Full-Time Youth Services Supervisor
Who we are
Friends of Ruby is a registered charity dedicated to the progressive well-being of LGBTQI2S youth through housing and social services. A trusted source of counselling and tangible solutions such as crisis intervention, warm meals, and housing support. We offer multiple programs and support groups, including dedicated spaces for Black, Indigenous, People of Color, and Trans youth. Since 2014, Friends of Ruby’s front line workers have met with and supported over 900 youth, averting almost 500 mental health crises.
Friends of Ruby is a welcoming space for LGBTQI2S youth. We believe that every person is a gem – perfectly unique and precious – and we go above and beyond to ensure that the youth who come to our doors feel embraced, accepted, and empowered with the social and wellness tools they need to thrive.
This is a mission that is a genuine part of who we are as individuals and as an organization. If you are a member of the LGBTQI2S community or an active ally for equality, diversity, and the needs of our community’s youth, please consider joining us as a Youth Services Supervisor.
In order to support our many initiatives at Friends of Ruby, we are expanding our teams and seeking a Youth Services Supervisor to play an active role in supporting our mission. We need someone who will successfully handle the coordination of our support services to youth and the supervision of programming staff at the Youth Services Centre. This role will act as a key point of contact for the direct service team, community partners, and the youth in regard to program implementation and development. We need an ally of the community who is compelled to support our youth through continued efforts and initiatives and offering compassionate support. This is a brand new role and an exciting opportunity for someone who is looking to forge their own path and establish processes every single day.
Who you are
You are detail-oriented, compassionate, and understand how you will need to work effectively with our youth and other internal and external stakeholders. You are a great communicator with the ability to address service inquiries, handle requests and/or complaints in a timely manner, and can apply verbal de-escalation and crisis prevention techniques in order to defuse potentially challenging and volatile situations. You also have previous supervisory experience and are someone who can help structure the role and build proper procedures. You have experience developing programming with partner agencies and other organizations. You have a diverse way of thinking, and personally understand the issues, hardships, and challenges that youth in the LGBTQI2S and BIPOC communities are facing.
What’s in it for you
Impact and fulfillment. Your role will be actively ensuring the safe, secure, and well-coordinated operations of much-needed support programs for LGBTQI2S youth. This is a life-altering offering for the youth, and you will be making a real impact. You are playing a vital role in the success of this program.
Challenges and rewards. You will step up to the demands of managing staff and programs while ensuring the safety, well-being, and needs of our youth are anticipated and met. You will help with procedures, how the staff is engaging with the youth, and ensure any issues are escalated and addressed quickly.
How you will make a difference
Support staff and youth. You will have regular drop-in meetings and one-on-one check-ins with the entire staff ensuring that they are meeting their targets and their own professional goals. You will support the Director with recruitment, orientation, training, and evaluation of staff; and in determining appropriate staffing requirements for programs and services. You will also act as a coach, mentor, and supportive confidant to the staff, meeting participants, and all of our youth.
Manage staff. You will be in charge of the entire supervisory cycle, including performance management, regular check-ins with staff, assigning tasks, and ensuring timelines are met. You will be coordinating the schedule for drop-in staff, ensuring an even distribution of hours in accordance with their full/part-time or relief status. You will track availability, payroll data, scheduled shifts, and find last-minute coverage where needed. You will also manage and supervise the staff while they are in the Drop-In ensuring things are organized and running smoothly while fostering a positive, healthy, and safe work environment.
Coordinate and support programming. You will oversee the planning and implementation of services and activities in the Drop-In, evaluate the deliverables and outcomes of the programs, and report to Leadership with recommendations for improvements. You will also coordinate with the Housing Manager for programming between the Drop-In and the House and, on occasion, work weekends and be on a crisis line rotation. You will coordinate, monitor, and assess day to day activities at the Drop-in Centre, overseeing the delivery and logistics of programs. You will attend Community Partner information sessions and share takeaways with the team to ensure up-to-date best practices for drop-in service implementation. You will liaise with partner agencies in the planning, development, and implementation of programming activities and coordinate volunteers’ events, including outreach and appreciation, and liaise with colleges and universities to implement student placements and provide support to the drop in staff that is supervising students.
Administrative support. You will need to handle administrative tasks such as:
- Management of clinical software program
- Management of direct services mailboxes
- Manage the annual department budget and process all vendor invoices related to front line services
- Assist with operational research and reports upon request from the Management Team
- Contribute as needed to Friends of Ruby’s internal and external communications, including but not limited to newsletter and ad hoc data report that can be generated through the clinical software data management;
What you bring to the team
- The education and experience. You have a college or university degree in a relevant field or discipline (public administration, social services) and/or comparable work experience, and at least 2-3 years’ supervisory experience in social services, and in doing performance management.
- Organizational and multitasking skills. You have strong organizational skills, great time management, and strong attention to detail. You also have the ability to multi-task and are able to prioritize and work well under pressure.
- Technical skills. You have excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment. Must include Excel and demonstrated skills in database management.
- Team player attitude. You can work as part of a team or independently and under minimal supervision. You also have excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills, and a willingness to offer support to anyone who needs it.
- Passion and compassion. You have an understanding of substance use, mental health, and harm reduction gained through direct experience working with individuals, preferably youth. You have previous experience working directly with LGBTQI2S marginalized populations and with employing community development, harm reduction, or recovery approaches to service development and delivery.
- Additional requirements. You have satisfactory clearance under the Vulnerable Sector Police Check Program. You must be eligible to legally work in Canada. You are willing to work at a flexible schedule to accommodate the needs of the organization, working evenings, and on weekends as required. You need to be flexible and prepared to offer support at all hours through a rotative on-call crisis line. You also have the ability to travel to other community-based settings as needed.
How to ApplyPlease, apply here with your resume: https://bit.ly/3iLfsNu Who is Ruby? Ruby is a golden retriever, but she is not just any dog. She is a beloved friend and an empathetic listener. If she could, Ruby would tell you about the pain and angst the youth who visit her feel; how sometimes all it takes is a comforting paw and unbounded love to brighten their lives. Ruby would tell you that sometimes, it takes so much more than what she feels she can offer - real crisis intervention, mental health support, tokens for transit, and counselling. That’s why Ruby has surrounded herself with a team of incredible people to help her friends. Our Front Line and in-office teams are made up of individuals who are truly dedicated to what we do, excited to be part of our restructuring and growth, and eager to see the impact of our work and the services we provide every day. Are you ready to make an impact with us? We foster an atmosphere of diversity, belonging, and compassion for others. We come together for staff meetings (remote or in-person), collaborate and support the ideas of others, and provide access to advancement opportunities within our existing and new groups and projects. We are committed to ensuring that members of traditionally marginalized groups, from a broad range of communities, feel empowered to apply for positions within the organization. We recognize that a diverse workforce and volunteer base are critical to accomplishing our mission, and encourage anyone who feels they meet at least 70% of the qualifications listed, to apply. We promise to consider your full potential and application. Statement on Employment Equity and Diversity Friends of Ruby is dedicated to taking proactive steps to overcome historical patterns of discrimination in our society which have created barriers of race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, language, class, sexual orientation, and gender identity or expression for some individuals and have resulted in the denial of their full participation in society Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. If you require an accommodation (including alternate format materials, accessible meeting rooms or other accommodation), please let us know, and we will work with you to meet your needs.
54 total views, 1 today