Full-Time Southern Regional Director
About Run for Something
Run for Something recruits and supports young progressives running for down-ballot offices in the United States. Since launching in January 2017, we have recruited more than 80,000 potential political candidates, endorsed over 1,800 and elected more than 600 — and over half of those candidates are women, over half of them are BIPOC, and 21% are LGBTQIA+. Our alumni have meaningfully and intentionally made life better for millions of Americans across the country. We are a high-reaching, hungry team changing the face of politics in America. Learn more about our work in this clip.
We have ambitious plans for 2021-2022. Read about them in our Strategic Plan here.
Run for Something Values: Bold & Fearless; Open & Honest; Supportive & Respectful; Progressive & Diverse; Long-term & Strategic.
We highly encourage all job applicants to visit our careers page to learn about our work environment, values, compensation and benefits policies, interview process, and more. The priority deadline for applications is December 14th.
Position Name: Southern Regional Director
Reporting Structure: The Southern Regional Director position reports to the Senior Regional Director.
Essential Duties: The primary responsibilities include 1) recruiting and supporting candidates who are running for — or should run for — state legislative and local offices, 2) supporting candidates throughout their campaign, including ensuring candidates are utilizing RFS resources, and 3) developing and deepening relationships with RFS partners. This position must also hold themselves to their DEI (diversity, equity, and inclusion) goals and contribute to a culture of DEI.
The Southern Regional Director is responsible for the following states:
- WV, AR, MO, MD, DC, LA, MS, TN, KY, SC, NC, VA, DC, FL, and GA
Classification: Full time, Exempt
- Candidate Support (60% of Time):
- Develops and executes plans to increase the number of young people running for local office within assigned region; prioritizing women, people of color, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and folks from other underrepresented communities
- Serve as RFS’ primary point of contact for endorsed campaigns within assigned region; ensure endorsed candidates are onboarded and receive high-level support across all facets of their campaigns
- Engage with campaigns to evaluate the campaign’s strategy and plans. Ensure all endorsed campaigns understand the fundamental mechanics needed to run a winning race; facilitate access to relevant resources, professionals, and partners
- Provide interpersonal support to endorsed candidates and their staff; help them navigate challenges faced throughout the campaign
- Keep candidate tracking database up-to-date; provide regular written and verbal updates on regional progress
- When safe given COVID conditions, this position will require travel approximately 20% of the time (2-4 regional trips per quarter) in order to provide in-person, on-the-ground support with candidates and partners. Currently, Regional Director travel is optional, based on individual employee comfort with travel and within Run for Something COVID safety policies.
- Regional Partnerships (20% of Time):
- Work to develop partnerships with progressive organizations in each state in the assigned region to support endorsed candidates
- Ensure that relationships are maintained with a diverse mix of partners at the regional, state, and local level. This includes partnerships with State Democratic Parties, legislative caucuses, local county/city parties, aligned movement + issue organizations, local progressive leaders, and grassroots organizers
- Work with partners to identify and recruit potential candidates for targeted seats, beyond traditional pipelines. Host joint candidate training and recruitment events with partners; provide early coaching support for select recruits via office hours
- Work with partners to seek out current and potential candidates who fit the Run for Something standards; ensures local RFS-eligible candidates have an opportunity to apply for endorsement
- Represent RFS at regional partner events, conferences, and relevant state table meetings. Uphold Run for Something’s reputation as a good actor in the ecosystem
- Travel to deepen relationships with on-the-ground partners in targeted states
- Keep partnership tracking database up-to-date; provide regular written and verbal updates on regional partnership progress
- Endorsements + Candidate Pipeline Support (10% of Time):
- Take a lead role in RFS’ endorsement vetting process within assigned region; work with other RFS departments and regional partners to thoroughly assess candidates for endorsement
- Send endorsement notifications and manage communication around public roll-out, within assigned region
- Support the development of innovative methods to help grow and diversify RFS’ candidate pipeline; occasionally supports the planning and execution for pipeline-facing trainings and capacity-increasing programs, events, and webinars
- Lead a national pipeline-facing ‘Candidate Intro Call.’ This virtual training discusses best practices for first-time candidates and allows members of the RFS pipeline to ask questions specific to their campaign, prior to endorsement. These calls are led by Regional Directors (RDs) on a rotating schedule. Generally, RDs can expect to lead one call every 4-6 weeks
- Internal Projects + Events: (10% of Time):
- Identify surfacing political trends, good stories, and other anecdotes that would benefit the broader organizational interests
- Represent Run for Something at public events like trainings, conferences, and relevant state table meetings
- Help grow and develop the toolbox of campaign resources RFS provides to candidates
- Provides occasional support for wider RFS initiatives
- Occasionally represents RFS at events
- Manage the RFS endorsement process for candidates across assigned states
- Maintain communication with and support for a large portfolio of endorsed candidates throughout the entirety of the election cycle
- Evaluate and understand the dynamics around multiple races throughout the election cycle – based on factors including, but not limited to: campaign progress, candidate needs, and election competitiveness. Allocate time and resources accordingly
- Cultivate and sustain relationships with local, state, and national partners
- Play a leading role in the vetting and endorsement process for assigned region
- Ensure candidate and tracking databases are updated regularly
- The Southern Regional Director will need to live in one of the states they are representing (LA, MS, TN, KY, MO, SC, NC, AR, VA, WV, MD, DC, FL, or GA)
- Three or more cycles of campaign experience, preferably at the state or local level
- Thorough understanding of how politics works at the state and local level
- Strong relationship-building skills and the ability to manage multiple projects
- Ability to work independently for extended periods of time in a remote environment
- Willingness to travel. Each quarter, Regional Directors are expected to take up to four multi-day trips to states within their region
- Commitment to diversity in our candidates and partners
- Strong commitment to the RFS mission
- Demonstrated ability to work in and contribute to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment
- Ability to demonstrate Run for Something’s organizational values: Bold & Fearless; Open & Honest; Supportive & Respectful; Progressive & Diverse; Long-term & Strategic. (Learn more about our Values in our Strategic Plan.)
- Experience in local politics in more than one of the states in your region
- Fluency in more than one language
- Strong public speaking skills
- Pluses if you are based in DC, FL, GA, or NC
We value diversity at RFS, and strongly encourage applications from folks who are a part of marginalized communities who have been disproportionately affected by lack of representation in legislative bodies, including people of color, women, and the LGBTQIA+ and disabled communities.
In order to prioritize the health and safety of our employees, all Run for Something employees are required to provide proof of COVID vaccination. Run for Something will discuss reasonable accommodations with employees who may be unable to receive a vaccine due to disability, the advice of a medical provider, or sincerely held religious beliefs.
- Run for Something is (and always has been and will be) a remote office environment; you will collaborate with colleagues who are based across the United States. You should be prepared to either work from home or a location of your choosing.The RD will need to live in or relocate to the region that they are representing; please note that Run for Something does not cover relocation or moving costs.
- This position will require some nights and weekends work; including GOTV support, election night watch, and candidate events on occasion.
- When it is safe to do so, this position will require approximately 2 all-staff events per year, which may include overnight travel.
- This position requires the ability to work set, core hours, Monday through Friday
- This position will require travel approximately 25-30% of the time, including overnight travel.
Essential Physical Requirements
- This position requires frequent travel, as described above. This may include airplanes, car travel, or trains. The candidate must possess a valid driver’s license and be able to travel throughout areas that require transportation by car. The candidate must be able to conduct overnight travel when necessary during these trips.
- The person in this position frequently communicates with candidates, staff, and partner groups via phone, including conference and video calls. Regional Directors must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
- The position requires the ability to work on a computer for all or part of the work day.
- The position requires the ability to attend events that may encompass all or part of the work day.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary for the Regional Director is set at $86,300. In order to counter pay inequality and uphold internal parity, salaries are non-negotiable for new and current employees. Run for Something salary bands for a given staff level are benchmarked to the 75th percentile for our sector, and all new employees are paid at the entry point of those bands. Employees then have the opportunity to progress through current salary bands through annual cost of living increases and performance-based pay increases, and into new salary bands through promotions.
Learn more about our compensation policy here.
Benefits at Run for Something include:
- Unlimited Paid Time Off policy
- Platinum Medical Insurance (100% of premium covered for employees; 50% of premium covered for dependents)
- Dental and Vision Insurance (99.9% of premium covered for both employees and dependents)
- Professional Development Stipend
- Treat Yourself Stipend ($500 a year to do something that brings you joy)
- Equipment Stipend
- Work from Home Stipend
- Cell Phone/Internet Stipend
- Half Day Fridays (year-round!)
- 12 weeks paid family leave
- Paid Sabbatical (after 3 years of work at RFS)
- ~ Four weeks in organization-wide holiday closures, including a two-week winter break
- Flexible, remote work environment
Click here and fill out the form to apply.
We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis, with priority review given to earlier applications. The deadline for applications is noon, January 3rd, 2022. The target start date for this position is March 7th, 2022. Please note that the Run for Something offices are closed from December 20th-January 3rd. Screener interviews will not be scheduled until the week of January 3rd.
Learn more about our interview process here.
No phone calls, emails, or social media inquiries, please. Due to the volume of applications, we are unable to respond to individual inquiries. We know that applying to jobs is difficult, and we do our best to alert every applicant as to their status in the process. However, be aware that you may not receive a response from us until after the application deadline has passed.
How to Applyhttps://jobs.lever.co/RunForSomething/3ef101c7-6a97-4a8d-97b7-0caf6495df88/apply
63 total views, 1 today