Full-Time Technical Director and Facilities Manager
From our home in Lower Manhattan, HERE builds an inclusive community that nurtures artists of all backgrounds as they disrupt conventional expectations to create innovative performances in theatre, dance, music, puppetry, media, and visual art. By providing these genre-blending artists with an adaptive, flexible home for developing and producing their work, we share a range of perspectives reflective of the complexity of our city. HERE welcomes curious audiences to witness groundbreaking performances, responsive to the world in which we live, at free and affordable prices.
HERE strives to create an equitable, diverse, and inclusive home in which all people have fair access to the resources they need to realize their visions. We acknowledge structural inequities that exclude individuals and communities from opportunities based on race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, class, age, and geography, and seek to counter those inequities in our work. Through mindful actions on sustainability and regenerative practices, we work toward climate justice, and a safe, livable planet for present and future artmakers and audiences.
HERE’s Production Department is seeking to fulfill the role of Technical Director and Facilities Manager starting in mid-August and reporting to the Production Manager. The TD & F Manager will work closely with freelance Production Managers and Technical Directors engaged by HERE and HERE’s tenants, and oversee production interns and cleaning staff.
TECHNICAL DIRECTOR RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Organizing, purchasing, repairing and maintaining technical systems, including lighting, video and sound equipment.
- In conjunction with Production Manager, works with HERE Artists and Visiting Artists, including SubletSeries tenants, to coordinate their technical needs in advance, ascertain and coordinate their rentals, track equipment inventory between and among all artists and spaces, liaise with the artists to ensure safe installment, operation and strike of our equipment during their load-ins, strikes, and all activities in the theatres, and act as liaison and point-person for their needs and problems while in the theatres.
- In conjunction with HERE’s Seasonal Production Manager, hires and manages production interns, communicating and overseeing their schedule and assigned duties.
- Assists in set-up and strike for HERE events, and as needed, may run lights, sound and/or video for specific HERE events;
- Conducts ongoing evaluations of Production Department systems, organization, policies and procedures with Production Manager, and maintains safety standards throughout HERE’s spaces.
FACILITIES MANAGER RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Overseeing, organizing, and providing maintenance for HERE’s Facility, and facility equipment which includes two theatres, public spaces, an art gallery, dressing rooms and office spaces.
- Works with Production Manager to install gallery video and sound installations, and prepares walls for each gallery show.
- Creates and updates ground plans for the spaces and equipment inventory lists, for use by incoming artists and designers.
- Liaises with the Fire Department and Department of Buildings as necessary for inspections of our spaces while ensuring compliance with fire safety, OSHA, and other regulations.
The successful candidate will have:
- Minimum 3 years experience operating and maintaining a variety of technical equipment, including experience with Vectorworks, QLab, and digital sound consoles (Yamaha) and ETC lighting boards
- Must have or be prepared to obtain the following certifications: F-3 (Fire Guard), S-95 (Supervision of Fire Alarm Systems) and C-15 (Flame Retardant Treatment).
- Strong understanding of the theatrical production process
- Self-starter, organized, disciplined and highly detail-oriented;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work both individually and as part of a team;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Must be able to quickly adapt to a changing environment, reprioritizing and multi-tasking as necessary. Sense of humor strongly preferred.
- Advanced (Mac) computer knowledge, including basic networking understanding and computer proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Apps.
We recognize that no one person will likely encompass all of the experience and qualities that we are seeking; thus, we welcome applicants with varied backgrounds and different applications of skills. We are committed to creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, age, or veteran status.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Since 1993, HERE has been one of New York’s most prolific producing organizations, and today, it stands at the forefront of the city’s presenters of daring new hybrid art. HERE supports multidisciplinary work that does not fit into a conventional programming agenda. Our aesthetic represents the independent, the innovative, and the experimental: HERE has developed such acclaimed works as Eve Ensler’s The Vagina Monologues; Basil Twist’s Symphonie Fantastique; Basil Twist and Joey Arias’ Arias with a Twist; Hazelle Goodman’s On Edge; Young Jean Lee’s Songs of The Dragons Flying To Heaven; Trey Lyford & Geoff Sobelle’s all wear bowlers; Faye Driscoll’s 837 Venice Boulevard; and Taylor Mac’s The Lily’s Revenge and The Hang.
The New York Times has called HERE “one of the most unusual arts spaces in New York and possibly the model for the cutting-edge arts spaces of tomorrow.” Indeed, HERE has become successful at creating a new kind of arts enterprise — the collaborative multi-arts center. In more than 25 years, we’ve supported over 15,000 artists and attracted over 1,000,000 arts patrons. We aim to integrate art into daily life and engage our community’s needs and interests on as many different levels as possible in order to ensure our regular presence in their lives.
Salary is 47-50k. Health Insurance provided.
To apply, please fill out this form.
How to ApplyTo apply, please fill out this form.
252 total views, 0 today