Temporary Deputy Director for Progressive Ballot Initiative
Deputy Field Director
The Outreach Team is hiring experienced field directors to run signature gathering offices to expand access to plant-based psychedelics. Research from America’s top universities shows these medicines can treat PTSD, addiction, depression, and other serious medical issues that affect countless people in Massachusetts. We are in the midst of a serious national mental health crisis and creating legal access to therapeutic plant medicines will offer an additional tool to help those experiencing mental health challenges.
We are hiring Deputy Field Directors to manage our offices in Boston, Amherst and Worcester. Deputy Field Directors will recruit, train, and manage a team of local circulators to collect signatures for a progressive statewide ballot initiative in Massachusetts. Deputy Field Directors will work with their Lead Director and team to build an office to scale from the ground up. The Deputy Field Director is expected to train circulators in the field while collecting signatures themselves to lead by example; they must also communicate long term and short term goals to staff and manage campaign reporting. The Deputy Field Director manages circulators and Team Leads and reports to the Lead Director.
Location: Boston, Amherst, Worcester
- Manage a team of 15-30 hourly staff who will be collecting signatures for a progressive ballot initiative
- Set goals and hold staff accountable
- Train and provide ongoing motivation and support to staff
- Identify, promote, and train a leadership team
- Build a diverse team where staff feel respected, while fostering a culture of equity and justice
- Implement quality control measures to ensure integrity of the work
- Go in the field yourself a few days per week to collect signatures, train staff, and help drive office goals
- Maintain a healthy and safe working environment for all staff
- Develop strategic plans to reach registered voters in assigned locations
- Manage administrative duties, including reporting data, record keeping, processing payroll, and distributing materials
- Canvass a minimum of 2 days per week
- Strong management skills, including the ability to motivate and inspire a team while also holding staff accountable to goals and expectations
- Can speak compellingly about campaign issues and strategy
- Willing and able to listen to staff and solve problems
- Willing to work long hours and weekends for a short campaign
- Committed to equity and inclusion
- Strong work ethic; able to persevere in the face of challenges and setbacks
- Flexible; ready for the unexpected and willing to adapt to last minute changes
- Eager to learn and open to feedback
- Basic tech competency (G-suite or microsoft office, smart phone or computer)
- Community or issue-based campaign experience
- Experience running paid canvasses or managing paid employees
- Passion for social change and activism
- Team building ability Attention to detail
- A track record of success meeting or exceeding goals
- Experience working in underserved or marginalized communities
- Facilitation experience
- Local knowledge/experience
Salary: The salary range for this position is $1125 – $1423 per week depending on responsibility and experience. Performance bonuses may be awarded at the midpoint and end of the campaign. We offer a generous benefits package, including paid vacation and sick leave, health insurance, a monthly phone stipend, and hands-on, paid training. At the end of the campaign, there may be opportunities for advancement.
Equity: If you are interested in this position but don’t think you qualify for everything, please don’t let that stop you from applying! At The Outreach Team, we prioritize equity and inclusion and believe our work is better when it benefits from the knowledge, experience, and wisdom of people who have faced systemic barriers.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we strongly encourage Black, indigenous, people of color, women, people with previous felony convictions, members of the LGBTQIA+ community,
Who We Are
The Outreach Team is the national engine of campaigners and organizers powering the progressive movement. With an on-the-ground presence in communities all across the country, our world-class team runs successful civic engagement campaigns on behalf of progressive organizations and campaigns—to build a future that’s fairer, greener, safer and more peaceful for everyone.
Our client list includes organizations like Black Progressive Action Coalition, Everytown for Gun Safety Action Fund, Climate Action Campaign, Planned Parenthood, Democratic Senate Campaign Committee, For our Future, Solar Rights Alliance, The United Food and Commercial Workers International Union, and more.
How to ApplyApply here: https://www.theoutreachteam.net/jobs
49 total views, 1 today