Full-Time Director of Litigation
To view full job posting and apply:
First consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days.
Director of Litigation, 23000E0V
The Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH) is seeking a dynamic professional to be its new Director of Litigation. This role will play an instrumental part in upholding the Department’s mission to prevent illness, injury, and premature death, ensuring access to high-quality public health services, and promoting wellness and health equity across the Commonwealth. As the Director of Litigation, you will be responsible for managing, coordinating, and advising on all litigation matters impacting the Department.
Your role involves overseeing a team tasked with responding to subpoenas, handling discovery processes, and drafting legal documents such as pleadings, motions, and memorandums of law. As the leader of the Office of General Counsel’s litigation team, you will recruit, train, supervise, and evaluate attorneys who defend the Department’s position or prosecute matters in adjudicatory proceedings. Your expertise will extend to formulating program priorities, providing oversight on policy development, and ensuring compliance with legal requirements related to litigation, public records, meetings law, and state ethics.
Duties and Responsibilities (these duties are a general summary and not all inclusive):
- Lead and direct the Office of General Counsel’s litigation team, setting annual goals and providing overall strategic direction to ensure the effective defense of the Department’s position in legal matters.
- Recruit, train, supervise, and evaluate a team of attorneys responsible for litigation, ensuring a high level of expertise and adherence to legal standards.
- Formulate program priorities and goals in collaboration with the General Counsel, contributing to the strategic direction of the Department.
- Provide oversight and strategic guidance on the development of policies, procedures, and training initiatives to promote compliance with legal requirements, including those related to litigation, public records, meetings law, and state ethics.
- Make hiring recommendations to the General Counsel, ensuring the acquisition of skilled legal professionals to strengthen the litigation team.
- Develop and implement databases, policies, and procedures to enhance the effectiveness of the legal team and facilitate compliance with statutory mandates.
- Maintain current expertise in relevant areas of law, including civil procedure, administrative procedure, public records, records retention, open meetings, state ethics, and contracts.
- Evaluate and comment on legislative language relevant to Department programs, contributing to the development of legislation and regulations.
- Collaborate with program directors and staff on policy development to ensure alignment with legal guidelines and mandates.
- Provide legal guidance to program directors and staff regarding investigations, enforcement actions, federal grant compliance, data security, reporting, and other pertinent legal matters.
- Assist in state budget analysis and legislation analysis and oversee special projects.
- Strong knowledge of personnel support and management.
- Extensive knowledge of civil litigation and administrative law as well as familiarity with criminal law.
- Knowledge of specific legal requirements and principles associated with work in state government.
- General knowledge of public health and contract law.
- Extensive skill and experience in complex civil litigation, legal analysis, statutory drafting, and interpretation, and writing and analyzing regulations.
- Excellent interpersonal, advocacy, and problem-solving skills.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
How to ApplyTo view full job posting and apply: https://massanf.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobdetail.ftl?job=23000E0V&tz=GMT-05%3A00&tzname=America%2FNew_York First consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days.
70 total views, 0 today