Full-Time 1872 Exhibit Designer
JOB TITLE: Exhibit Designer
LOCATION: History Center – 345 W Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55102
COMPENSATION: $55,702.40 annual minimum
STATUS & HOURS: Full-time, regular (approximately 2,080 annual hours) position.
BENEFITS: Eligible to participate in State Employee Group Insurance Program and a retirement program with employer contribution. Generous vacation and sick time accruals with additional paid holidays.
DESIGNATION: Bargaining Unit AFSCME Local 3173
POSTING DATE: February 8, 2024
DEADLINE DATE: Open Until Filled
TO APPLY: Interested applicants must apply online at the Minnesota Historical Society’s career center at www.mnhs.org/jobs and include a resume and cover letter by the application deadline date.
DESCRIPTION: This position exists to create three-dimensional designs for engaging and interactive core, temporary, and traveling exhibits at the Minnesota History Center and at regional Sites located throughout the state. The Exhibit Designer provides creative and technical services, including design leadership, floorplans, sketches, elevations, case layouts, technical and construction drawings and specifications, and other documentation for MNHS exhibit design, production, installation and maintenance. This person is part of a core team that creates innovative, attractive, and accessible exhibits in support of the Minnesota Historical Society’s mission of using the power of history to transform lives for a diverse audience.
SUMMARY OF WORK: 1) Work independently and as part of exhibit development teams to develop design solutions that shape visitors’ experience for the Minnesota History Center, MNHS Sites, and MNHS traveling exhibits from initial concept phase through remediation; 2) Collaborate with exhibit developers on exhibit themes, outlines, and interpretive goals. Analyze and understand exhibit content, including key messages, and recommend methods, materials, and techniques for the presentation of objects and interpretation; 3) Translate ideas and interpretive concepts into floor plans, schematic diagrams, sketches, and/or 3D models to help the team visualize possibilities and options, and for use in fundraising and marketing efforts; 4) Prepare all specifications and documentation necessary to produce a project including detailed design drawings; and 5) Participate in maintaining the integrity of the exhibit concept and experience through design during the production process. Collaborate with project managers to ensure accurate transference and understanding of exhibit content. Monitor quality control of the fabrication process in collaboration with the Production Unit.
- Bachelor’s degree or Bachelor of Fine Arts degree and/or certificate in Design (Exhibition, Graphic, Industrial, Interior) or Architecture or equivalent experience.
- Five years program experience in a design-related field or equivalent.
- Proven experience in collaborative design with demonstrated active involvement in projects
from conception through production.
- Knowledge of exhibit design methodology and visual communication techniques including skills in interpersonal communication, three-dimensional, technical, and graphic design, drafting, modeling, and aesthetics.
- Deep knowledge of computer-aided design programs; proficiency in Vectorworks (preferred) and/or AutoCAD.
- Demonstrated ability to participate in the development of thematic structures for interpretive projects, and to conceptualize ways to communicate thematic structures to a general audience.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others: listen well, give feedback, and be flexible in providing design solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to compile and synthesize verbal, written, and visual information into dimensional environments that incorporate a variety of interpretive methods and techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to work quickly and efficiently to create visualizations of ideas in the form of sketches, renderings, or models during all phases of design from concept through revision.
- Demonstrated ability to create prototypes for testing with museum visitors during exhibit development.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with a range of individuals and groups.
- Demonstrated ability to provide design solutions based in knowledge of architectural and exhibit fabrication and production techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to handle several projects on discrete timetables efficiently and simultaneously. Proven ability to meet deadlines and adapt to changing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to write clear and accurate specifications.
- Must be willing and able to travel independently throughout the state.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Demonstrated ability to prepare clear and accurate schedules and budgets.
- Understanding of how to enhance the experience of museum visitors.
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate vendor proposals and workmanship.
- Knowledge of graphic and photographic production techniques.
- Knowledge of conservation guidelines and proper handling of artifacts.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and oversee the work of others as part of a team process to plan and realize complex projects.
- Up-to-date knowledge of new methods and new technology in design generally and exhibits design specifically.
- Up-to-date knowledge of methods and technology for traveling exhibit design and function.
Should you have questions with the application process, email hu************@mn**.org.
At MNHS, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on diversity for the benefit of our employees, our products and services, and our community. The Minnesota Historical Society believes that an inclusive culture among our team members is critical to our success as a historical society and museum, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Minnesota Historical Society is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and employer.
How to ApplyInterested applicants must apply online at the Minnesota Historical Society’s career center at www.mnhs.org/jobs and include a resume and cover letter by the application deadline date.
52 total views, 0 today