Full-Time SOJC Student Experiences Coordinator
The School of Journalism and Communication (SOJC) is an accredited research and professional school serving approximately 2,200 undergraduates and 100 graduate students both on the University of Oregon campus in Eugene and at the George S. Turnbull Center in Portland. Degrees offered are the BA, BS, MA, MS and Ph.D., as well as a minor in Media Studies. The school also supports the interdisciplinary major in Cinema Studies and interdisciplinary minors in Multimedia and Native Studies. The SOJC employs approximately 125 individuals as faculty and staff, over 50 graduate employees as well as roughly 50 student employees. The School is one of the oldest journalism programs in the nation, founded in 1916.
The Student Experiences Coordinator is the first point of contact and curator of facilities, equipment, and training related to the School of Journalism and Communication (SOJC) catalog of hands-on learning initiatives in the SOJC Student Experiences HUB. This position consults with SOJC students, faculty and Partners to make production, equipment and crew recommendations to help with faculty projects, research, and programs.
Serving as a key instructional technology specialist in support of hands-on learning for the SOJC, the Student Experiences Coordinator oversees the daily operations of the SOJC Student Experiences HUB. Responsibilities include the following: maintains the library of print and media guides and coordinates workshops for equipment and facilities contained in the SOJC Student Experiences HUB; consults with student executives of SOJC-affiliated student groups to ensure that students make room and event requests that follow SOJC and UO policies; assists with logistics and policy orientation for SOJC field trips and study abroad; and coordinates the submission of student work for student media and scholastic competitions. In collaboration with SOJC Building Manager and SOJC OPS IT staff, this position also coordinates the set-up, maintenance and removal of student work in exhibit spaces in Allen Hall.
The Student Experiences Coordinator reports to the SOJC Academic IT Manager and supervises students responsible for event support and after-hours technical support in the SOJC Student Experiences HUB.
This classification requires a basic foundation of knowledge and skills of technology and information systems generally obtained through an AA degree in computer science, information systems, educational technology, communications, or related fields, or similar certified course work in applicable fields of study and at least one year of related work experience.
• Excellent communication skills with the ability to discuss highly technical issues with non-technical people.
• Excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize and track required functions with attention to detail.
• Ability to take initiative and have the confidence to make independent decisions, knowing when and to whom to refer a wide range of problems and inquiries.
• Exhibit a high level of interpersonal skills with demonstrated poise, tact, and diplomacy.
• Ability to interpret and apply guidelines, policies, and procedures.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability and/or commitment to working with faculty, staff, and students from diverse backgrounds in an inclusive, welcoming environment; ability to effectively work and communicate with individuals from different cultural backgrounds.
• Excellent problem-solving and collaboration skills.
• Ability to work independently and manage multiple priorities.
• Bachelor’s degree with courses in an electronic media.
• Experience with technology demonstration and/or mentoring others in media production equipment or emergent technology.
• One year of experience in an instructional setting working in media or related technology.
• Experience working with partners on media projects.
FLSA Exempt: No
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background inquiry.
This is a classified position represented by the SEIU Local 503, Oregon Public Employees Union.
The University of Oregon is proud to offer a robust benefits package to eligible employees, including health insurance, retirement plans and paid time off. For more information about benefits, visit http://hr.uoregon.edu/careers/about-benefits.
The University of Oregon is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the ADA. The University encourages all qualified individuals to apply, and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected status, including veteran and disability status. The University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. To request an accommodation in connection with the application process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 541-346-5112.
UO prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression in all programs, activities and employment practices as required by Title IX, other applicable laws, and policies. Retaliation is prohibited by UO policy. Questions may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, Office of Civil Rights Compliance, or to the Office for Civil Rights. Contact information, related policies, and complaint procedures are listed on the statement of non-discrimination.
In compliance with federal law, the University of Oregon prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and services. The Annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at http://police.uoregon.edu/annual-report.
Advertised: 30 Sep 2019 Pacific Daylight Time
Applications close: 25 Oct 2019 Pacific Daylight Time
How to ApplySpecial Instructions to Applicants Along with your online application including three professional references, please upload the following items: • A cover letter highlighting how your experience meets the professional competencies listed • A current resume Please apply online at: http://careers.uoregon.edu/cw/en-us/job/524712/sojc-student-experiences-coordinator Please submit application materials by October 25, 2019
44 total views, 1 today