Full-Time Assignment Desk Editor- REQ- 28079
Nexstar Media Inc. has an immediate opening for an experienced Assignment Editor who loves the chase of breaking news in one of the nation’s most competitive markets. This role will be part of a newly formed duopoly in Washington, DC DMA #8 for WDVM, WDCW (CW) and our digital assets in the market. The successful candidate must have a proven track record of aggressively pursuing breaking news stories while equally capable of networking and enterprising original news content.
Washington, DC is the center for the nation’s politics, but there’s so much more to the region. The city hosts some of the most prestigious museums in the country from the Smithsonian to the National Museum of African American History and Culture to the National Archives. You will find theaters with year-round performances with live shows and concerts, street festivals and farmer’s markets and more. The region is home to pro-sports including basketball, baseball, hockey, football and soccer. Plus, the food scene is robust with at least twenty restaurants receiving Michelin stars in 2021 alone. It’s a great place to live and a great place to rally the newsroom and chase the biggest stories of the day.
• Identify news of day and continually chase breaking news stories and developments in stories throughout the shift
• Assign reporters, photographers, and producers
• Communicate story developments with station producers and digital teams
• Respond quickly to breaking news
• Coordinate logistics for all field crews and ensure resources are in place to execute coverage
Draft plans for coverage of major events
• Utilize various file sharing platforms to gather video
• Find compelling user generated stories and seek authorizations to use by using proper language for user generated content
• Follow and communicate Rights and Clearances restrictions
The successful candidate will be a smart, fast researcher and will be able to track down information and officials on big news stories as they break. This person should be organized, quick thinking and aggressive to respond to breaking news in a 24/7 environment. The candidate should have an undergraduate college degree in communications, journalism or related field, and possess a strong knowledge of the national news scene. A minimum of three years of newsroom experience is a must. The candidate must also have the ability to handle a busy, fast-paced environment, fielding many phone calls and requests from reporters, crews, and producers.
Minimum 2 years of experience in a TV or digital newsroom environment
Experience handling breaking news
Ability to understand, sort through and solve logistical challenges
A 4-year degree in communications, journalism or related field
Ability to work a varied schedule in a 24/7 news environment
How to ApplyApply online at: https://nexstar.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/nexstar REQ- 28079
160 total views, 0 today