Part-Time Therapeutic Clown
Welcome to SickKids. We look forward to receiving your application for our Therapeutic Clown opportunity!
Don’t miss a great opportunity to join our award-wining organization. SickKids has been voted one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for the 7th year in a row. We’ve been recognized as a top employer for young people, a top family friendly employer, and a top employer in the GTA. Newsweek Magazine also ranked SickKids as the top paediatric health-care centre in the world for 2022!
The Therapeutic Clown is responsible for initiating and sustaining therapeutic relationships with children and families. Through child-directed play and humor, the Therapeutic Clown assists children and their families to minimize stress, as well as providing comfort and support. The Therapeutic Clown’s playful interactions are dedicated to empowering children and families to help them better cope with illness and hospitalization. The Therapeutic Clown works with Child Life Specialists and other Health Care Providers to develop patient-care plans and provide feedback to Health Care Teams.
Here’s What You’ll Love:
- A focus on employee wellness with our new Staff Health and Well-being Strategy. Self-care helps us support others.
- A hospital that welcomes and focuses on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion.
- The opportunity to make an impact. Regardless of your role or professional interest, you’ll be making a difference at SickKids and contributing to our vision of Healthier Children. A Better World.
Here’s What You’ll Get To Do
- Build a sense of well-being, hope and joy in all areas of the hospital
- Provide a variety of developmentally appropriate play experiences to: promote normalizing play interactions, minimize stress associated with hospitalization; empower patients and families by allowing them to direct play and make choices
- Initiate and maintain purposeful, trusting and sustaining therapeutic relationships
- Assess play interactions with patients to inform the nature of these relationships and encounters
- Work within a family centred model of care and collaborate with Child Life Specialists and members of the interprofessional team to develop patient-care plans
- When appropriate, engage patients and families in goal directed play
- Participate in the planning and delivery of Child Life TV shows and video
- Integrate Child and Family Centre care in the context of Equity Diversity and Inclusion
- Participate, as directed by Professional Practice Lead and Senior Clinical Manager, in activities that support the operations of the Creative Arts Therapy Program (e.g. clinical orientation of new staff, media or SickKids Foundation requests)
Here’s What You’ll Need
- High School Diploma required
- University degree or College diploma in a psychosocial, healthcare or performing arts field is preferred (can include, but is not limited to, Theatre, Psychology, Child and Youth Studies, Early Childhood Education, Recreation Therapy, Child Life)
- Professional training in performance arts, including but not limited to clown, theatre, movement, dance, circus arts, music, and improvisation
- Rich and varied experience working with children, preferably in a healthcare setting
- Interpersonal and communication skills that include sensitivity to diverse patient populations and their families,
- Ability to integrate into the health care team,
- Willingness to adapt to specific routines and protocols of individual care units,
- Excellent intuitive and listening skills,
- Excellent verbal and non-verbal communication skills,
- Ability to improvise and play within an ever-changing hospital environment, proven flexibility
0.6 FTE, 1 year contract with modified benefits; possibility of extension
Therapeutic Clown Introduction Video:
In addition to the online application to this job posting, applicants are to submit a 2–5 minute video introducing their clown. The video can be uploaded to One Drive or Google Drive, or any other similar app, and the link to the video should be included in the cover letter and/or resume.
- Introduce yourself in your chosen clown persona. This includes your name, a little bit about yourself, and 1 completed wardrobe look.
- Share by showing or telling us something your clown loves or loves to do. Show us how you would interact either with another person, or give life to an inanimate object.
- Tip: When choosing dress, toys, or props – do your best to be mindful of the hospital’s infection control and masking policies
Upon review of online application and video, a select number of applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Looking for more information?
On November 17 from 7-8pm, there will be an Information Session on Therapeutic Clowning at SickKids geared toward individuals curious to learn about Therapeutic Clowning as a profession. The session will include an overview of the role and responsibilities and details on working in a Children’s Hospital. There will be an opportunity to ask questions regarding the day-to-day work of a Therapeutic Clown at SickKids. The goal of the session is to ensure a greater understanding of the position in preparation for an upcoming job posting in the program. Please note: This job information session is intended for adults 18+.
Registration Link: https://teams.microsoft.com/registration/P1VhOX7060mfbM-FGJFOmg,OsFgHRJI7E6rQh8LVhFWww,8Zk7g4BDvEOWE7pxZjN40w,hZfyw6sQs02C5_0zJ89hPA,y3JyHtb8g0mPgzshkAC2qA,HtqTgaH9E0-n_w1V_IClyA?mode=read&tenantId=3961553f-f47e-49eb-9f6c-cf8518914e9a
How to ApplyTo apply, please visit The Hospital for Sick Children's (SickKids) website: https://career.sickkids.ca:8001/psc/CRPRD/CAREER/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=17630&PostingSeq=1
404 total views, 0 today