Full-Time Assistant Professor of English Education (Tenure Track, F0071A1)
The English Department at Old Dominion University invites applicants for an Assistant Professor of English Education beginning in Fall 2024. This is a 10-month appointment with expectations for collaboration with Old Dominion University’s Darden College of Education & Professional Studies.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Engaging in research and scholarship that explores the teaching of English.
- Teaching undergraduate and graduate English courses, English methods courses, and research methods courses, using face-to-face and online delivery methods.
- Serving on master’s and doctoral student committees.
- Collaborating on the design and coordination of an undergraduate and graduate English teacher education program.
- Developing and sustaining literacy initiatives through school and community partnerships.
- Participating in departmental, college and university service, as well as contributing to disciplinary professional communities.
The successful candidate will primarily teach courses in their areas of expertise, but may be called on to teach courses that satisfy the university’s general education requirements as needed. We are particularly interested in hearing from candidates who specialize in the teaching of literature, the teaching of readers, young adult literature and/or critical media literacy. Moreover, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates with a commitment to justice-oriented approaches to English education.
- An earned Ph. or Ed.D. in English Education or closely related field by July 24, 2024.
- A research/publishing agenda focused on the teaching of English.
- Demonstrated preparedness to teach undergraduate or graduate English courses, English Methods courses, or Research Methods courses.
- Secondary teaching experience in English language arts
- Postsecondary teaching experience in English language arts methods and/or English
How to ApplyInterested candidates should submit the following to the University’s online job application system at https://jobs.odu.edu/postings/19659:
- A cover letter that highlights a research agenda and preparation to teach English, English methods and research methods courses.
- A 1-2 page statement that provides concrete examples that demonstrate how the applicant works toward equity, access, and justice in their teaching and research. The committee hopes to learn from this statement how the applicant would support and would work with diverse learners and communities, as both an educator and researcher.
- A curriculum vitae.
- Unofficial graduate transcripts.
- Contact information for 3 references. If your application progresses in the search, the application site will request confidential recommendation letters from these individuals.
142 total views, 0 today