Reporting to: VP of HR and Finance
Application close date: December 15, 2022
About the role
This position will play a key role in supporting the organization’s accounting, financial reporting, and compliance functions. The Controller will collaborate with the VP of Finance and HR in overseeing accounting operations, reporting and regulatory compliance. Their duties include directing Accounting Managers and department operations, compiling financial reports based on financial statements and implementing policies and procedures for financial reporting.
The ideal candidate must have solid communication, technology, analytical and management skills. Candidates should possess knowledge of all aspects of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). The role usually requires at least seven years of relevant experience and a bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance.
Accounting & Financial Reporting
- Provide management with information, metrics & incisive commentary vital to the decision-making process to affect positive change
- Closely monitor companies financial health, performance and provide recommendations and take actions to improve increase company profitability
- Plan, direct and coordinate all accounting operational functions
- Ensure all transactional activities are conducted smoothly not limited to: payroll, payables, receivables, chart of accounts, debt payments, cash disbursements, accruals, reconciliations, etc.
- Administration of corporate credit card charges
- Produce accurate internal financial reports for senior management to help improve our operational efficiency and aid in the company’s growth
- Collaborate with the Development Team to prepare external financial statements (Grant Reporting)
- Keep abreast of variances from the budget and report significant issues to management
- Assist management in budgeting process
- Provide tools & reports for management to ensure team is able to track and hit financial objectives
- Assess current accounting operations and offer recommendations for improvement and implementing new processes; make tangible improvements towards automation of repeatable, low-value and mundane tasks in accounting
- Evaluate the effectiveness of accounting software and supporting database, as needed
- Understand the financials of the company in order to meet legal requirements and keep the financial state in good standing
- Evaluate accounting and internal control systems
- Spearhead auditing process (internal & external)
- Oversee regulatory reporting, including IRS Form 990
- Establish financial and operating benchmarks, budgets, program monitoring, and reporting standards on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis
- Hire, train and retain skilled accounting staff
- Supervise employees in preparing financial reports and budgets
Note: Research suggests that women and BIPOC individuals may self-select out of opportunities if they don’t meet 100% of the job requirements. We encourage individuals who believe they have the skills necessary to thrive at CodePath to apply for this role.
- 7+ years of experience in a finance or accounting role
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, or in a related field
- CPA desired but not required
- Previous experience in public accounting is highly valued
- Experience with Sage Intacct, Bill.com, and Expensify preferred, but not required
- Experience with G-Suite preferred, but not required
- Organized, detail-oriented, and able to work independently
- Excellent research, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication, presentation, and time management
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully with multiple team members and juggle multiple projects at once
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to create positive, trusting, professional relationships with diverse colleagues
- Demonstrates integrity, honesty, excellence, and urgency in their work
- Ability to work in a start-up environment, requiring flexibility, self-motivation, self-directed problem-solving, collaborative work style, drive toward results, and enthusiasm
- Other duties as assigned
We are committed to professional growth and fulfillment at work. Benefits include:
- Medical insurance with dental and vision.
- Generous time off with a flexible workplace and work schedule.
- A commitment to developing leaders from within the organization.
- Frequent opportunities to connect with students, universities, and communities we serve.
- Opportunities to engage, collaborate and partner with top technology companies, venture capitalists, and engineering leaders.
About the Current Team
We are individuals from a multitude of backgrounds, experiences, and unlikely stories, all connected by a single dream: a world in which regardless of background, socioeconomic status, gender or race all people have pathways to reach their full potential.
With a staff and board that cares deeply about diversity and equity, we believe that diverse perspectives and backgrounds create a richer work environment and enhance our ability to pursue our mission.
How to ApplyPlease apply here.
290 total views, 0 today