Full-Time Scientist (Synthetic Biology)
Who we are: Switch Bioworks is an early-stage biotech startup that spun out of Stanford in 2022. Our mission is to feed a growing world sustainably by displacing industrial nitrogen fertilizer that is damaging the planet. To do this, we use synthetic biology to engineer the plant microbiome for controllable fertilizer production. We are looking for talent to join our team of 15-20 researchers to help us realize our vision. Some call it a moonshot. We call it an earthshot.
Company culture: We give a damn, move fast, and take care of the team. We promote growth (of people and plants), cultivate diversity, switch on and off, and persevere. That’s not writing on the wall, we really care and embody our values (more on the website)
About the position: As a strain engineering Scientist I or II, you will lead our charge in developing genetic circuits for non-model organisms that switch in soil and on plants with real-world relevant inducers. You will work with research associates and scientists to design and build fertilizer producing strains, test their performance in response to stimuli in vitro, and study their effect on plant growth promotion and community composition in the rhizosphere.
Characteristics of a successful candidate
- Alignment with and excitement for our values. We really care about this, not just talking about it.
- Ability to work full-time in the US and be on-site in the California Bay Area.
- Ability to start no later than October 15.
- PhD in life sciences (or similar level of experience) plus 0-5 years of additional research experience in industry (preferred) or academia.
- Strongest candidates will have domain expertise in one or more of the following: engineering non-model microbes (including the chromosome), engineering nitrogen fixation and metabolism, designing genetic circuits, plant-microbe interactions.
- An independent thinker, able to contribute new ideas and read the literature.
- Excellent presentation, writing, and data analysis skills; ability to clearly communicate technical information to colleagues.
- A team player, including excitement to recruit, train, and work with research associates.
- An execution-focused self-starter – a generalist problem solver with drive to acquire new skills as needed. Positive can-do attitude.
Salary range: $130,000 – $170,000
How to Apply
E-mail the following to email@example.com:
(1) your resume
(2) a paragraph or cover letter about why you’re excited to join Switch
(3) when you’d want to start.
We’ll take it from there!
47 total views, 1 today