Temporary 2024 Summer Student Program
2024 Summer Student Program
Program Length: May 6, 2024 – August 30, 2024
Salary: $16.78/ hour
Work mode: Onsite and Hybrid work modes (vary based on position)
Hours of work: 8:30am-4:30pm; Monday-Friday. Note: some Operational Support roles require evening/weekend hours.
As a Peel Summer Student, you’ll have a safe workplace where you can be your best self. We’ll welcome and support you, and your work will keep you energized and engaged. Get to know the world of government, you never know where it could take you! Check out Frank’s Story:
You’ll have many opportunities to:
- Gain valuable work experience
- Contribute to the community
- Share your innovative ideas
- Build and learn new skill-sets
- Engage with leaders and peers
Summer Student work term and pay
As a Summer Student, you’ll receive:
- A competitive hourly rate
- A steady income from May 6 to August 30, 2024
- Paid every other week
- Vacation pay
- Option to participate in OMERS
These timelines are approximate.
- Jan 31, 2024 – Posting expires
- February 2024 – Screening and interviewing (returning students do not need an interview.)
- March/April 2024 – Offers and packages will be emailed
- May 6, 2024 – First day of work
- August 30, 2024 – Last day of work
We have two work opportunities for you to choose from – Business Support and Operational Support.
For detailed information on the various teams and functions at the Region of Peel, refer to our department overview.
1. Business Support
Here’s some examples of tasks you may expect in a Business Support role:
- Interact with internal departments, and external stakeholders
- Job shadow staff to learn more about your career goals
- Help manage general phone lines and action requests or direct calls
- Call clients on behalf of colleagues, scheduling of appointments
- Write correspondence to external agencies, clients or vendors
- Work with colleagues on day-to-day tasks and special projects
- There may be specialized positions available in Public Works, relating to civil engineering and environmental sciences
2. Operational Support
Here’s some examples of tasks you may expect in an Operational Support role:
- Process payments
- Greet customers, provide excellent service
- Work at various centres across the Region including community recycling centres, road operations, and TransHelp
- Maintain and clean heavy equipment, light vehicles, and garbage compactor equipment
- Provide traffic control
- Help with landscaping, mowing, gardening, painting and litter pickup
- Load and unload supplies and equipment
Qualifications and requirements
The following criteria is required to be a summer student at Peel Region.
- You must be a full-time student enrolled in post-secondary program or entering full-time post-secondary studies in September 2024
- Be available to work from May 6 to August 30, 2024
- Be familiar with MS Office
- Be customer-service focused
- Have strong verbal and written communication skills
- Have excellent organizational and time management skills
For some roles:
- A valid “G” Drivers license in good standing may be required
- Safety boots may be required
- Previous office, labour, or volunteer experience is an asset
- Experience in using manual and power tools equipment is an asset
How to apply
- Create a profile and apply for this job online
- Be sure to respond to every question
After you’ve applied
- Once you’ve successfully submitted your application, you’ll receive an email confirmation
- You’ll receive future email notifications as hiring decisions are made. Since all correspondence will take place by email, be sure your email address is correct
- Some messages may be flagged as spam, so frequently check your inbox and junk folder for emails from us
- We can’t guarantee positions, but we’ll do our best to match you with a role you prefer
- Business Support roles may work onsite, remotely or hybrid, determined upon business requirements. The frequency of on-site activities may vary on a weekly basis and based on operational requirements. All remote work locations must be located within the province of Ontario.
- Operational support roles work onsite, you may report at various sites across the Region of Peel.
Hours: 8:30am-4:30pm; Monday-Friday. Note: some Operational Support roles require evening/weekend hours.
Interview: Our recruitment process will be completed with video conference technology.
Kindly ensure to regularly monitor your spam and junk email folders, as important communications regarding your application may be directed there.
If this opportunity matches your qualifications and experience, please apply on-line.
As part of the Region’s ongoing commitment to health and safety, there are enhanced COVID-19 specific safety protocols and/or personal protective equipment requirements (e.g. masks, eye protection, etc.) in place to help protect health and safety. The additional requirements are determined based on the nature of the work being carried out.
How to ApplyRegion of Peel - Careers - 2024 Summer Student Program in Ontario | Careers at CA-ON Brampton, Caledon, Mississauga (icims.com)
288 total views, 0 today