Full-Time Sexual Health Testing Counselor & Case Manager
POSITION: Sexual Health Testing Counselor and Case Manager
OPENINGS: Two positions with desired start date of 7/1/2020
REPORTS TO: Sexual Health Program Coordinator
STATUS: Non-Exempt, Full-time 40-hours per week, Tuesday – Saturday 12-9 p.m.
COMPENSATION: $18-20 per hour
BENEFITS: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, FSA; Employee Assistance Program; 401(k) program; Paid Holidays, Sick, and Vacation
LOCATION: South Sacramento, CA
Under the supervision of the Program Coordinator, the Sexual Health Testing Counselor and Case Manager provides HIV and STI counseling and testing. Triage HIV-positive patients into medical care and provide case management. Coordinate, schedule, and conduct outreach events to specifically target Black gay and bisexual men and transgender clients of color; and create and sustain working relationships with businesses and community members where outreaches will be conducted, primarily in South Sacramento.
This position contributes to program goals to increase awareness, decrease HIV/STI infections in the LGBTQ community and provide support to those living with HIV/AIDS. In select instances, the Sexual Health Testing Counselor and Case Manager will serve as a liaison to various groups and community partners, in particular the Black community of South Sacramento, as well as supervise a team of dedicated interns and volunteers. People of color and trans-identified individuals and People Living with HIV/AIDS are encouraged to apply.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide HIV and STD counseling, testing, outreach, and education for the Sexual Health Program at the Sacramento LGBT Community Center South Sacramento location as well as other designated off-site locations.
- Accurately complete risk assessment forms, lab requisitions, and additional written materials.
- Collect and collate oral and finger prick blood samples for testing
- Provide counseling on HIV risk reduction activities and support referrals for people who test positive for HIV
- Enter data and prepare internal and external reports
- Follow universal safety precautions at all times and maintain strict confidentiality.
- Maintain accurate logs regarding client tests, confirmatory results, and missing results.
- Provide and maintain a safe and secure atmosphere,
- Expand the accessibility of testing through testing partnerships in neighboring counties, community events, and mobile testing
- Develop and maintain a clinically appropriate working relationship with clients and refer to appropriate needed services, resources and opportunities
- Assist clients with completing application processes (paperwork, phone calls, linkage to providers, etc.) for insurance enrollment, co-pay programs, and benefits programs concerning coverage and payment
- Provides direct client advocacy and referrals needed to facilitate rapid appointments for treatment and care
- Works with community agencies and organizations in order to establish referral network for Black community members in South Sacramento
Prevention & Outreach
- Provide sexual health education, resources, materials and referrals via peer group session facilitation to inform LGBT individuals and youth about safer sex practices and high-risk behaviors
- Nurture an atmosphere in which clients feel understood and seen by advocates who are aware of health disparities facing Black communities
- Develop innovative outreach and marketing strategies to reach those most at risk and may otherwise avoid more traditional care settings, linking them with the primary care physicians and increasing internal program participation
- Coordinates and develops a data base to track distribution of prevention barriers (condoms, dental dams, and lubricant)
Leadership & Relationship Management
- Recruit, select, direct, evaluate, and support a team of health program volunteers and interns
- Develop and maintain appropriate training protocols and retention strategies for volunteers
- Evaluate and develop accurate lists of referral sources and relationships with providers throughout the community
- Collaborate with other organizations, case managers and medical providers to achieve common goals of our mission, values and strategic plan through meetings, trainings and other events
- Recruit and maintain a Black Leadership Council of local South Sacramento community members that convenes monthly
Program Operations & Knowledge Management:
- Develop the necessary systems, processes and tools to better support the facilitation, collection and sharing of knowledge, data and narrative success stories generated by programs.
- Assist in anticipating and planning for the logistical, budget, and staffing needs of the programs.
- Analyze trends within programs, identify issues, report outcomes and recommend changes as appropriate.
- Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence by establishing benchmarks, timelines and the resources needed to achieve strategic goals, proactively driving improvements as necessary; set standards for accountability and measurements of success.
- Research and attend continued education via webinars, seminars, and community learning events.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Passion for the Center’s mission and work to create a region where LGBTQ people thrive and a commitment to follow all policies and procedures of the organization.
- Experience working with the LGBTQ+ community and familiarity with issues of particular relevance to LGBTQ+ people including social justice movements and civil rights policy.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience (paid or volunteer) in HIV/STI testing and counseling, prevention services, or supporting people living with HIV/AIDS.
- Extensive knowledge of HIV/STD infection, transmission and prevention; knowledge of community resources and referrals; biomedical interventions including PrEP and PEP.
- Knowledge of Trauma Informed care, Positive Youth Development, and Harm Reduction models.
- Experience with ADAP and PrEP assistance programs.
- Experience with group facilitation, collaborative decision-making, and conflict resolution.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills; public speaking, facilitation, and coalition building capabilities to balance interests, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Highly organized and able to work independently to manage multiple program components simultaneously and integrate with a larger team.
- Understanding of grant project management including activity design and data collection to ensure contract deliverables.
- Must have a strong knowledge and connection with the South Sacramento Black community.
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in social work, human services, public health, education, or related field is required; 3 years of directly related experience may be substituted for formal education.
- Strong consideration will be given to those who have completed Basic HIV/HCV Test Counselor Skills Training and/or phlebotomy training. Certification must be obtained within 90 days of employment.
- Ability to speak/read/write English is required; Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
- Proficiency working with computers and Microsoft Office software including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneDrive, database systems, and social media tools is required.
- Access to reliable automobile transportation with a valid driver’s license and proof of insurance is required. This position may on occasion be required to drive rented vehicles and/or our Mobile Outreach Unit RV.
- The person in this position may be required to sit or stand for extended periods, maneuver tight storage space, move objects up to 50 pounds, ascend/descend stairs, operate computers, copiers, and other office equipment, open and close filing cabinets and boxes, observe visitors, and communicate messages and tone by telephone.
- Offers of employment may be contingent on satisfactory results of a criminal history background check.
- Employees must be legally permitted to work in the United States.
- The Sacramento LGBT Community Center is a drug free workplace; employees may be subject to a drug test.
How to ApplyEmail a cover letter AND resume as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title in the subject line; or submit a cover letter indicating the position you are applying for and application/resume to 1015 20th St., Sacramento, CA 95811. For more information visit saccenter.org/careers. No phone calls please.
695 total views, 0 today