Full-Time Community Development Chief Building Official
To supervise, plan and coordinate the activities and operations of the Building Code Administration section within the Public Services Department; to coordinate assigned activities with other divisions, outside agencies and the general public; and to provide highly responsible and complex staff assistance to higher level Department staff.
Receives general direction from the Director of Community Development.
Exercises direct supervision over professional, technical and clerical staff.
Education and Experience:
Five years increasingly responsible construction experience, including familiarity with building, plumbing and mechanical construction.
Equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in structural engineering, architecture or a related field.
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying.
License or Certificate:
Certification as a Building Official through the International Code Council (ICC) within one year of employment; or Certification as a Residential and Commercial Building Inspector, Plumbing Inspector, and Residential and Commercial Mechanical Inspector through ICC, IAPMO, or other approved organization.
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid driver’s license.
Knowledge of: Codes and ordinances relating to building and zoning; modern techniques and methods of building construction, including use of materials and equipment; principles and practices of the Uniform Building, Plumbing, and Mechanical, Codes; principles of structural design, engineering mathematics and building inspection; research methods and sources of information related to building code enforcement; principles of budget preparation and control; principles of supervision, training and performance evaluation; pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, codes and regulations.
Ability to: Understand and interpret plans, diagrams, blueprints and specifications; manage and coordinate the work of supervisory, professional, and technical personnel; administer a variety of building inspection and related code enforcement activities; analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals; analyze and check complex plans and specifications; assist in preparing code amendments; interpret building policies and procedures to the general public; interpret and apply County policies, procedures, rules and regulations as well as the Uniform Building Codes; gain cooperation through discussion and persuasion; prepare clear and concise reports; communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work, including a variety of County and other government officials, community groups, the media, and the general public.
If you wish to upload a resume or other documents: Resumes and documents must be attached together in the ‘Resume Upload’ section of the application. Multiple files are allowed, but all applicant attachments must be uploaded simultaneously, as there is no way to edit or append uploaded materials after submitting the application.
Application Review (Pass/Fail) – An online application is required. Attaching a resume does not substitute for a completed application; incomplete applications will not pass the application review. Candidates deemed most qualified will be invited to participate in the remainder of the selection process.
Practical Exam (Pass/Fail) – This recruitment may require a practical exam which will be job related and may include, but not be limited to, the qualifications outlined in the job announcement. Candidates deemed most qualified will be invited to participate in the remainder of the selection process.
Oral Interview – The interview will be job related and may include, but not be limited to, the qualifications outlined in the job announcement. Top candidate(s) will continue in the process.
Employment References will be conducted for the final candidates and may include verification of education.
It is the general policy of the County that new employees should be hired at the lower steps of the applicable range and advance through the range at the normal progression.
Examples of Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following;
- Coordinate the organization, staffing, and operational activities for the inspection of buildings and facilities including maintenance and construction.
- Select, train, motivate and evaluate building code personnel; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline and termination procedures.
- Direct, coordinate and review the work plan for building inspections and plan review; meet with staff to identify and resolve problems; assign work activities and projects; monitor work flow; review and evaluate work products, methods and procedures.
- Participate in the development and administration of the Building Code Administration section budget; forecast additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; direct the monitoring of and approve expenditures; recommend adjustments as necessary.
- Participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for building code administration; identify resource needs; recommend and implement policies and procedures.
- Prepare complaints for legal action against violators of the building code, related ordinances, laws and regulations; define enforcement process for civil or citation cases; determine validity of damage claims; may appear in court as requested.
- Coordinate building code administration activities with those of other divisions and outside agencies and organizations; provide staff assistance to the Public Services Director; prepare and present staff reports and other necessary correspondence.
- Attend and participate in professional group meetings; stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of building code administration.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
$9,114.00 – $12,760.00- per month
For complete job announcement, application requirements, and to apply on-line (applications on external sites are not monitored), please visit our website at:
104 total views, 0 today