Internship Stonewall National Monument Intern
National Parks Conservation Association (NPCA), the nation’s leading national park advocacy organization, seeks an intern to join our Northeast office for the spring of 2021. This Northeast-based position supports NPCA program professionals to advance park protection priorities with a focus on Stonewall National Monument, the first national park site solely dedicated to LGBTQ history. To a lesser extent, the position also supports with research and engagement support for other national park sites in the northeast region, incl. Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area and Upper Delaware Scenic and Recreational River. The successful candidate is inspired by national parks; has a passion for environmental, cultural, and historical issues, and non-profit advocacy; and wants to add value to a high-performing team that advocates for park protection through partnerships and outreach. The ideal candidate possesses strong administrative skills, works well in a fast-paced environment, successfully manages projects before deadlines, can work with a variety of stakeholders, is detail-oriented, and has excellent oral and written communication skills.
This internship will focus:
- Assisting in conducting a series of online youth tours anchored at Stonewall National Monument, and related tasks, as identified by the Stonewall campaign Program Manager.
- Conducting outreach to LGBTQ organizations and community groups to engage around Stonewall National Monument and the management of contact information for these groups.
- Conceptualizing and implementing activities around the 5th anniversary of designation of Stonewall National Monument.
- Assisting with research to support the Northeast team’s campaigns around Stonewall National Monument, Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, and Upper Delaware Scenic and Recreational River.
- Assisting the Northeast team in developing outreach and engagement strategies for communities underrepresented among park visitors.
- Completing administrative tasks —such as compiling weekly Northeast national park news clippings and assisting with outreach and events— as needed.
- Assisting the Northeast team staff with additional park protection goals regarding various NE national parks as needed.
- Organized and pro-active problem-solver
- Interest in interfacing with members of the public and confidence in meeting new people (virtually).
- Interest in issues facing the LGBTQ+ community.
- Friendly and approachable demeanor.
- Basic database and Microsoft Suite experience.
- Punctual and accountable for time and work assignments.
- Commitment to the entire length of the internship.
- Comfort with on-the-ground outreach and community engagement.
- Grad-school, undergraduate juniors, seniors, post-grad preferred.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish is a plus.
- Stonewall National Monument was designated by President Obama in June of 2016 to commemorate the 1969 uprising that signaled a turning point in the LGBTQ civil rights struggle. NPCA led the campaign to establish this park and is currently working with the National Park Service and partners to develop the park’s programming, physical structure, the visitor experience, and future interpretive and archival features.
- Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area is a 70,000 acres protected area located along the middle section of the Delaware River that straddles the border between New Jersey and Pennsylvania stretching from the Delaware Water Gap northward in New Jersey to the state line near Port Jervis, New York, and in Pennsylvania to the outskirts of Milford, PA. A 40-mile section of the Delaware River, entirely within the National Recreation Area, has been granted protected status as the Middle Delaware National Scenic River under the National Wild and Scenic Rivers System.
- Upper Delaware Scenic and Recreational River provides clear water, blue ribbon fisheries, and stunning scenery only 3 hours from New York and Philadelphia. Fishermen pull prize winning trout, bass, and shad from its pools and riffles. New York City drinks from its headwaters. Within this park boundaries, 73.4 miles of the Upper Delaware River between Hancock, NY and Mill Rift, PA, are designated as Scenic and Recreational River.
This is a paid internship based out of NPCA’s Northeast Regional Office. As of January 2021, this intern will work remotely. The internship is open to candidates from throughout the Northeast, however NYC residency is a plus. Intern will work 20 hours/week from March- end of June. Pay is approximately $21/hour.
How to ApplyPlease email a cover letter and resumé to email@example.com. Attn: Timothy Leonard
956 total views, 0 today