Full-Time Senior Application Architect
We have an exciting opportunity for Senior Application Architect to join our Digital Technology Group. The role could be based from 1 of several offices across the UK and EMEA. Our Digital Technology Group is looking to expand its digital development capability by hiring a Senior Applications Architect to ensure that applications are designed and developed within a coherent digital architecture and technology framework. The applications we are developing have web and mobile clients, incorporate advanced visualisation and analytic technologies, leverage the latest in ML/AI and are delivered globally from the cloud. We continually experiment with new technologies to enable us to provide better solutions faster and this role would play a key part in helping us identify and employ these.
As a member of the Digital Development leadership team, you will be working collaboratively with colleagues in in Arup’s Digital teams and businesses, with our clients and within the Digital Technology Group. You will bring creativity, technical knowledge and architectural experience that will support the design development of new products and services, as well as reviewing and improving the architecture of existing applications, as needed.
In this role, you will advise business, project and product development teams on the most appropriate architecture for the applications they wish to develop, taking into account: functionality, scaleability, maintainability, cost to develop and operate, available developer capability, cloud services etc. You will develop and design application architectures using existing frameworks and microservices where available or developing proposals for new ones where needed. You will also help evaluate build vs buy options, guiding teams to acquire and adapt where appropriate solutions are available.
In addition, you will support the design and development of key platforms that we are developing to be deployed and customized across Arup as a core part of our Digital vision. This role will play a leading role in Arup’s Digital Architecture Authority, as well as being active in Digital Development’s Application Architects Forum; promoting and supporting the use of design frameworks and common services.
Digital Technology is a team of professionals collaborating globally to support and enable over 20,000 colleagues and clients.
Customer focused with a service mentality, we design and develop software, protect and run the firm’s digital infrastructure, support and maintain applications and data platforms, deliver projects, manage risk, provide consultancy and partner with strategic vendors to help enable the Arup Strategy and Digital Vision.
We’re committed to transforming our catalogue of technologies to provide secure, resilient services and innovative, digital tools which will enable our members to embrace new ways of working and deliver value for our firm and clients.
Skills/Experience required for the role
• Proven applications architecture experience that includes cloud native and mobile products and services delivered commercially.
• You have an appreciation of future directions that the business and technology are moving towards
• A talent for and demonstrable experience in designing effective, resilient, high performance, distributed system architectures/platforms and with serverless architectures.
• Extensive experience of commercial grade software engineering, preferably in data intensive environments
• Experience with a wide range of development software: front-end (Angular, React, Node.js etc), database (SQL/NoSQL), middleware, mobile etc.
• Expert, demonstrable experience in cloud computing platforms, preferably AWS
• Experience of developing continuous integration/deployment workflows and tools, and supporting others in using these
• A track record in software engineering best practice and in helping others to adopt these.
• Extensive experience with agile methodologies, test-driven development
• You have a passion for diversity, recognizing the innovation and competitive edge that comes from a diverse highly skilled team where equal opportunities are truly valued.
Desirable Knowledge & Experience
• Hands-on experience with commercial grade software development
• Experience of big data analytics frameworks (e.g. YARN, Hadoop, Spark), message queuing frameworks (e.g. Kafka), and distributed databases (e.g. Cassandra, ElasticSearch)
• Built environment and/or engineering experience, or at least a strong interest and desire to create market leading propositions for this market.
• Input to bids, tenders, and conditions of engagement, and control significant investment spend in the bid/tendering process.
• Commercial management skills in administering project controls change process and financial forecasting on a monthly basis.
• Experience with TOGAF and Service Design methodologies.
• Experience in Open Innovation / Open Source development.
• Experience of working in multinational, multicultural environments where local needs must be balanced against global considerations
Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
Shape your time with us
How can we best work with you? Whether you’re a parent, a carer, a student, or just have a busy lifestyle, it’s not always easy to commit to standard working hours. At Arup you have access to a range of flexible working options – including flexible start and finish times, working from home or working part-time. If you’re interested in any of these options, please let us know when you apply and we’ll discuss how this could work in your role.
Reward and Benefits
Arup offers an outstanding benefits package including healthcare, 401k match, time off and profit share.
How to ApplyWhat happens next? If this could be the next step in your journey, please apply online using the link below: https://tas-arupjobs.taleo.net/careersection/jobdetail.ftl?job=LON00014H&lang=en All applications will be considered and we will try our very best to respond to you within 72 hours of receiving your application.
23 total views, 1 today