and vac-all. Operates sander, plow truck, tanker truck, all dump trucks and other heavy and light gasoline and diesel powered motorized equipment.
- Performs routine maintenance and minor repairs to equipment and vehicles and notifies supervisor of equipment malfunctions requiring more substantial maintenance efforts. May assist mechanics as required to repair/maintain equipment. Greases equipment when necessary to maintain efficiency.
- Operates lawn care and maintenance equipment, chain saw, chipper and a variety of hand tools and equipment to maintain and upkeep town lawns, cemetery grounds, trees, shrubbery and other outside areas. Picks up and removes refuse and assists in ordering and delivering refuse disposal bags.
- Performs equipment operation and general labor duties such as paving/patching roadways and sidewalks; cleaning, repairing and installing drains, catch basins and culvers, assisting in installing/repairing sewer and water mains/services, painting and maintaining fences, gates and signs; moving, transporting furniture; setting up tables and chairs for special town functions; assisting in landfill operations; digging graves and installing/building foundations and stones.
- Performs equipment operation and labor duties in accordance with applicable safety regulations.
- Responds to after-hour weather emergencies to operate snow plowing/removal equipment and performs other related operations and general labor duties. Plows snow, salts and sands roads and sidewalks. Mixes salt and sand and loads sanders.
- Responds to routine inquires, requests and complaints from the public and others related to division operations within scope of authority and refers unresolved matters to supervisor.
- Operates various paving equipment for sidewalk, road way, and trench applications.
- Repairs or replaces drain catch basins. Mixes cement.
- Assists Cemetery unit with equipment operations when needed.
- Assists other divisions in support of operations and maintenance activities.
- Performs special projects and related responsibilities as initiated and requested.
- Performs other related duties as required, directed or as the situation dictates.
- Regular attendance at the workplace is required.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- High school diploma or equivalent with three to five years of operating heavy equipment.
- Class B Commercial Driver’s License with air brake endorsement.
- Massachusetts 2B Hoisting Engineer license upon hire, and Massachusetts 4E and 4G Hoisting Engineer licenses within 6 months of hire.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Ability to operate heavy equipment such as tractor, lawn mower, backhoe, front-end loader, mini excavator, road sweeper, chainsaw, power tools, etc. Ability to exercise caution when operating such equipment.
- Ability to follow oral and written communication.
- Ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with the public, co-workers, other employees, departments, officials and other agencies.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who are or become disabled as defined under the Americans With Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the physical demands (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.
While performing the functions of this job, the employee may be required to perform heavy manual labor under varying weather conditions for long periods of time and to drive heavy equipment for long periods of time during all types of weather conditions. Employee is required to stand, walk, sit and hear for extended periods. Employee is required to traverse uneven terrain. Employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reaches with hands and arms; stoops, kneels, climbs and crawls. Specific vision abilities required include close, distance, and peripheral vision and the ability to adjust focus. Incumbent must be able to hear normal sounds, distinguish sounds as voice patterns and communicate. Frequently lifts supplies and equipment weighing 100 pounds.
Operates tractors, lawn mowers, backhoes, front-end loaders, weed whips, chain saws, grinders, carpenter tools, power tools, cherry picker, dump trucks, chippers and brush cutters. Balancing, crouching, grasping, pulling, reaching and stooping may also be required.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and is subject to change by the employer, as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
How to ApplyTo apply, please visit https://concordconnection.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/2/home?c=concordconnection or call Human Resources at 9783183025.
87 total views, 3 today