Full-Time Staff Engagement Coordinator, URJ Six Points Speciality Camps
The Union for Reform Judaism’s (URJ) 6 Points Specialty Camps (URJ 6 Points Sports Academy, URJ 6 Points Sci-Tech Academy, and URJ 6 Points Creative Arts Academy) seeks a dynamic and passionate Staff Engagement Coordinator to help create a vibrant summer camp and year-round staff engagement experience for staff and staff alumni across all three of the camp communities. The Staff Engagement Coordinator will support all three camps and plays a vital role in the success of the URJ’s mission to create communities of belonging that build confidence and character of young people, so they are inspired as leaders to make the world a better place and pursue lifelong engagement in Jewish life. The Staff Engagement Coordinator manages each camp’s staff engagement strategy, including recruitment and retention, and offers day-to-day oversight of each camp’s staff experience, recruitment and retention of staff from a wide range of backgrounds, and professional development of staff across all three camps.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
The Staff Engagement Coordinator will report to Jayme Dale Mallindine, Director of URJ 6 Points Sci-Tech Academy, but is mentored and guided by the Directors at all three camps. The Staff Engagement Coordinator is responsible for the following:
- Serve as a member of each camp’s professional team and partner with colleagues on designated projects.
- Serve as a member of the URJ Camping System’s camping cohort and its national staffing team. Whenever possible, provide support and assistance to national efforts and initiatives of the URJ Camping System and the URJ in general, and play an active, visible role on the regional and national scene especially as it relates to the Foundation for Jewish Camp. This will include opportunities for professional development and training, attendance at communities of practice surrounding staff engagement, and timely participate in reports and calls for data.
- Support all Jewish Life programs, initiatives, and efforts on a year-round basis, especially as it pertains to staff engagement and recruitment, across all three camps. This may include a role with various activities related to the daily schedule, Shabbat programs, congregational outreach, and outreach to other Jewish organizations and programs both within and outside of the URJ (i.e., NFTY, BBYO, Hillel, etc.)
- Support the emotional well-being of staff throughout the summer in relation to the systems established by each of the camps to support these efforts.
- Assist in the mobilization of staff towards year-round URJ social justice and priority programs.
- Maintain a consistent presence as a leader within each camp’s community with respect to role modeling of institutional and racial equity, diversity, and inclusion (REDI) principles, Jewish values, supervision and accountability for all rules and procedures, and dedication in all respects to the camp’s mission and vision.
STAFF ENGAGEMENT, RECRUITMENT & RETENTION
- Responsible for engagement, recruitment, retention, and morale of summer staff for all three camps.
- Research the different staff communities at 6 Points Sports Academy, 6 Points Sci-Tech Academy, and 6 Points Creative Arts Academy, looking for opportunities for overlap in engagement and professional development needs as well as individualized programming for each camp community based on the unique nature of its members.
- Support and manage programmatic components of summer and year-round camp experiences for staff across all three camps.
- Finding, creating, and consolidating professional development opportunities relevant to the professional goals of the three different camps and then subsequently communicating those opportunities to the correct audiences This includes but is not limited to professional development opportunities related to: STEM, Creative Arts, Athletics, Education, Business, Leadership, Jewish Life, and more.
- Assistance with scheduling, coordination, marketing, and facilitation of regional visits throughout the nation with the focus on engaging new, potential, and previous years’ staff members. This includes travel during weekends.
- Maintain communications, correspondence, and provide an excellent experience for staff and staff alumni to assure the highest level of community involvement and staff retention at the three camps.
- Participate in the creation, planning, coordination and execution of staff engagement programs and events, both summer and off-season, and the initiation and/or follow-through with projects for the benefit of each camp, which may be related to existing areas of operations or new ideas.
- Identify, hire, and train staff for the three camps to be partners in achieving the camp mission while being a dedicated member of the camps’ leadership.
- Assist with the design and marketing of staff positions, participate in interview/hiring processes, and help develop aspects of the staff orientation and training for each camp to guarantee an incredible staff experience from beginning to end of their contracts and beyond.
- Support of all camp programs and activities to effectively develop staff members as leaders at camp and in the URJ network of experiences. As needed, provide guidance, support, professional development, consultation, and educational resources.
COMMUNICATION & OPERATIONS
- Participate in the preparation of the camp summer experience as it pertains to staff engagement and wellness, including inventory control, purchasing, organization, setup, and other related tasks, across all three camps.
- Help monitor and provide updates to each camp’s website, blog, and social media presence assuring a positive and engaging experience with a focus on recruiting and retaining staff.
- Maintain ongoing and direct communication with current, potential, and returning staff for all three camps.
- Create newsletters, manuals, and letters that effectively communicate camp messages, events, and professional development opportunities with staff and staff alumni.
- Administratively support operations as it pertains to staff to guarantee a quality staff experience at all levels of the staff hiring and recruitment process across all three camps.
WHO YOU ARE & KEYS TO SUCCESS (THE MUST-HAVES):
To be successful in this job, you excel in the following areas:
Organizational Knowledge. Understanding of or willingness to learn about the mission and vision of the organization, general Jewish camping field, the URJ camp system, URJ congregations, and other related partners. Ability to connect the dots between the specialty camps’ strategic visions and realities by maintaining an awareness of the big picture and focus on how to bring that to life with staff – during the summer and school year. Ability to connect that knowledge to the intricacies of its general operations, functions, and unique culture of each specialty camp.
Time Management, Organization, & Flexibility Skills. Ability to assess needs and opportunities for success and willingness to improvise, be flexible, and make changes as needed. Able to manage projects and maintain organizational skills in a multi-tasking environment.
Communication and Customer Service. Comfortable speaking with various individuals as the camp community (especially staff members, alumni, lay leaders and other supporters) is comprised of a diverse set of individuals. Open and effective communication and a relatable and professional manner with internal and external stake holders. Strong presentation skills which include a high level of comfort, confidence, and enthusiasm in front of groups. Ability to effectively and professionally represent camp and the URJ via telephone, e-mail and face-to-face communication and able share the vision for each specialty camp and their programming.
A “Can Do” Attitude. Has an outlook that is positive, assertive, and flexible. Highly motivated self-starter, willing to try new things and ask for help. Comfortable making mistakes and learning from them. Able to take on challenges with a sense that “I can do it”! A go-getter attitude and personality will help propel the team and the camp to the next level!
Enthusiasm and Wow! Has an excitement, energy, and drive to make the staff experience successful. A great candidate will be able to stand in front of large groups of adults and children to inspire the magic of camp and ignite sparks of curiosity and interest about Reform Judaism in the hearts of young people and their families. In a collaborative work setting, will love suggesting and listening to great ideas and quickly get to work implementing them. During the summer, an excitement and energy for all the camp activities and for being around kids and staff will propel this person to work hard and have fun!
REDI Experience (Racial Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion). Demonstrated experience prioritizing and executing on Racial Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion (i.e., ableism, LGBTQ+ Inclusion, antiracism, etc.) priorities.
- Occasional in-person meetings, as needed.
- Live in residence at camp during summer.
- Weekend and evening travel for staff and camper recruitment.
How to Apply
277 total views, 0 today