Please login/register to apply for this job.
19 Jan 2023

Internship Site Steward Canyonlands Field Institute

UCC Recruiter – Posted by UCC Recruiter Anywhere

Job Description

Contract Period: August 1 -November 15, 2023

Location: Near Moab, UT (Professor Valley Field Camp)

Compensation: This is an Individual Placement AmeriCorps position under the auspices of Utah Conservation Corps. This is a 675-hour term of service. The successful applicant receives a living stipend and educational award upon completion. See table below.

Position Summary:

The Site Steward is based at Professor Valley Field Camp, a rustic facility on private land located 20 miles from Moab, UT. The camp is surrounded by open space, world class views and spectacular night skies. The Field Camp has two yurts, 15 tipis and storage barn and is used for environmental/outdoor education.

The Site Steward is responsible for grounds and trails, basic facility upkeep, assisting with meals and leading a weekly service project. The Site Steward primarily works with middle and high school groups though will also support a few adult and family programs.

Duties:

  • Approximately 60% of the duties will be related to improvements and grounds work funded by a Utah Office of Outdoor Recreation infrastructure The remaining 40% will be duties in support of Environmental Education programs at the site.
  • Perform removal of invasive plants and utilize in permaculture berms, new plantings, manage and monitor irrigation drip system.
  • Light facility upkeep such as culinary water testing, routine cleaning, organizing
  • Plan and lead short service learning with school
  • Assist camp cook upon
  • Drive crew shuttle for school one day river trips near
  • Assist with one or two public outreach events and service
  • Assist with data, photography and interviews for grant reporting and media
  • Conduct Adopt a Site monitoring for archaeological site in Professor

Training/Professional Development you will receive:

  • Organization mission, values, vision, long range
  • Field Camp
  • Driver training (must be 21 years minimum for insurance).
  • Permaculture, local flora, fauna and
  • Hand tool use and maintenance including weed
  • Outfitter style camp
  • Volunteer/service-learning management

Position Requirements:

  • Be a United States citizen, U.S. national, or a lawful permanent resident alien of the United States.
  • Have a high school diploma or GED or work towards obtaining one while in the It is a requirement to obtain a high school diploma or GED before one is eligible to use the Education Award.
  • Must be clear of any record on the National Sex Offender Public Must have a criminal record clear of any conviction(s) for murder.
  • A valid driver’s license, 21 and older, provide Motor Vehicle Report, clean driving record for 3 years, and reliable vehicle.
  • Minimum of Basic First Aid &
  • Physical ability to lift 30
  • Be comfortable living in a remote location, at times entirely alone and at others with large groups
  • Enjoy working with youth aged 12-18; pass Utah Background Clearance to work with
  • Physically able to work outdoors 8-10 hours a day in a range of weather
  • Live on site at Professor Valley Field Camp; no
  • A positive and professional manner with diverse
  • The successful applicant will need to provide their own reliable vehicle. Mileage reimbursement will be provided by CFI for personal vehicle use for work (errands, to and from town).

Compensation:

  • Housing provided (valued at $500 month; RV or Wall Tent).
  • Meals provided during CFI

Note: No laundry provided. No pets. No tobacco use. Guest policy in effect.

AmeriCorps Benefits
 

Available Position Dates

AmeriCorps Term Length 

Living allowance1

 

Ed Award2

August 1 – November 15675 hours$6,353.00$2,417.14

1Living allowance stipend is taxable and is disbursed on a biweekly basis. The amount presented is the total gross amount. Forbearance on qualifying student loans may also be an option while in service.

2Education awards—individual must complete term of service dates and minimum hours of service to be eligible to receive the education award. Find out how you can use your education award HERE

How to Apply

Please send a cover letter, resume, First aid/CPR certification, Motor Vehicle Report and 3 references to:  founder@cfimoab.org

Job Categories: Equal Opportunities. Job Types: Internship. Salaries: Less than 20,000.

Job expires in 76 days.

23 total views, 1 today

Apply for this Job