Full-Time SDA Project Controls Manager
£47,600 – £56,000 per annum (plus benefits)
Are you a Project Controls Manager interested in working with industry partners, providing through-life support for the UK’s fleet of submarines?
The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) require a Project Controls Manager, with relevant regulated industry experience, to join their expanding team. The Project Controls Manager will oversee an expanding team of Ministry of Defence Project Control staff (up to 8). The successful candidate will work closely with the MOD and Babcock Project Managers to inform programme decision-making and will be responsible for developing and delivering Project Controls operating plans across a variety of high-value and complex projects.
The programme level schedules for each Major Infrastructure Project contain key milestones and deliverables. The schedules are baselined as part of business case approvals and are reviewed monthly to understand the variances, review the forecasts, and discuss risks and opportunities against critical path activities. The outputs from these reviews inform monthly progress meetings and Project Boards. The Project Controls Manager’s role is integral to enabling the successful delivery of these Major Infrastructure Projects.
The UK operational submarine capability is reliant upon the infrastructure that supports it and certain elements of the infrastructure at Devonport need to be rebuilt in order to provide the required levels of support to maintain operational submarines as well as for the disposal of submarines once out of service and decommissioned. The timelines to deliver the required outcomes for these Major Infrastructure Projects in the next few years are very demanding.
To act as the delivery agent for this scope of work, the Devonport Infrastructure team stood up as a new team within the Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) earlier this year with around 40 civil service staff based in Abbey Wood, Bristol and in HMNB Devonport. The main delivery pillars within the team are associated with maintaining the underpinning artefacts and the enterprise infrastructure modelling capability, and the Major Infrastructure Projects themselves that deliver submarine new berthing and docking capability at Devonport. Each of the dock / berth projects are Major Infrastructure Projects and use contracts with Babcock Naval Nuclear to deliver their scopes of work.
The Project Controls Manager (L4) is responsible for:
Developing and overseeing the delivery of Project Controls discipline operating plans and discipline performance within their projects or portfolio, including:
• The quality and timeliness of cost estimates, budgets, financial reports, risk management and schedules that define the Performance Measurement Baseline
• Ensuring project baselines are under robust change control and the approval of impact analysis and estimates of proposed changes
• Monthly reporting including the generation of portfolio/project dashboards, financial reports and associated analysis and recommendations
• The effective implementation of functional procedures used for estimating, for monitoring and controlling cost and schedule and for earned value management
• Performing audits to ensure the quality of estimating, cost engineering, planning/scheduling and earned value activities
Directing or undertaking day-to-day project controls activities including:
• Cost estimating, analysis and control activities
• Schedule development, maintenance, monitoring, impact identification and recovery plan development activities
• Earned value management analysis and control activities Managing workforce planning and staffing plans within their project or portfolio
• Identifying, analysing and providing innovative solutions to cost management and
• planning/scheduling problems
• Providing direct input to business cases, strategic plans, customer presentations, bid evaluation and contract negotiations
• Making presentations to management and customers.
Building and sustaining capability:
• Managing personnel, administration and skills development within their project or portfolio
• Managing the implementation of functional training programs within their project or portfolio
In order to meet the requirements of the post, it is essential that you meet the following essential criteria:
• Level 6 qualification (e.g. BEng/BSc) in relevant subject matter (or suitable relevant experience)
• Significant experience of leading and delivering Programme and Project Controls within a relevant, heavily-regulated environment (e.g. defence, rail, aero, construction, energy)
• Experience using Primavera P6
• Interpersonal, communication and relationship building skills, with demonstrable experience of working collaboratively with teams, across functions and with senior stakeholders
• An understanding of Project Management methodologies
It would be beneficial if you have the following desirable experience/qualifications:
• Member of the APMP (or equivalent body)
This role would suit experienced Project Control Managers with proven expertise in supplier management, delivering projects, complex acquisition and procurement. A background in Defence is not a prerequisite and we welcome applicants from a spectrum of industries and sectors. If successful, you will lead the project controls team across the Devonport Infrastructure Major Infrastructure Projects and be responsible for initiating and maintaining performance measurement baselines, directing and integrating all aspects of Earned Value Management (EVM), scheduling, risk management, providing analysis and reporting of progress, and driving agreed recovery actions. In addition, the Project Controls Manager will be responsible for co-ordinating the formal corporate reporting of project progress and ensuring robust Change Control is applied so that the Projects deliver to an approved baseline of work.
Please note that, due to security requirements, this role is limited to SOLE UK NATIONALS ONLY.
Please note that you may be considered for similar positions at the level below the advertised role.
What’s in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market leading employer pension contributions of around 21% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with plenty of opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Find out more about what we offer by clicking here or by using ‘The Little Book of Big Benefits’ booklet PDF at the bottom of this page.
Applicants should be aware that any move across the Civil Service on or after 5 October 2018 may have implications on an employee’s ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
About SDA and your team
The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) is an Executive Agency of the Ministry of Defence responsible for the procurement, in service support and disposal of the UK’s nuclear submarines. Our work is of unparalleled strategic importance nationally and internationally, ensuring the security of the UK’s continuous at-sea nuclear deterrent, and delivering the most technically complex programmes in Defence. We employ over 1400 people and have an annual spend of c. £3.5 billion.
The Project Controls Function is responsible for providing the right information, at the right time, to support better-informed decisions. Driving accountability, responsibility and efficiency across DE&S, our Project Controls teams are involved in all phases of every project helping to predict and oversee the time and cost management of these projects. From Estimating, Risk Management and Cost Control, to Planning and Scheduling and Project Controls Management, our people are crucial to the successful delivery of our work.
How to ApplyFollow link to apply Please click here to apply
115 total views, 3 today