Executive DirectorInternational Film Seminars, (The Flaherty – Posted by Ariella
THE FLAHERTY/INTERNATIONAL FILM SEMINARS, INC. EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR Location: Brooklyn, NY (Due to COVID-19-related public health requirements the position is a combination of remote and in person at this time. The Flaherty will continue to follow CDC and NY State guidelines.) FLSA Status: Full-time, Exempt Reports to: Board of Trustees ABOUT THE FLAHERTY The Flaherty (International Film Seminars, Inc., New York, NY) is a small non-profit organization dedicated to fostering community around the moving image. The organization's central event is the annual Flaherty Seminar, which brings together artists, media professionals and lovers of film for a week of screenings and immersive conversation about the state of non-fiction filmmaking and the visual arts in dialogue with documentary. Founded in 1955 and named after filmmaker Robert Flaherty, the Flaherty Seminar is the longest continuously-running film event in North America. It has introduced audiences to the works of hundreds of influential filmmakers, including D.A. Pennebaker, Agnès Varda, Satyajit Ray, Cauleen Smith, Bruce Baillie, Natalia Almada, Paul Chan, Charles Burnett, Lisandro Alonso, and Sarah Maldoror. Today, the Flaherty also organizes Flaherty NYC, a curated film series in New York (now in its twelfth year), as well as screenings and partnerships around the world. ABOUT OUR VALUES The Flaherty has a long-standing commitment to engaging critically with the ethics and aesthetics of nonfiction filmmaking in the widest sense. It creates and nurtures spaces that debate authorship, representation, inclusion, consent, access and accountability. We aim to democratize the seminar space and invite robust discussion amongst a range of people giving particular space to formerly underrepresented communities. The Flaherty is propelled by a desire to upend entrenched norms and unequal power dynamics. We champion new models of nonfiction filmmaking, curating, and theorizing. In recent years the Flaherty has made strides to further diversify its programming and audiences, becoming synonymous with transformative curating and community. The Flaherty has a range of new programs and initiatives in the pipeline including: community events, a podcast series, a book publication, and major archival expansion. We seek an Executive Director who has a passion for media and arts organizations, possesses management and operational excellence, and is grounded in equity, diversity, and inclusion. ABOUT THE POSITION The Flaherty seeks an Executive Director to lead its New York office. Working closely with the Board of Trustees and Program Managers, the Executive Director will co-create the vision of the organization, focusing specific attention to an expanded digital presence. They will raise operating funds, oversee financial management and programs, and manage staff. The Executive Director position requires a unique skill set combining organizational and program development, relationship and coalition building, systems and personnel management, and fundraising and stakeholder cultivation to effectively develop and manage the annual Seminar and related activities. FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES Fundraising and Financial Management
- Increase, diversify, and secure resources for Flaherty; support and oversee the organization’s financial health and growth, which includes financial planning.
- Devise new financial advancement strategies and execute them with support from the Board. ● Establish and cultivate relationships with current and potential Flaherty donors and supporters.
- Direct financial decision-making and oversee fiscal management of the organization, including overseeing the annual budget and audit.
- Cultivate a strong working partnership with the Board and leverage trustees’ skills and relationships to increase the capacity of the organization to meet organizational, financial, and programmatic goals.
- Represent the organization, in conjunction with the Board President, at all media and public events.
- Create and develop opportunities to raise the profile of the organization.
- Bring a compelling and credible voice to the public conversation about film and community engagement.
- Actively promote organization to the public.
- Oversee the maintenance and improvement of IFS website and other online assets.
- Provide strategic vision and leadership for Flaherty to formulate and implement its organizational goals.
- Work closely with the Board of Trustees to lead and oversee short- and long-term organizational vision and goals in pursuit of Flaherty’s mission.
- Ensure equity values and initiatives inform and influence the organization’s work.
- Flaherty Archives and Preservation: maintaining and updating permanent records/archives of IFS' history, including organizing and overseeing a full Assessment of Flaherty Archives and a move of pertinent assets to Fine Art Storage.
- Flaherty Farm acquisition: cultivate and maintain contact with Flaherty’s descendants and with relevant individuals in relation to the acquisition of the Flaherty farm. Additionally, the Executive Director will manage the current two year-round staff members and part-time and seasonal staff who are responsible for day-to-day management and operations of core program activities. In 2021 this includes, but is not limited to: Flaherty 2021 Seminar, publication and podcast projects, and traveling Flaherty programs.
- Minimum 5 years experience in nonprofit management and leadership, or equivalent
- Proven track record in fundraising and grant writing
- Experience in film/media program development (or related fields)
- Staff and program management experience
- Excellent time-management skills
- Superior writing and communication skills
- Experience with virtual platforms, design and social media is a plus
- Experience and/or strong interest in archival preservation is a plus
- Medical insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Paid time off
- A one-page cover letter that shares why you are interested in the position and what you would bring to the role
- A CV
- Salary requirement
- Names and contact information for two professional references
Location: BrooklynNew York, United States
- BrooklynNew York, United States
- Date Posted
- 23 Feb 2021
Communications Consultant 2 (Digital Marketing Specialist)Clark College – Posted by email@example.com
- VancouverWashington, United States
- Date Posted
- 27 Jun 2019
Fetching Careerjet Job Listings
Fetching Indeed Job Listings