Full-Time Adjunct Faculty Philosophy Public Health
Adjunct Faculty Philosophy Public Health
Lake Washington Institute of Technology
Salary: See Position Description
Job Type: Adjunct
Job Number: AdjProfPhilPub
Location: Kirkland, WA
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
***This position teaches PHIL 301 Public Health Ethics for the college’s Bachelor of Applied Science in Public Health program. The class is offered in spring quarter of every year and typically meets both on-campus and online (hyflex). The professor must be available to come to campus and teach once per week.***
Located just outside of Seattle, WA, Lake Washington Institute of Technology (LWTech) was founded in 1949, and is the only public institute of technology in Washington State, that provides students with the latest cutting edge skills relevant to today’s workplace. LWTech offers 10 applied bachelor’s degrees, more than 40 associate degrees and 93 professional certificates, in 43 areas of study, including STEM-focused programs in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math. LWTech serves the Eastside and is located within the city of Kirkland, which is situated on the eastern shore of Lake Washington. Kirkland is home to companies such as GoDaddy, Google, Astronics and EvergreenHealth, and the college is within minutes from Microsoft and Nintendo.https://www.lwtech.edu/about/our-story/mission/LWTech is committed to increasing its cultural diversity with an emphasis on equity and inclusion among its staff and faculty. We serve a student population of 6,500 that come from a variety of backgrounds. We strongly value diversity and are working to improve access and successful educational outcomes for all students. We are actively seeking applicants that will help to balance our employee workforce to align with our students and community. Questions regarding the College’s commitment to diversity and our campus culture may be directed to Human Resources. For more information on our Equity, Diversity, Inclusion Council, please click on the https://www.lwtech.edu/about/diversity/edi-council/.
The college is seeking a qualified adjunct professor of PHIL 301 Public Health Ethics. The course outline is included below.
PHIL 301 Public Health Ethics, 5 credits
This course focuses on ethical issues in public health and health care policy. This includes health care rights, resource allocation issues, individual autonomy versus population health promotion, privacy and human subjects’ protection in public health data and research, and the use of summary measures to drive policy.
Prerequisites: Admission to the BASPH program
Upon successful completion of this course students will be able to:
• Describe the core ethical commitments of public health
• Recognize the moral values at stake in a variety of public health issues
• Effectively debate the pros and cons of different ethical approaches for selected public health issues
• Research and develop an ethical position regarding specific topics
• Develop a morally sound strategy for resolving conflicts between competing values
This course teaches to the following program outcome:
• Investigate concepts in public health ethics and healthcare leadership and management, including the right to health care, public health research/bioethics, social justice, economic impacts, conflict between autonomy and health promotion strategies, and public health theory and practice
Total Hours: 50 Theory (Lecture) Hours: 50
• Teach with a focus on the approved course learning outcomes
• Plan and develop a variety of instruction objectives and experiences appropriate to the program goals
• Design learning experiences for the unique characteristics of individual students through classes and feedback on student work
• Identify individual learning needs of students and make appropriate adjustments
• Develop and teach lessons which foster and support equitable student learning and cultural diversity
• Teach productive and constructive study skills to students
• Maintain appropriate records which indicate student progress and meet college requirements
• Post the class syllabus using LWTech’s syllabus template, and post grades for student assignments via the online course system (Canvas)
• Masters degree in Philosophy or Ethics or a closely related field
• Experience training or teaching required; college teaching experience preferred
• Previous experience with an online course system (e.g., Canvas, Blackboard, Sakai, Moodle) preferred
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Must have sensitivity and ability to successfully interact with diverse populations
CompensationPlacement on the faculty salary schedule is based on an individual assessment of education and experience. The salary for part time faculty contracts shall be based upon the number of credits assigned the faculty member, the type of class taught, and the rates contained in the part time faculty salary schedule currently in effect and labeled Appendix B.
Step A ranges from $735.47 – $2,026.41Step B ranges from $774.00 – $2,322.00Step C ranges from $789.87 – $2,369.58Step D ranges from $844.26 – $2,532.78Step E ranges from $865.79 – $2,712.96
BenefitsOnce part-time faculty have worked 50% full-time or more for two consecutive quarters(with LWTech or combined with other community/technical colleges), Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Disability and other insurance benefits are provided as currently administered under Public Employees Benefits Board, State Retirement Plan and a Deferred Compensation Plan; sick leave accrues at 1 day (Prorated based on % of FTE) effective upon employment. Employees have access to bereavement leave, employee assistance program, free tuition ( 50% of FT or more for two consecutive quarters), reduced child care costs at our Early Learning Center, reduced Bus Fare, professional development opportunities and more! For further details on the benefits offered at LWTech, please visit: https://www.lwtech.edu/about/human-resources/benefits/ CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
• Official transcripts/certifications will be required upon employment
• Other conditions that may apply will be detailed upon the offer of employment
• Job offers are contingent upon successful completion of background/reference checks
ELIGIBILITY VERIFICATIONIf you are hired, you will need proof of identity, and documentation of U.S. citizenship or legal Authorization to work.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION STATEMENT
Lake Washington Institute of Technology is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, creed, disabled veteran status, marital status or Vietnam-era veteran status in its programs and activities. Questions regarding the College’s Affirmative Action Policy may be directed to the Meena Park, Vice President of Human Resources, Affirmative Action Office/Title IX Coordinator, (425) 739-8212.
Jeanne Clery Statement: Notice of Availability of Annual Security and Fire Safety Report:
In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act of 1998, and as a part of the College’s commitment to safety and security on campus, Lake Washington Institute of Technology(LWTech) reports the mandated information about current campus policies concerning safety and security issues, the required statistics, and other related information for the past three (3) calendar years. LWTech’s Annual Safety Report (ASR) is available online at https://www.lwtech.edu/about/campus-safety/.
To obtain a paper copy of the report, please visit the LWTech Safety Department located in the East Building at 11605 132nd Avenue NE Kirkland, WA 98034.Pursuant to RCW 28B.112.080, applicants must declare whether they are the subject of any substantiated findings of sexual misconduct in any current or former employment or is currently being investigated for, or have left a position during an investigation into, a violation of any sexual misconduct policy at the applicant’s current or past employers. By law, post-secondary education institutions cannot hire an applicant who does not complete this form.
CORRECTIONS OR EXTENDED NOTICES
To apply, please visit https://apptrkr.com/4936522
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
How to ApplyTo apply, please visit https://apptrkr.com/4936522
91 total views, 0 today