Full-Time VP of Jewish Community Impact
At Third Plateau, we know the power of diverse teams. To this end, we seek to reach a broad and diverse pool of applicants for each role to ensure our final candidates are not a homogenous group in terms of demographics or experience and have designed our application process (detailed at the bottom) in a way that recognizes and decreases our own implicit and explicit biases. You can read more about our commitment and ongoing work related to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) here. We welcome, encourage, and recruit applicants of all backgrounds to apply.
Third Plateau is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to their race, color, age, religious creed, sexual orientation, or other personal characteristics.
NOW HIRING: VICE PRESIDENT of JEWISH COMMUNITY IMPACT
Position Overview: Third Plateau, a growing multi-disciplinary social impact firm, is looking for an experienced, entrepreneurial social sector professional to serve as a Vice President to primarily serve our expanding and national base of clients in the Jewish communal world. This hire will join our Leadership Team to help steward and grow our firm, our client portfolio, and our impact. In addition to firmwide leadership responsibilities, the VP will lead client engagements, manage a small-but-growing team within the firm, oversee project workflow and quality, drive business development, and ensure deliverables are on-time, high-quality, and poised to help our clients drive meaningful social impact. Top candidates will have experience in project and staff management, be able to represent the Third Plateau brand to a wide range of clients, possess a deep understanding of the social sector and Jewish community, serve as a strong leader of diverse teams, and be able to think expansively about what our clients need and how Third Plateau can continue to grow to serve them. This position reports to one of the firm’s Principals and will have 1-4 direct reports.
Application Deadline: Rolling
Start Date: ASAP
Location: United States (any location)
Starting Salary: $120,000, with additional compensation through bonuses / profit sharing
Benefits: In addition to collaborating with an incredible team of social impact professionals, benefits include:
- Unlimited routine time off
- Platinum-level health insurance
- Dental and vision insurance
- 401k with employer matching
- Regular high fives (virtual during COVID)
- Professional development and curated team learning opportunities
- Wellness budget to be spent towards mental, emotional, and/or physical health
- Cell phone reimbursement
WHO WE ARE
Third Plateau is a multi-disciplinary social impact strategy firm with an aim to create a world with abundant and equitable opportunity for all. We partner with people and organizations with game-changing ideas to improve the world, and we help them maximize their impact. Our values are at the center of everything that we do:
We seek big challenges because we know those are the ones worth tackling. We bring our A-game and entrepreneurial mindset into everything we do, relentlessly pursuing excellence and refusing to accept the status quo. We take smart risks and push ourselves and those around us to think expansively.
We are intensely curious. We question everything. We experiment. We are voracious consumers of information from a variety of sources and disciplines because we understand that knowledge is absolutely essential for effective innovation. We are researchers, investigators, and explorers.
Relationships are at our core. Through empathy, we develop deep and authentic connections with those around us. We curate our networks with intention because when the right people are connected with the right ideas, great things are bound to happen.
LIVE IT UP
It’s not enough for us to change the world; we’re going to have a blast while we do it. If we’re not loving life while driving impact, we’re doing it wrong.
We work in five main ways:
Social Impact Strategy
We partner with social entrepreneurs, nonprofits, public entities, and other mission-driven organizations around the world on program design, business planning, community engagement, strategic planning, and development strategy. We also partner with funders to provide capacity-building support to their grantees.
We advise individual donors, foundations, and companies on making their philanthropic giving more meaningful, strategic, and impactful; and we help funders think more expansively about their potential social impact.
We help private, family, and independent foundations become more effective by providing back-office support, managing grants, and overseeing the financial administration and accounting of their operations.
Research & Evaluation
We support nonprofits to design meaningful metrics, conduct impact audits, and research and analyze market landscapes.
We empower individual leaders and teams to unlock their potential through executive coaching, team coaching, culture setting, and board development.
Third Plateau was founded in 2011 and is a dynamic and growing firm. We currently have 22 team members and are currently hiring for multiple positions; we anticipate being a team of 27 by mid-year. We have offices in Sacramento and the Bay Area, and remote employees in Florida and New England.
While this VP’s work will focus primarily on our clients in the Jewish community, the majority of Third Plateau’s work is outside of the Jewish community. Our projects focus on a wide range of social issues, including but not limited to: poverty alleviation, education, health and wellness, racial and gender justice, climate change, international development, civic engagement, and Indigenous rights. Our work in the Jewish community focuses on bringing new, creative, and innovative approaches and best-in-class facilitation and strategic thinking to the Jewish communal sector.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Your work will focus on three key efforts:
Client Work (65%) – The VP will lead client engagements for our Jewish community clients, oversee and manage project workflow, design and facilitate retreats, play point on client communications and relationships, and ensure deliverables are on-time, high-quality, and poised to help our clients drive true social impact. Potential projects include, but are not limited to:
- Facilitating strategic plans for impact-focused, Jewish communal organizations;
- Designing and facilitating convenings for leaders in the Jewish community;
- Training Boards of Directors of Jewish organizations to help them identify and implement best board practices;
- Supporting our Research Team to execute quantitative and qualitative evaluations of Jewish nonprofits or foundations; and
- Providing general guidance to senior leadership of Jewish institutions and organizations.
Business Development & Network Management (25%) – The VP will be responsible for generating new client prospects, securing new and repeat clients, and building Third Plateau’s brand and network in the Jewish community. The VP will serve as one of the faces of Third Plateau within the Jewish community and regularly engage with nonprofit and foundation leadership domestically and around the world.
Firm Leadership (10%) – The VP will join Third Plateau’s Leadership Team, which oversees the firm and shapes its internal strategy. The Leadership Team identifies business and impact opportunities, navigates firm-wide challenges, and works to ensure the full team is effective and thriving. The VP will directly oversee the management and growth of a subset of the Third Plateau team that focuses exclusively on work within the Jewish community. Currently, that subset consists of one full-time Director and portions of other team members’ time, though we anticipate this subset growing as the VP is able to make headway on new business development.
In executing on the above three aspects of the job, we expect the VP to do the following:
The VP will solve problems. Our clients turn to us when they have complex problems that they don’t know how to solve. We are frequently asked to devise innovative strategies for our clients to scale, launch new programs, develop revenue streams, and engage their communities. Among other things, our work often requires analyzing markets, researching best practices, building financial models, and creating new programs. We are creative problem solvers and will expect you to be the same.
The VP will think critically and expansively. We don’t know everything, and we know you don’t know everything. In fact, we often find that it is helpful when we don’t have a lot of background about an organization, policy issue, or market, as it gives us a fresh perspective on our clients’ concerns, needs, and opportunities. This position requires an eagerness to learn, an open mind, good listening skills, intense curiosity, a knack for research, and an ability to ask the right questions.
The VP will synthesize and communicate effectively. The VP will be charged with synthesizing large amounts of qualitative and quantitative data and communicating the key findings and recommendations through written reports and engaging presentations to our clients. We expect you to be a crisp writer and a clear presenter, able to produce client-ready work with little-to-no editorial oversight.
The VP will build. Third Plateau is in the business of building and leveraging relationships to better support our clients and strengthen the social sector as a whole. Externally, the VP will be expected to build a strong professional network; become a thought leader in the field; identify opportunities for collaboration between Third Plateau, clients and other individuals and organizations in the social sector; and support our clients beyond the limited parameters of an individual client engagement. Internally, the VP will be a valued team member; support Third Plateau’s short-term and long-term growth efforts; and help out wherever and whenever necessary.
WHO YOU ARE
To be successful in this job, you will excel in the following key areas:
You see the big picture and are able to create a plan, coordinate moving pieces, keep everyone focused on the task at hand, manage expectations throughout, and adapt when necessary.
You are an exceptionally clear communicator who can write and speak with confidence to a wide range of audiences.
You excel at managing a room and are able to identify and create the necessary environment to push key questions and enable diverse stakeholders to engage in an issue.
We don’t expect you to know everything, but we do expect you to be a quick and perceptive learner.
You have a knack for figuring things out and require minimal oversight to see a project through to the end.
Calmness under pressure
You thrive in a fast-paced work environment and can stay relaxed and focused when juggling many projects and deadlines, especially when they arise at the last minute.
You must be able to build trust and goodwill with clients and team members and demonstrate deep respect for their work. You’re the kind of person who knows how to get along well with others and anticipate their needs.
You are ambitious and creative, and you are excited about the idea of building something meaningful. You have a habit of thinking expansively and finding innovative opportunities in the face of challenges.
Other important things to note:
- You will need to bring an unwavering commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and a willingness to speak up when you see us fall short. This is a major focus of ours and we expect it to be of yours, too. Top candidates will firmly believe that diversity of experiences and voices leads to better outcomes, and they will have demonstrated a consistent commitment to this belief both personally and professionally.
- This work will require significant familiarity with Jewish religious and cultural practices and the institutional arrangements of Jewish communal life.
- We are a boutique agency that embraces a start-up attitude. Third Plateau is going to continue its significant growth over the coming years and we are looking for someone who wants to grow with us.
- You will need to bring an unwavering commitment to excellence, an ability to work in a fast-paced environment, a hunger for social justice, and an intense interest in having fun.
- Other qualities we are looking for include passion, confidence, leadership, curiosity, willingness and ability to travel (when we’re living in a post-pandemic world), and attention to detail.
- Areas of expertise that are not necessary, but would be valuable include public policy, fundraising, philanthropy, marketing, entrepreneurship, and product design.
- Fluency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) is a must.
- Being authorized to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment and Third Plateau will not sponsor applicants for work visas at this time.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application using the following form:
The form will require the following information:
- Your full name
- Your phone number (including area code)
- Your email address
- Your city and state
- Where you heard about this position
You will also be required to upload TWO separate documents:
- A one-page PDF that answers two questions (and one optional question):
- Why do this position and firm make sense for the next step in your career?
- How are you uniquely qualified to enhance the Third Plateau team and our impact-focused with and in the Jewish community?
- OPTIONAL: How will the different pieces of your identity contribute to this team and work? Please share as much detail as you feel comfortable sharing to help us create a team that represents a diverse set of identities.
Please save this PDF with the following title structure: VP –Cover Letter [seven-digit phone number with no dashes]. Your seven-digit phone number (i.e., your phone number WITHOUT the area code) will be used as an internal identification number, to help keep your application anonymous during the review process.
- Your resume with the following modifications:
- Your seven-digit phone number (i.e., your phone number WITHOUT the area code), with no dashes, in the place of your name.
- Remove any reference to your home address and email.
Please save this name-free PDF with the following title structure: VP – Resume [seven-digit phone number with no dashes]. Your seven-digit phone number (i.e., your phone number WITHOUT the area code) will be used as an internal identification number, to help keep your application anonymous during the review process.
We are working hard to build a blind review process that minimizes implicit and explicit bias from the hiring process, so welcome to the latest iteration of our experiment to do just that! Please note that if your application does not follow the specific directions outlined above, it is possible that it will not be considered.
FINAL REQUEST – OPTIONAL, ANONYMOUS, THIRD-PARTY DEMOGRAPHIC SURVEY
As part of our efforts to broaden and diversify our applicant pool, a third party is collecting optional, anonymous data from applicants. This data will be shared in the aggregate with Third Plateau leadership and will be used to help us learn about the ways in which our applicant pool is diverse and whether our efforts of recruiting diverse talent are paying off.
- This survey is anonymous – it will not ask for your name, email, or phone number at any point.
- This survey is optional – you are not required to share your information, and not doing so will have no impact on your candidacy for the position moving forward.
- This survey is run by a third party – HR to Go, a third-party HR consulting firm will be administering this survey on a platform outside of Third Plateau. HR to Go will only share aggregated results with any member of the Third Plateau team. At no time will individual-level data be shared.
To participate in the survey, click here. Thank you for helping us become more data-informed as a firm!
How to ApplyPlease see job description above. Thanks!
422 total views, 0 today